WeatherNovember is the onset of the rainy season in Los Angeles but it does not peak until January. The temperatures on land and the sea begin to decline. It is mostly sunny days but there are chances of rains or drizzles but it is always followed by sunshine so you don’t have to worry!
The day consists of an average of nine hours of sunlight which means you can engage in multiple outdoor activities as well but by the evening it does get a little chill. The average amount of rainfall during November is 31mm and there are almost thirteen per cent chances of it raining as well. If you are in the city this month it is better if you pack your umbrella or raincoat and stay prepared for an unexpected little drizzle. The water temperature of the seawater is around 17C which is quite chilly so if you still want to go for a swim or experience the waters, it is advisable that you have the right equipment or a wetsuit. The sun is up during the day so you could still enjoy a good day at the beach even if you aren’t up for a dip in the sea. Don’t forget your sunscreen and sunglasses though!
Average maximum temperature: 23C
Average minimum temperature: 10C
Average rainfall: 31mm
Rainfall days in a month: 3 days
Average water temperature: 17C
Things to do in Los Angeles in November
1. BeachesWhen you are in the Bay area, it is mandatory to spend a good day on the beach. Of course, the temperature of the water is pretty low so going for a swim isn’t very common but the sun is up and it makes the weather perfect for a day at the beach. Some of the November beaches are Venice beach, Nicholas Canyon County beach and Rosie’s dog beach. You can watch the surfers in the water, go for a swim, laze or sunbathe on the sand and even grab some brilliant food at the food trucks. Also, you can take your furry friends to Rosie’s dog beach from 6 am-8 am in the morning!
2. Scenic drive around LA:
Driving in the city can be annoying but a scenic drive in LA is refreshing and freeing. Drive through the mountains and the beaches of LA and live your Hollywood dream. These drives show you much more than nature and architecture, they provide you with a glimpse into the soul of LA. You can drive through Sunset Boulevard or Art Deco buildings too.
3. Disneyland:No one can ever be too old for Disneyland! There are amazing theme parks like Star Wars: Galaxy’s edge, Pixar Pier and Cars land. You also get to meet all your favourite Disney characters ranging from Elsa and Anna to Spiderman. You can also enjoy wonderful meals at the Carthay Circle restaurant and Flo’s V8 Cafe. So plan your day in Disneyland and make sure not to miss any Disney magic when you’re there!
The Getty Museum in LA is a must-visit. The museum’s art display covers space and time, there are multiple historic pieces on display there ranging from Rubens to Van Gogh. It is located at a hilltop with a brilliant view and a garden too. When you are there, make sure to check out the amazing photography collections as well.
Shop at the grove or rodeo drive: Be it window shopping at rodeo drive just to fulfil our fantasy of being Julia Roberts or shopping till you drop in the grove, LA got you covered. The grove is an open-air mall where you can shop at over 50+ brand stores. Just adjacent you’ll also find the Original Farmers Market that was set up in 1934.
5. Comedy clubs:There are multiple places across the city where you can catch a good laugh. LA hosts newcomers and superstar comedians alike. Few of the locations are UCB theatre, Dynasty typewriter, Laughter factory, improv and comedy store. If you are lucky, you might also find a couple of your favourite sitcom characters at these shows. So book your tickets and let LA tickle your funny bone.
6. Drive-in movie:
Drive-in movie theatres are a superhit in and around LA. Now you have a super fun outing and watch a movie from somewhere other than on your couch. Some of the popular drive-in theatres are Paramount Drive-in theatre, Mission Tiki Drive-in theatre, Van Buren drive-in theatre and Vineland Drive-in theatre. There is a lot of pop up theatres in the city as well. And around the months of November and December, they display a lot of Christmas and holiday-themed movies too.
7. Hollywood:When in LA a visit to Hollywood is a must. You can take a stroll down the walk of fame and have a look at all the legends Hollywood has to offer. You could also watch a movie at the Chinese theatre or plan a picnic at the Hollywood bowl. You can also go bowling or browse through the music options at Amoeba. The Hollywood Christmas parade is also around the corner. You never know which celebrity you might cross paths with!
8. Huntington library:
Huntington is a three in one attraction with its library, botanical garden and art collections. Nothing can provide you with a better glimpse of the culture of LA than a day in Huntington. The cacti desert garden and Japanese garden are some of the favourites at the venue. And what is better than being able to smell books and flowers at the same place?
9. Staples centre:During the months of November, the NBA is in full swing so you can watch an LA lakers or LA clippers professional match. The hockey teams are also in action during this season. If not sports, there are other events like comedy shows and concerts at the centre as well.
Thanksgiving is celebrated in America during the fourth week of November. This holiday celebrates the entrance and settlement of the pilgrims in the 17th century to New England. This is a holiday characterized by families and friends coming together and enjoying a turkey dinner as well. The menu of lots of restaurants around the city feature thanksgiving themed food as well.
11. Ice Skating:So what if it doesn’t snow in LA? Doesn’t mean you can’t go ice skating. The holiday ice rink in Pershing square opens every November. This is a tradition for many locals during the holiday season. Children and adults enjoy ice skating alike. The rink is quite similar to the Rockefeller ice rink in New york. So put on your skates and glide into the holidays!
Tips1. Airport: The Los Angeles Airport is one of the busiest airports in the area and that makes it quite prone to delays. So, it is suggestible that you fly in through other nearby airports like Long Beach or Orange County airports.
2. Hotels: You should choose the location of your hotel with respect to your plans Eg: If you are a beach person, you can choose a hotel in Santa Monica or while if you prefer the urban setting with city skies then Downtown is the area for you. Most parts of the year the hotel occupancy is consistent in LA but it reduces during this time so make sure to choose your hotels wisely and try to avoid the Thanksgiving rush.
3. Save money on admissions: If you are planning to visit multiple tourist attractions where there is a fee then it is suggestible that you buy the multi-attraction discount pack. But do so only if you are visiting many places so that the money is well spent.
4. Know the location: While planning your holiday make sure you know what your target places are. Of Course, you could wing it but this would put you at the risk of getting stuck in the city traffic and getting from one end of the city to another can take a long time. So plan ahead to make your holiday as effective as possible.
5. Keep an eye on the weather: Although the weather in LA might seem very comfortable and consistent it isn’t so at all times. There maybe midday showers or the city might cool down by the evening so it is advisable that you have a look at the weather forecast for the day before planning your day out.
6. Clothes: Although for the day time you can go ahead and pack some light clothes but it gets quite cold after sundown so it is suggestible that you pack a jacket or a sweater. Long sleeve shirts and layers will come handy as it will keep you warm but not sweaty. Hoodies are also a convenient option.
7. Daylight saving time: The daylight saving time ends around this time of the year so it may seem like the sun is setting later. This will increase the time you have in the day to engage in outdoor activities. Also, make sure to check the timings of local tourist attractions as they might change.
November in Los Angeles is a wonderful time to vacation there with your family and friends. The Thanksgiving vibe and the beautiful weather of LA come together to make it the perfect holiday for you and your family. So what are you waiting for? Book your tickets to LA this November for a once in a lifetime experience of fun and frolic for people of all ages.