Here are some favourite foods in Pondicherry:
1. Prawn Risotto and Chicken Biryani, Le Dupleix
Surround yourself with some French aesthetic ambience and fulfil your food fantasies within the beautiful restaurant of Le Dupleix. Situated near the sound of the waves, this restaurant offers some of the best cuisines, including French, Continental, and North Indian. You heard it right! A North Indian special in a southern part of India is goals. Le Dupleix speciality is its prawn Risotto and everyone's favourite Chicken Biryani. Enjoy the Italian rice dish with a combination of prawns which leave a delightful taste to your buds. Along with this, the restaurant also delivers a lip-smacking Chicken Biryani. These dishes deserve a 5 star!
Address: 5, Caserne Street, White Town.
Timings: 12 noon – 3:00 PM, 7:00 – 10:30 PM, Also Happy Hours - 4:00 PM Till 6:00 PM from Monday to Thursday.
Cost for two: INR 1500
Prior Reservations are also accepted.
2. Maison Meen Kuzhambu, Maison Perumal Hotel & Restaurant - By CGH Earth:
The Maison Meen Kuzhambu is a special curry served by the Maison Perumal Hotel & Restaurant maintained by the CGH Earth Hotels. This hotel cum restaurant is an alluring piece of architecture with majorly French influence. Their single serving of this curry is a mouthful of happiness. The curry is fish cooked in various customary spices and served with a considerable portion of rice. The dish is delicious and complementing the Tamil cuisine. With a pleasant place to spend your vacation and along with some fantastic food in Pondicherry, this place deserves a visit!
Address: 44, 58, Perumal Koil St, Heritage Town.
Timings: Check in time 2:00 PM, Check out Time: 11:00 AM
For Reservations: +91 484 4261711/ [email protected]
3. Multani Paneer Tikka, #Dilliwaala 6:
#Dilliwaala 6 is a place for those veg lovers who miss their veggies and the fragrance of the Dal Bhaat. This restaurant is a creative mixture of impressive interiors as well as serving vegetables with such grace that even a meat lover would love it. The restaurants must-have is their Multani paneer tikka. A dish in Pondicherry that will ooze your taste buds with flavours and will keep you hungry for more!
Address: 6, Rue De La Marine, White Town, Puducherry.
Timings: Monday to Friday - 12 Noon to 10:30 PM and during Saturday & Sunday - 7:30 AM to 10:30 PM
Contact: 0413 420 1223 or (Order from Swiggy)
The average cost for two: INR 800-1000 (Tax excluded)
4. Pineapple Sheera & Medu Vadas, Madhuram Multicuisine Veg Dining:
Madhuram Multicuisine Veg Dining is within the Abirami Residency of Puducherry. The Madhuram Veg Dining is primarily known for its deliverance of multi-cuisine food in Pondicherry along with pure Jain food, which is perfect for vegans as well. However, the restaurant is home to some delicious Medu Vadas, a South Indian delicacy that will blow your mind. The softness, as well as the crispiness of the Vadas, is to die! Also, the 'pineapple sheera' offered by them combines flavour and technique to deliver a tasty sweet dish! A must visit.
Address: Abirami Residency, 92, Anna Salai, Heritage Town
Timings: 7:00 AM to 10:30 PM (On all Days)
Contact: 0413 2229881 (For Reservations)
The average cost for two: INR 250-300
5. Minced Beef Patties, Villa Shanti:
Villa Shanti is yet another great place to stay and dine the most authentic of food within Pondicherry. Great ambience, along with delicious food and pleasant music besides your partner, is a dream come true. The minced beef patties were fantastic and served with a pile of yummy French fries and pepper veloute sauce on the side. The other dishes offered by them range from a wide variety of cuisines and have excellent presentation and flavours! This place is a must-visit for food in Pondicherry.
Address: 14, Rue Suffren, Pondicherry.
Timings: 8:00 AM – 10:30 PM (On all Days)
Contact: +91 413 4200028
Average cost for two: INR 1500-1800
6. Khowsuey on Mission Street:
Khowsuey is a famous dish of Pondicherry and is a street side delicacy. Also known as Kaukswe, it is a coconut base vegetarian curry (non-vegetarian option is available too) which is served either on rice or noodles and with a garnishing of crispy noodles. Khowsuey is must-have food in Pondicherry. This favourite dish is majorly on the famous mission street, where a small food cart delivers this bowl of happiness!
Address: Opposite Café Xtasi, Mission Street.
7. Tamarind Fish Curry & Ratatouille, Carte Blanche
Carte Blanche is famously known for its French ambience and the Creole cuisine. Noted as one of the famous restaurants in town, it has a reputation of serving some delicious non-veg food that will make you go for a second round. Of all its dishes, Tamarind fish curry and ratatouille are some of the customer favourites. The fish curry oozed with spices and herbs while the ratatouille had a Pondicherry touch to it. This place deserves a thumbs up!
Address: 17, Romain Rolland St, White Town.
Contact: +91 915 955 0341
The average cost for two: INR 1200-1500
8. Set Meal & Nutty Affair, The Smoothie Bar:
The Smoothie Bar is small and decent cafe situated near Aurobindo Street. The cafe offers some wild fast food combinations and some lip-smacking milkshakes to calm your guts. Their Set Meal and Nutty Affair are one of the most famous and loved picks from their menu, and a must try for those food lovers who love their patties, sausages and fries!
Address: 26, Sri Aurobindo Street, Mission Street Crossing, Heritage Town.
Timings: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Contact: 0413 4206655
The average cost for two: INR 500
9. Mutton Rolls, The Kati Roll ShopGathering ardent roll and wrap fans from all over Pondicherry, this food joint’s signature mutton rolls on Mission Street are made with tender and spicy shredded mutton, stir-fried and wrapped in hot and fresh parathas. Vegetables, eggs and other South Indian condiments are used for flavouring to add a unique tropical taste. These mutton rolls make great on-the-go snacks with fish cutlets on the restaurant menu and full meals as well for non-vegetarian lovers.
Address: 52 Ambalathadayar Madam, Mission Street, Heritage Town
Timings: 11am - 10pm, open daily
The average cost for two: INR 300
10. Kannava Pepper Fry and Steamed Rice, Appachi ChettinadInspired by cooking styles and ingredients of Malaysian, Singaporean and Indonesian cuisines, Chettinad is Pondicherry’s own twist to South Indian gourmet food. Kannava Pepper Fry is a Chettinad special seafood prepared with sumptuous, thick cuts of fish, marinated in a variety of sauces and peppered broth, and finally steamed to perfection. The fish is topped with a mixture of fresh herbs, whole red chillies and saunf and served with your preference of rice. Alternatively, you can pair it with different mutton and chicken delicacies.
Address: 11 Ranga Pillai Street, MG Road
Timings: Monday - Sunday- 12:30pm - 3:30pm and 3:30pm - 10:30pm
Contact: (0413) 2227419, 2220613
The average cost for two: INR 700
11. Pondy Moussaka, SatsangaOffering palatable seafood straight off the sea and dishes cooked with organic vegetables, this beachfront restaurant is renowned for their Moussaka. Borrowed from the Greek cuisine, Moussaka is an acclaimed comfort food in Pondicherry made with eggplant and deep-fried potatoes. The regular Moussaka at Satsang is served hot with a portion of steamed rice, oil-dipped, sauteed vegetables and red wine. Other must-try dishes to perfectly complement your meal at this eatery include ratatouille and beef steak.
Address: 54, Rue Labourdonnais, Beach Road, White Town
Timings: Monday - Sunday- 10am - 3pm and 6pm - 11:30pm
Contact: (0413) 222 5867
The average cost for two: INR 1,000
12. Pesto Chicken Pizza, New Farm Fresh
Traditional brick oven-made, wood-fired pizzas are a rare find in Pondicherry, where New Farm Fresh stands as a coveted restaurant serving authentic Pesto Chicken Pizza. The classic Italian dish is made with a fresh mix of pizza dough and herbs, topped with Pesto sauce, layers of Parmesan cheese, olives, basil leaves and mildly roasted Balsamic chicken chunks. You can order smalls, mediums and large pizzas along with crispy and chocolate-y desserts. Another version of their Pesto Chicken Pizza is prepared with buttermilk, thin crust and mouth watering Buffalo chicken.
Address: 6 Saint Theresa Street, White Town
Timings: Monday - Thursday: 12am - 10:30pm and Friday - Sunday: 12am - 11pm
Contact: (0413) 222 0002
The average cost for two: INR 1,300
13. Spinach Crepe, Les AlizesThough spinach crepes are an authentic French dish, Lez Alizes puts a spicy twist to the delicacy. The dish is made with a customisable set of ingredients like pre-cooked meat, spinach, mushrooms and spices tucked into a cheesy flatbread. Savour the creamy mushroom toppings and finely-textured spinach paste filling with melted feta cheese oozing onto your palate. The menu also has non-vegetarian spinach crepes, with choice of calamari chicken fillings or stacks of fried and sliced mutton. To add a final gourmet touch, finish your meal with refreshing fruit beer and cocktails.
Address: 4, Bussy Street, White Town
Timings: 7:30am - 10pm, open daily
Contact: (0484) 426 1711
The average cost for two: INR 1,600
14. Paper Dosa, Surguru
Dosa is one of the first things to pop up on every foodie’s mind when South India is mentioned. Combined with exotic French and Chinese flavours, Surguru’s cookie-cut Paper Dosa is sought after by every local in Pondicherry. Their paper dosas are extra-long with thin and crispy texture, roasted until sizzling hot and light brown. This staple dish of Udupi cuisine is served with grainy sambar and 4 types of chutneys. Each bite fills your mouth with distinct sweet, spicy and tangy flavours. Wash it all down with a fresh glass of orange juice.
Address: 104, Sardar Vallabhai Patel Salai, Near Aurobindo Ashram, Heritage Town
Timings: 6:30am - 11pm, Monday - Sunday
Contact: (0413) 430 8084
The average cost for two: INR 500
15. Mushroom Bondas, Mission Street
Bondas, a kind of potato snack, are an integral part of everyone’s street food preferences in Pondicherry. Though all of South India has its different version of the dish, mushroom bondas on Mission Street take the spotlight for their green peas, mashed potatoes and delicious sauteed mushroom stuffings. They are deep fried into ball-shaped fritters made with chickpea flour batter and dosa batter. Sweet and spicy chutneys accompany these delicacies. Mission Street is also Pondicherry’s pocket-sized paradise for bondas made with fish, chicken, beef and prawns.
Address: Opposite Cafe Xtasi and Delhi Chilly, Mission Street
The average cost for two: INR 300
16. Chicken Satay, Bay of BuddhaAs progressive as Pondicherry has always been, this East Asian dish has been adopted by meat lovers as a tasteful amalgam of Malaysian, Inodnesian and Indian cuisines. Chicken Satay is made by seasoning lean cuts of boneless chicken, skewering and grilling it on bamboo skewers. The fragrant herbs and spices in the Chicken Satay marinade pop up beneath the grilled skin on portions at Bay of Buddha. It is served with your choice of coconut milk broth, peanut butter broth or soy sauce.
Address: The Promenade, 23, Goubert Avenue, White Town, Puducherry
Timings: 7am - 10:30pm, open daily
Contact: (0413) 222 7751
The average cost for two: INR 1,500
17. Crab Masala Fry, The House of SeafoodPondicherry’s expanding and large seafood-eating community considers Crab Masala Fry to be one of the quickest and most delicious main courses. This is an authentic Chettinad dish with characteristic curry or coconut seasonings and Coromandel flavours. A mixture of freshly cut vegetables and condiments are mixed, sauteed until brown to make the masala and then roasted with an entire, juicy crab. The Crab Masala Fry is glazed with oil and served hot alongside gravy and appam.
Address: 181/9 East Coast Road
Timings: 11am - 10pm, Monday - Sunday
Contact: 091599 20222
The average cost for two: INR 700
18. Keema Parathas, Hotel RolexSelling out from the wee hours of morning till late after midnight, Keema Parathas are loved by a large community of friends, families and entrepreneurs in Pondicherry. Hotel Rolex cooks the dish with minced chicken or mutton, sauteed with green peas and marinated in coconut milk with herbs, tomatoes, onions and spices. The parathas are cooked in layers of ghee and butter, giving them a soft yet rich consistency. A few parathas with one or two servings of lip-smacking Keema are sure to keep you full throughout the day.
Address: 2 Gluber Bazaar, Anna Salai
Timings: 6:30am - 1am, closed on Tuesdays
Contact: 094434 68147
The average cost for two: INR 400
19. Indian Enchilada, Kasha Ki AashaIndian Enchilada is a vegetarian fusion food served at Kasha ki Aasha to match their boutique colonial interiors. The dish consists of two large and fluffy chapatis stuffed with a South Indian lentils recipe, including tomatoes, onions and savoury spices. A dash of melted cheese is added to bring out the authentic European enchilada flavour. The enchiladas are served piping hot with fresh cream and a wholesome portion of any choice in salad. To finish off your meal, grab their signature cinnamon vanilla crisps dessert.
Address: 23 Rue Surcouf Street, White Town
Timings: 9am - 11pm
Contact: (0413) 222 2963
The average cost for two: INR 700
20. Buckwheat Crepes, Crepe in TouchOwing to its Portuguese and French heritage, buckwheat crepes are a hit in Pondicherry. Crepe in Touch prepares the crepe in a traditional oven-baking method which leaves the buckwheat flour softly baked. They are dipped in butter and topped with a variety of appetising items. Caramelised bananas, ham, eggs, cherry tomatoes, fresh cream, pesto sauce, bacon and chocolate. Hibiscus juice and cold coffee are also popular drinks at this family-friendly restaurant.
Address: 29, Needarajapayar Street, MG Road AreaPondicherry is a beautiful town, with its amazing beaches, temples, and French architecture. However, when it comes to some flavoursome food in Pondicherry expect it all with its spices, herbs, and the deliverance of first-class quality dishes along with excellent service!
Timings: 9am - 6pm, closed on Monday
Contact: 097878 10756
The average cost for two: INR 800