If you are on a trip to Colombo and want to avoid the hassle of taking public transport, the best option would be to rent a car. Car lenders are all over Colombo, and it’s effortless to rent cars of different price ranges according to your requirements.
Some of the best places for car rentals in Colombo are:
1) Cason’s rent-a-car:Here you can rent a car and have to drop it back at the head office. It's a leading Rent A Car Company in Sri Lanka having the largest fleet. You can get rental cars & chauffeur driven vehicles at reasonable rates. The cost of renting depends on whether you choose an economy or luxury car.
Price ranges: Economy cars cost LKR 5000 per day. Luxury cars like Mercedes Benz cost LKR 1,68,000 per day with no hidden charges.
Timings: They work from Monday to Sunday for 24 hours.
Head Office Address:
181, Gothami Gardens,
Gothami Road, Rajagiriya,
Colombo 08, Sri Lanka.
Airport pick up and drops.
Budget Taxi services.
Chauffeur Driven Tour packages
Breakdown services anytime in 24 hours.
Fully insured vehicles.
Deposit & Rental to be paid in advance.
Customer should possess valid Drivers Licence (International / Sri Lankan) & passport.
Customer will be requested to sign the regular ”Self Drive Rental Agreement ” before each rental.
Any deviation from the confirmed pick up/return times on your voucher could incur extra charges.
2) Sixt rent a car, Colombo:This place has many renting stations throughout the city, making it one of the most efficient car dealers.
Timing: Open 24 hours throughout the week.
The price range of rental cars: Rental cars range from LKR 5000 per day to LKR 2,00,000 per day.
Airport station: Colombo International Airport.
City stations in Colombo: Parliament road, City centre mall, Crescat boulevard, Delivery service, Marina mall and Shangri la.
Vehicles available: Sports cars, convertibles, SUVs, minivans, economy and luxury models.
Upgrading on Sixt can get you some good deals.
Rent a car in advance and include your preferences like a child seat or GPS online.
Free cancellation and reservation changes when you pay on arrival.
No hidden costs
No credit card fees
Excellent 24/7 customer service
Drop off policy:
The vehicle must be returned only at the location or rental station identified by Sixt. In case the car is left elsewhere, the renter is responsible in case of any damage.
The car must be returned within 72 hours after the rental period is over and in the same functioning condition in which it was received.
3) Malkey Rent A Car (Pvt) LtdMalkey is one of the oldest rental car providers in Colombo and provides budget cars as well as luxury cars like Rolls Royce and BMW. With slightly higher charges, the quality of service offered by Malkey is wholly satisfactory. One can rent a car with or without a driver.
Address: 58 Pamankada Rd, Colombo, Sri Lanka. The cars are to be rented from here and dropped off here only.
Timings: Open 24 hours throughout the week.
Cars provided and price range: Cars of Toyota, budget cars and vans cost between LKR 15000 per week to LKR 50000 per week. The rent of BMW, Mercedes and Rolls Royce can go up to LKR 600000 per week, and these are available on special arrangement and must be booked in advance.
They also offer a range of classic and vintage cars for weddings, commercials, movies etc.
Payment can be in both card and cash.
They provide a replacement vehicle anytime in case of an emergency.
4) Ameri Rent A CarThis car rental company in Colombo has been in business for over 40 years and is one of the most reliable and trusted car rental agencies in Colombo. Ameri is also a member of The Rent A Car Association of Sri Lanka (RACA). They are known to provide a cost-effective and hassle-free service.
Address: 43 School Lane, Colombo-03, Colombo 00300, Sri Lanka.
Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm.
Saturday: 8:30 am to 2 pm
Cars available: Apart from the economy and luxury cars, Ameri has a stunning collection of vintage cars like Austin 12/4 Ascot Saloon, Austin 12/4 Clifton Tourer and a Hillman Grand Tourer.
The minimum rental price is for Suzuki Alto is LKR 3000 per day, and the maximum goes as high as LKR 50000 per day for luxury/continental cars on special arrangement.
Pickup and return of car:
Any pick up or return in odd hours, i.e. before 8 am and after 6 pm are possible by prior appointment only.
There will be some extra payment for every hour after the scheduled time.
5) Advent travels and rents a carThey started renting cars in the year 2010 and since then, have provided quality maintained vehicles. They have a 24-hour hotline service to provide breakdown services.
Address: Sri Jinarathana Rd, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Timings: Monday to Saturday from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm.
Cars Provided: They provide economy and semi-luxury cars. Toyota Corolla 110 limited with AC costs 2600 LKR per day, and Toyota Carina costs about 3000 per day.
Tips for renting car in Colombo:If one books a rental car two weeks earlier, one may rent a car at a below-average rental price.
Rental cars in airport locations are 3% cheaper than those in off-airport rental places in Colombo.
Economy cars like Hyundai i10 are cheaper for renting and thus are rented mostly.