To make it a tab bit easier, we've compiled some of the best Indian restaurants in Colombo that you should definitely give a visit:
1. Maharaja Palace
Serving an array of Indian cuisine ranging from the famous spicy Delhi chaat to Hyderabadi Chicken biryani, Maharaja Palace in Colombo can be best described as classy and extravagant. The Indian food served here is pretty good, and there is also a bar at the back serving an impressive collection of wines. Although the exterior may seem a bit overdone with coloured windows, the interiors are strikingly simpler. Also, Maharaja Palace has an extremely well-mannered and friendly staff so you can expect to get excellent and quick service.
Where in Colombo - 1A Rajakeeya Mawatha, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11: 30 AM - 2:30 PM & 6:30 PM - 11:30 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 5000 (approx.)
Kandoori is a famous Indian restaurant in Colombo serving Indian, Western, Chinese and Sri Lankan cuisine at reasonable prices. The food here is nice, and most visitors have reviewed their staff to be quite helpful and attentive. The most famous dish of this restaurant is Biryani along with other delicacies such as Naan bread, Indian curries, and Nasi Goreng. The restaurant also serves large and filling portions, where two can share one dish. This spacious eatery housed in welcoming ambience is always kept clean and well-lit.
Where in Colombo - 17 Charlemont Road, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11:30 AM - 11 PM (Sat - Thu) ; 1:30 PM - 11 PM (Fri)
Cost for two - LKR 1000 (approx.)
3. Indian Summer Restaurant
Serving delicious North Indian dishes, the Indian Summer restaurant is extravagant and classy housed in rich ambience. Indian Summer restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating areas; with outdoor cushion-covered chairs and cosy indoors with an elaborative ceiling. While the food on the menu includes items such as rotis, meat dishes, and biryani, the drinks range from smoothies, milkshakes and juices. Mutton kebab, butter naan, and faluda are some dishes that are really good at this place. Also, the service is simply excellent.
Where in Colombo - 42 Horton Place, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11 AM - 11 PM (Sun - Thu) ; 11 AM - 12 AM (Fri - Sat)
Cost for two - LKR 3500 (approx.)
4. Agra Restaurant
Agra Indian restaurant is a well- known place for serving North Indian cuisine in Colombo. Since the chefs working here are from North India themselves, the dishes ace the taste-game. Designed in compartmentalized seating, dim lighting, live Indian music, and air conditioning, the restaurant setting is perfect for every occasion ranging from a date night to family dinner.
Although the food is quite expensive, the delicious meals definitely make up for the pocket crunch. Baingan Bharta and Chicken Hyderabadi complemented with butter naan are some must-try dishes. So, if you are searching for Indian restaurants in Colombo and are willing to spend a few extra bucks for a delicious Indian meal, then this place is worth considering.
Where in Colombo - 100/10 Sri Lanka Foundation Mawatha, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11:30 am - 11:30 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 4500 (approx.)
5. Spice CoastWith several dishes exhibiting exotic Indian and Chinese flavours at Spice Coast, it is one of the best Chinese and Indian restaurants in Colombo. Since this restaurant is located on Marine Drive, it also provides a breathtaking view of the Indian Ocean. Also, if you are a spicy food fanatic, then this is just the perfect place. Some of the items that you can expect on the menu include salads, curries, various soups, rice, noodles, desserts and beverages such as tea, coffee, and fruit juices; with hot butter cuttlefish, chilli crab, and Chicken Biryani being some of the specialities.
This simple, clean and well-lit restaurant can house about 25-30 people at a time. The staff members working here are extremely polite and quick, so you wonâ€™t have to wait long to relish your order. Since the prices are quite affordable as well, Spice Coast is a decent place to visit if you are craving Indian or Chinese cuisine.
Where in Colombo - 39 A/1 Marine Drive, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11 AM - 11 PM (Mon-Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 2000 (approx.)
6. Thalis Restaurant Indian Vegetarian CuisineLocated on the Park Road, Thalis Restaurant Indian Vegetarian Cuisine is one of the best South Indian restaurants in Colombo. This massive place serves both North Indian and South Indian cuisine at affordable rates. Serving an extensive menu, the staff here are also well versed with the variety and can guide you through your choices.
The inside of Thalis restaurant is very decent, homely, clean and simple; with not many decorative items lining the wall. Also, people working in this place are very accommodating, so if you want some extra rice or curry, then all you have to do is ask. If not in the mood for lunch, then visit this place for some savoury and delicious sweets as it serves quite a few tasty Indian desserts.
Where in Colombo - 155 Park Road, Havelock Town, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11 AM - 11 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 1500 (approx.)
From Bhel Puri and Vada Pav to Pav Bhaji, Onion Kachori and North & South Indian Thalis, Shanmugas Indian Restaurant is one of the best Indian restaurants in Colombo. Although the food here is a bit on the high-end, the vast menu promises satisfaction.
This house-converted restaurant houses a decent ambience with extremely friendly, professional and well-mannered staff. If you plan on visiting Shanmugas, we recommend you to reserve your tables in advance, as the place can get crowded quickly.
Where in Colombo - 53/3 Ramakrishna Rd, Colombo 00600, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 10 AM - 10 PM (Mon - Fri); 7:30 AM - 10:30 PM (Sat - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 2000 (approx.)
8. Indian Chaat Corner
Indian Chaat Corner is mini food-joint in Colombo run by a family. Best known for serving amazing Indian street food, North Indian cuisine, short eats and sweet delicacies, Indian Chaat Corner serves an array of affordable food items such as Samosa Chaat, Dahi Puri, Sev Puri, and Chicken Biryani. This chaat centre is also a house-converted eatery, where the hall of their house is used as the seating area. Also, remember to knock or call a few times for them to let you in since they are yet to install a bell.
Where in Colombo - 32nd Lane, Wellawatta, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours -10 AM - 11 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 650 (approx.)
9. Sri Suryas Hotel
Sri Suryas Hotel is one of the finest Indian restaurants in Colombo serving a large variety of South & North Indian dishes. The prices here are similar to an average Indian restaurant. The food is also so delicious that you would crave a return once you eat here. Paneer Butter Masala, Garlic Naan, Ghee roast dosa, and South Indian thali are some of the must-try dishes at this place. The hotel is housed in glass-partitioned booths, that are overall air-conditioned in a clean atmosphere.
Where in Colombo - 255 Sea Street, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 7 AM - 10:30 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 800 (approx.)
10. Chola Authentic Indian RestaurantLocated on Lily Avenue, Chola Authentic Indian Restaurant is a fancy place serving South Indian, Mughalai, North Indian, Chettinad, and Chaat food items. Although a little expensive, the food here is worth the expense. The chef working at Chola are Indians, which explains the exotic flavour of each dish. Paneer Butter Masala and Butter Naan are especially a must-try combo at this restaurant.
Another aspect that makes this place better than others is its extensive pictorial menu that will help you better choose your dish. This homely restaurant can take up to 50 people at a time. You can choose to sit outside or in either of the two indoor rooms. Although the staff is said to be friendly and well-mannered, the orders may not be served very quick.
Where in Colombo - 37 Lily Avenue, Wellawatta, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 11:30 AM - 3 PM & 6:30 PM - 11 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 6000 (approx.)
11. Taj Samudra Hotel - Navratna RestaurantOffering the finest Indian dining experiences in Colombo, Navratna is one of the luxurious Indian restaurants in Colombo situated in the 5-star Taj Samudra Hotel. Featuring a Mughal ambience, this fancy place is filled with sitar and drum players playing soulful music. The staff working here are amicable and quick, so you can expect to be served shortly after your order.
Also, there are two things you need to keep in mind when you visit this restaurant. Always ensure prior reservations before visiting the restaurant as it gets pretty packed most of the time and do not over-order here as the Indian dishes are pretty filling. Tandoori, paneer, Dum Biryani with saffron, and Butter naan are some of the must-try dishes at this restaurant. Given that it is located in a 5-star hotel, this restaurant is on the pricey side so you might want to look at their food prices before going if you have any budget restraints; though the authentic taste of the dishes definitely makes up for the price.
Where in Colombo - Taj Samudra Hotel, No 25 Galle Face Center Rd, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Opening Hours - 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM (Mon - Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 5000 (approx.)
12. Amaravathi RestaurantLocated on the Mile Post Avenue Kollupitiya in Colombo, Amaravathi Restaurant is a well-known restaurant serving authentic North and South Indian cuisine. This place serves a wide range of South Indian, Tandoori, Chicken, Mutton and Chinese dishes, Raithas and Salads, desserts, fresh juices, and hot and cold beverages. There are also many options for starters and various rice options. Also, some of the specialities of Amaravathi Restaurant include Mutton biryani, Butter prawn masala, and Butter naan which you might want here. The decent ambience and warm hospitality are also some of the reasons behind the popularity of this place.
Where in Colombo - No. 2, Mile Post Avenue Kollupitiya, Colombo, Sri LankaThe authentic food served at these joints mostly involve Indian chefs; hence, you are rest assured of the taste. How many of these restaurants have you been to? Which of these are your favourite? Have we missed out on any? Let us know in the comments below!
Opening Hours - 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM & 6:30 PM - 11 PM (Mon-Sun)
Cost for two - LKR 1500 (approx.)