Here is a list of major Airports in Tamil Nadu:
- Chennai International Airport
- Coimbatore International Airport
- Madurai International Airport
- Tiruchirapalli International Airport
- Tuticorin Airport
- Salem Airport
- Puducherry Airport
1. Chennai International AirportChennai International Airport serves the city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu. It is the 4th busiest airport in India after Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. It is the 47th busiest airport in Asia. The airport handles more than 400 aircraft movements in a day. It was the first airport in India to place international and domestic terminals adjacent to each other. The airport also serves as the regional headquarters for the Airports Authority of South India, comprising of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka and Kerala along with the union territories of Puducherry and Lakshadweep. Prepaid taxis are available round the clock at the airport. The airport also has a metro station which connects the passengers to various parts of Chennai city. It's the 2nd airport in India to support a metro system after Delhi.
The Airport has amenities like lounges, cafes, ATMs, 24/7 restaurants, duty-free shops and child care room. It is well connected to cities like Ambattur, Avadi, Tirupati, Nellore, Pondicherry and Bangalore.
2. Coimbatore International Airport
Located at Peelamedu, about 13 km from the city centre, Coimbatore International Airport is the primary airport in the city of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. It is the 19th busiest airport in India in terms of passenger flow, 16th busiest in terms of aircraft movement and 14th busiest in terms of cargo handling. It is the second largest airport in Tamil Nadu, in terms of passenger traffic, after Chennai International Airport. It is also a growing hub for Cargo transportation. Frequent bus services to the airport are available from Gandhipuram, Singanallur and Ukkadam bus stations.
Cab services and auto-rickshaws are also available at the airport 24/7. The airport is connected to cities like Ooty, Munnar, Bangalore and Chennai.
3. Madurai International Airport
Madurai International Airport is located about 12 km from Madurai railway station and is the 4th busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic and aircraft movement in Tamil Nadu. Madurai airport is a major airport in the state which serves the city of Madurai along with nearby districts such as Kodaikanal, Rameswaram and cities like Bangalore. A city bus service is available for passengers from the airport along with car rental counters. This makes travel from the airport to the city centre an easy option for passengers. Sri Meenakshi Temple, Gandhi Museum, Thirumalai Nayak Palace and Azahaqar Kovil are some tourist attractions nearby the airport.
4. Tiruchirappalli International Airport
Serving Tiruchi in the state of Tamil Nadu, Tiruchirappalli International Airport is built on the Tiruchirappalli and Pudukkottai National Highway. It is about 5 km from the city centre. It is the 2nd largest airport in international passenger traffic in Tamil Nadu. The airport covers an area of 702 acres. The Bus Stand in Tiruchirapally is about 13 kilometres from the Airport and it takes nearly 30 minutes to reach. The Trichy junction, Trichy Fort Railway Station, Manjattidal railway station, Ponmalai railway station, Palakkarai Railway Station, Srirangam Railway Station and Tiruchirapalli Town Railway Station are the nearest railway stations to the airport. Taxis are available at the Airport.
5. Tuticorin Airport (Thoothukudi Airport)
Tuticorin or Thoothukudi Airport is 16.9 km from the main city. This airport serves the districts of Southern Tamil Nadu like Tuticorin, Tirunelveli, Tenkasi, Ramanathapuram and Virudhunagar. It is the 5th busiest airport in Tamil Nadu after Chennai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli and Madurai and is soon to be developed as the 5th International Airport in the state. Tuticorin airport is very well connected with the city. Various transport options like taxis and bus service are available. Nearest bus stop to the airport is located at a mere distance of 1.5 Km from the airport. Tuticorin Railway Station is also nearby at a distance of 6.86 km. Kanyakumari is 125 km from the airport.
6. Salem Airport
Salem Airport is located in Kamalapuram, 15 kilometres north-west of Salem in Tamil Nadu. It serves Salem city and the districts of Salem, Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri. Rented taxis and autos take passengers to the main bus stand of the city. Passengers can easily reach other cities by taking private or public buses from here. Salem Junction Railway Station is also nearby to the Airport, about 13.47 Km. The airport has some good restaurants and shopping stops. Bangalore is well connected from Salem Airport.
7. Puducherry Airport
Pondicherry is a beautiful union territory. Its airport is located at a distance of just 6-7 km from the city hub which is the white town area of Pondicherry. The airport only has flights plying domestically as international flights have not been introduced yet. One can only get connecting flights from and to Pondicherry. The airport is at a distance of 238 km (approx.) from Tamil Nadu by road. It is more convenient to take a connecting flight which takes around an hour to reach. To travel to the airport, one has to pre-book taxis or get rental car as there aren’t many transport facilities available. Executive lounges and luxurious facilities are soon to be planned and implemented. Instead of waiting, one can travel to areas nearby and explore the scenic beaches of Pondicherry.
The airport has all the basic amenities like the conveyor belt, CCTV surveillance, check-in counters, and general car parking facilities, trolleys and even facilities for the aged and physically handicapped. Connecting flights are available to almost all the metropolitan cities in India.
8. Hosur AerodromeHosur Aerodrome is a private VFR aerodrome owned by Taneja aerospace and aviation Limited (TAAL), located at Belagondapalli, 10 Kilometres southwest of Hosur in Tamil Nadu. TAAL is India's first private company to manufacture general aviation aircraft in India. It uses the Hosur airfield for the manufacturing of aircraft along with sales and MRO business. Many Indian carriers like SpiceJet, GoAir, Vistara and Jet Airways send their aircraft to Hosur for various kinds of checks and painting done by Air Livery. Tamil Nadu government has recently come up with a plan to turn the airfield into a domestic airport which will be a boon for the citizens of Bangalore as the city is less than 40 km from this aerodrome.
9. NeyveliNeyveli is a town 62 km inland from the Bay of Bengal. The airport at Neyveli is spread over 220 acres and has a 3000 square meter apron. It is a new airport and is just 24 km from Ulundurpet. The airport is 2.3 km from the Neyveli Central Bus Stand and 30 km from the Virudhachalam Rail Junction.
Now that we've covered all the airports in Tamil Nadu, we hope this gives you a better idea as to where o fly to when you visit the South Indian state.