Housing the best French Cafes in India, Pondicherry is a foodie's paradise and is a great place for you to try out new gourmet cuisines from around the world. Here is a list of 10 best cafes in Pondicherry -
1. La Maison RoseLa Maison Rose is a boutique styled restaurant which depicts French architecture in its grandeur. The backdrop of this cafe in Pondicherry is a historic villa which lets you enjoy its French colonial style and offers a special feeling of your soul being at bliss. If you prefer dining amidst nature's serene beauty, then this place would complete awe you. The tables are arranged neatly under mango trees which offer a great ambience and perfect solace from the outside world.
Must Try: Lamb Chops
Location: 8 Rue Romain Rolland Street, White Town
Timings: 10:30 AM - 10:30 PM
2. Le CaféLe Café is located on the beach road and is the only seafront café in Pondicherry. What differentiates this café amidst others is that it is open round the clock. So, whenever you are in dire need of a drink or want to quench your insatiable appetite, then you don't need to keep track of time. Relax on the chairs facing the Bay of Bengal and soak in the cool blue water. This sight would take away all your pressure and would keep you mesmerized for hours. The cool breeze blowing by acts like a topping on the cake. A bite of the masala omelette to go with a hot and steaming cup of cappuccino would indeed take you into a different world altogether. The sun basking away to glory with its golden sunlight shimmering, the sky turning a crimson red and the sound of waves splashing by is a sight to marvel. It approximately costs around INR 450 for two.
Must Try: French fries and Lasagna
Location: No.40, Beach Rd, White Town
Timings: Open 24 hours
PRO TIP: Go there late at night to avoid the crowd
3. SatsangaSet amidst lush greenery, this open-air café offers continental cuisine along with a breezy atmosphere. It is the perfect spot to spend your evening in Pondicherry. It offers an intimate atmosphere and personates warmth.
Must Try: Juicy green pepper steaks and buttery lemon pies
Location: 54, La Bourdonnais Street, Near PWD New Head Office
Timings: 10 AM - 11 PM
4. Well CafeWell café is located inside Auroville and soothes your eyes with its untiring view of the forest roads on the route. Salads, hummus falafel and burgers are some of their speciality. You can find the perfect blend of Mediterranean food along with a spectacular view at the Well Café. This rustic forest café would surely whirl you to your forest trip which you had always planned to experience.
Must Try: Hummus and falafel
Location: Opposite Upasana Auroshilpam, Auroville
Timings: 9 AM - 5 PM; Sundays closed
5. Cafe de FloreIt is a small café at Pondy's Alliance Francaise. Simple yet delicious food with a lovely courtyard is what this café offers proudly. Mouthwatering pasta, fresh burgers made using fresh farm veggies and delicious Nutella crepes would surely top your list.
Must Try: Crepes are a must have for every connoisseur
Location: 37 Dumas Street, Maison Colombani - Alliance Francaise
Timings: 8:30 AM - 6 PM; Mondays closed
6. Rendezvous CafeA Pondy trip is incomplete without friends. This café offers the perfect ambience for a long convivial chat with your friends over a cup of hot steaming coffee or exotic seafood sizzlers. It is considered as one of the most popular cafés in town and offers the perfect peace of mind either in its air-conditioned lounge or on the garden terrace where you can gaze at the sky lit by the shining stars.
Must Try: It is a great place for all steak lovers. A delicious assortment of Apple Pie, Chocolate Mousse, Tiramisu, Ratatouille, Bruschettas, Pork Ribs are amongst their must have.
Location: #30, Rue Suffren Street, Puducherry
Timings: 12 PM - 3:30 PM & 6:30 - 10:30 PM; Tuesdays closed
7. TantoTanto is known for its terrific pizzas with fresh garden toppings. The café is set amidst a lush green garden with trees and plants offering the perfect setting for a romantic movie scene. Tanto's pizzeria offers the best Italian cuisine along with its ever-smiling staff. If you are Joey from the famous TV series F.R.I.E.N.D.S, then Tanto is where you should head out. With a great range of pizzas and an assortment of seafood, you would definitely not want to leave.
Must Try: Ice Tea, Tiramisu, Panna Cotta, Iced Tea, Lasagna, Chicken Pizza and Spaghetti
Location: Main Road, Near Iyyanar Koil Kullapalyam, Auroville
Timings: 12:30 AM - 3:15 PM & 6:30 - 9:15 PM; Tuesdays closed
8. Cafe Des ArtsCafé Des Arts propounds a Bohemian charm and an eccentric ambience. This café offers a vintage setting and would mesmerize you with its French Décor. With Gazpacho, sandwiches baguette and luscious fondant au Chocolat on its menu, this boutique doesn't fall short on surprising its guests. Their Hibiscus flower syrup drink is a must for all alike. Cost for two would range about INR 800.
Must Try: Waffles, Banana Nutella Crepe, Masala Chai, Baguette Sandwich and Croque Provencale
Location: 10, Suffren Street, White Town
Timings: 10 AM - 7:00 PM
9. Coromandel CafeClassy indoors with ample natural lighting and the garden set up outside of it in this cafe will definitely leave you in awe. The colonial-era theme is a tell that it serves English and French cuisines. Enjoy the sea breeze while you sip one of their speciality cocktails.
Must Try: Coffee Macchiato, Cheesecake, and Cucumber Martini
Location: 8, Romain Rolland St, White Town
Timings: 8:30 AM - 10:30 PM
10. Bread and ChocolateSet in the serene Auroville township of Pondicherry, it is a small bakery cum cafe in Auroville with the choicest items on the menu. Although the options are limited you can definitely expect to have a hearty and healthy breakfast. It is a popular hotspot for croissants and chocolate offerings in the city.
Must Try: Breakfast Board, Croissants, Apple Tart, and Hot ChocolateAnd voila! You can refer this list and use it at your disposal for the most amazing cafes. We hope you gain an experience which is one of a kind. Don't forget to check out these amazing cafes and their mouth-watering food the next time you are in Pondy.
Location: Auroville Main Road, Kuilapalayam, Auroville
Timings: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM