Everything You Need to Know about the US DollarBeing the largest city in Texas-U.S.A, the currency used in Dallas is the United States Dollar(USD). It is also sometimes referred to as the dollar($) or American Dollar. The United States issues paper money and coins for monetary uses. The paper money has seven denominations: USD 1, USD 2, USD 5, USD 10, USD 20, USD 50, and USD 100 whereas, the coins are available in denominations: 1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cent, 25 cents, and 50 cents. The United States has discontinued bills of larger denominations, such as USD 500, USD 1,000, USD 5,000, and USD 10,000. Plus, a bonus for the tourists and locals if you have any mutilated or torn money bills, you could get them exchanged at the local banks or BEP (Bureau of Engraving and Printing).
6 Places for Currency Exchange in Dallas
1. Currency Exchange InternationalWith over 100 company-owned retailed locations and on-demand foreign currencies, Currency Exchange International aims to provide the best currency exchange experience to its clients in Dallas. CXI has a service network spread across all of Dallas. Moreover, in addition to currency exchange, it also issues Multi-currency cash passports, Prepaid MasterCards, cashes American Express foreign and US traveler's cheque, and sells bullion. Open seven days a week, CXI provides the best currency exchange rates. Their exchange rate card that beats the local banks or airport rates and an on-spot currency exchange makes CXI the go-to spot for currency exchange in Dallas.
2601 Preston Rd Frisco, Texas 75034
6121 W Park Blvd #1000 Plano, Texas 75093
2. Travelex Currency ServicesIf you are looking for a quick currency exchange in Dallas, Travelex Currency Services offers an easy currency exchange without any hassles. Just order your currency online and collect it from any Travelex store in Dallas. Travelex also offers cash or Prepaid MasterCards for your trip overseas.
8687 North Central Expressway, Suite 2328 Dallas, TX, 75225
Contact Information: (877) 414-6359
Open Hours: 10.00 AM to 9.00 PM,
Sunday: 12.00 PM to 6.00 PM
3. Altour American ExpressSkip the delay of bank currency exchange or the local money changers with Altour. With competitive rates and Altour's over six locations in Dallas, it offers currency exchange in Dallas at reasonable exchange rates. Travelers can also opt for American Express gift cards for transactions at any store or share with their loved ones.
333 W Campbell Rd Suite 440, Richardson, TX 75080
Contact Information: (469) 467-0675
4. Currency Exchange in ATM'sA convenient way to exchange currency in Dallas is via ATMs. An ATM in the destination country is a viable option as it will dispense the money in local currency at current exchange rates. It is best to use your home bank card issuer ATM as they might or might not charge a small transaction fee on withdrawal. Call your home bank branch in advance and check for all these details before you arrive at your destination. Some of the major bank ATM's are listed below:
1. Bank Of America ATM
2377 N Stemmons Fwy, Dallas, TX 75207
100 Crescent Ct STE 30, Dallas, TX 75201
3021 Bachman Dr, Dallas, TX 75220
5200 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75235
2. American Airlines Credit Union Branch & ATM
4301 Regent Blvd #110, Irving, TX 75063
2337 S International Pkwy, Dallas, TX 75261
2400 Aviation Dr. Terminal D, Gate, D24; Rm, Dallas, TX 75261
Gate, Terminal C, 2400 Aviation Dr. C12, Dallas, TX 75261
5. Currency Exchange in BanksLarge banks like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc., offer currency exchange for their bank customers. Visit the bank branch to know about the ongoing exchange rates and get your currency exchanged conveniently. Plus, Bank of America and Wells Fargo customers have an additional advantage to order their foreign currency online through their mobile banking app and get it delivered to their address. Plus, if you are a BOA preferred rewards client, you will be discounted on the exchange rates and no shipping cost.
1. Wells Fargo Bank
Location: 1445 Ross Ave Ste 100, Dallas, TX 75202
Contact Information: (214)-740-1577
Location: 6535 Skillman St, Dallas, TX 75231
Contact Information: (214)-342-9993
Location: 3450 W Illinois Ave, Dallas, TX 75211
Contact Information: (214)-330-6293
Location: 2611 Cedar Springs Rd, Dallas, TX 75201
Contact Information: (214) 758-1100
2. First-Citizens Bank
Location: 2626 Howell St Suite 110, Dallas, TX 75204
Contact Information: (214) 665-3400
Location: 2400 Dallas Pkwy Suite 160, Plano, TX 75093
Contact Information: (214) 360-1100
3. Bank of America
Location: 901 Main St, Dallas, TX 75202
Contact Information: (214) 209-1370
Location: 100 Crescent Ct STE 30, Dallas, TX 75201
Contact Information: (214) 740-1728
Location: 400 S Zang Blvd, Dallas, TX 75208
Contact Information: (214) 948-2207
Location: 5500 Preston Rd, Dallas, TX 75205
Contact Information: (214) 559-6300
4. Bank of Texas
Location: 6201 Hillcrest Ave, Dallas, TX 75205
Contact Information: (214) 525-5043
Location: 4262 Live Oak St, Dallas, TX 75204
Contact Information: (214) 515-1743
Location: 201 W 12th St, Dallas, TX 75208
Contact Information: (214) 574-1248
Location: 6701 Preston Road Dallas, TX, 75205
Contact Information: (214) 525-7665
6. Texas Currency ExchangeTexas Currency Exchange is another viable option for locals or tourists who want to exchange currency in Dallas. It offers the buying and selling of over 70 currencies. With the best rates, no appointment, proper ID, Texas Currency Exchange provides the desired cash-in-hand in minutes.
Location: The Shops at Willow Bend, 6121 W Park Blvd #1000, Plano, TX 75093
Open Hours: Monday through Saturday: 12 PM – 7 PM, Sunday: Closed
Contact Information: (469) 304-4999
7 Tips for Currency Exchange in DallasNow that you know about the plethora of outlets for currency exchange in Dallas, there are, however, a few tips that you must keep in mind before exchanging your currency.
1. Check the Exchange RateIt is advisable to spend some time knowing the exchange rate before your travel to your destination. Keep in mind not always the exchange rate will be the same. The exchange rate fluctuates frequently owing to the market forces. Few websites to check the exchange rates are:
2. Know Your Home Bank PartnershipsBefore embarking on your trip, call your bank to check if their ATMs are available in the destination country. It is always prudent a little cash handy with you as soon as you arrive overseas. It, especially, is useful for small fares, like paying for the taxi, etc. Some banks may charge a transaction fee on the credit/debit, whereas some might not.
3. Use Your Credit/Debit Card for TransactionsUsing your credit card/debit card is a popular way to spend overseas. Banks use the current exchange rate, and many waive foreign currency transaction fees, ATM-use charges. It can help you save over 3 percent on your transactions overseas.
4. Avoid Currency Exchange in Hotels and Airport KiosksCurrency exchange in hotels and airport kiosks cost an unreasonable amount of exchange rates and charge the highest fees. Therefore, avoid currency exchange at these spots.
5. Avoid Traveller's Cheque and Prepaid Debit CardsTraveler's cheques are not efficient and carry transaction fees. Plus, they are not safe in terms of security in comparison to cash. Prepaid debit cards, however, have foreign transaction costs, ATM-use charges, card fees. Always check with your bank beforehand for any additional charges.
6. Check the Mid-market RateShould you plan to exchange currency in a bureau, it is best to have first-hand knowledge about the mid-market rate or the actual market rate. The mid-market rate and the exchange rate offered by the bureaus should not deflect much. Hence, it is best to check the mid-market exchange rate on Google or transferwise.com/us/mid-market-rate website to avoid overpaying and save yourself from fraudulent rates.
7. Spend all your foreign currencyIt is best to spend all of your foreign currency. If you have some left, you might have to exchange it again, which will cost you twice the exchange rate. Either save it for a friend who plans to travel overseas in the future or purchase a gift card in ALTOUR or any other bank!
The bottom line is if you do a little homework before embarking on your trip overseas, you can spend money frugally and save yourself from fraudulent exchange rates. While saving money and streamlining currency exchange in Dallas, this comprehensive guide is perfect for a glance over before your next tour to Dallas!