Weather in Los Angeles in FebruaryLos Angeles is known for its pleasant weather year around, and this is the case in February too. The temperatures are around the mid 60℉ mark during the day and drops down to around 50℉ as the evening sets in. However, the month is the wettest for the city of Los Angeles. Despite this, the downpour is not heavy, with a maximum of 0.5 inches of rainfall on the rainiest of days. While it may be a slight inconvenience to your plans, you will still be able to explore the city without much trouble.
Maximum temperature: 68.6℉
Minimum temperature: 49.3℉
Rainfall: 3.8 in
Events to Attend in Los Angeles in February
1. Golden Dragon ParadeThe Golden Dragon Parade is an annual parade conducted on the streets of Los Angeles in celebration of the Chinese New Year. Celebrated for over 100 years, the parade consists of numerous lion dancers twirling around alongside giant floating dragons, much to the delight of the attending audiences. Bruce Lee was the first person to be honoured with the titGrand Marshall of the parade.
2. Lover’s RockLover’s Rock is an event conducted in the Grand Park. Couples can celebrate this special day with each other, enjoying the live music and the beauty of the surrounding City Hall and Arthur J. Will Memorial Fountain. Guests can enjoy their own homemade food, or munch on the tasty treats of the nearby food trucks. Artists across various genres perform at the event, with songs curated such that you will truly feel the love in the air.
3. Pan African Film + Art FestivalLos Angeles has a global culture, with the African-American community having played a major role throughout history. The Pan African Film + Art Festival is a celebration of the African heritage. Budding artists and movie makers from Africa showcase their talent in the respective fields. The proximity to Hollywood ensures that these artists get the much needed exposure to display their creativity.
4. L.A. Art Book FairThe L.A. Art Book Fair is a celebration of art books of various international exhibitors. These books are not just filled with texts, but provide artists with a medium to express themselves in a unique way. The festival attracts over 40,000 visitors with a shared interest for this form of art. Publications on display include contemporary art editions as well as out of print books.
5. Cupid’s Undie RunCupid’s Undie Run is an event that happens on the eve of Valentine’s Day. Participants run for a mile in their underwear to raise awareness for neurofibromatosis, while also enjoying the freedom of doing so in public. While being a source of comic relief to the attending audience, the run also presents a great opportunity for participants to socialize and have a good time, irrespective of your relationship status.
Things to Do in Los Angeles during February
1. Watch a Basketball Game
The city of Los Angeles is crazy about its basketball. There are two teams from the city competing in the Western Conference of the world famous National Basketball Association (NBA). Head to the Staples Center to catch global icons like LeBron James and Anthony Davis in action for the Los Angeles Lakers. The venue is also shared by the likes of Leonard Kawhi and Paul George, who play for the Los Angeles Clippers.
2. Attend a Concert at the Walt Disney Concert HallThe Walt Disney Concert Hall is one of the most renowned architectural masterpieces of the city of LA. This hall is the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, known for its contemporary nature and forward thinking style. They also conduct concerts in collaboration with some of the world’s finest musicians. Do make sure to attend one of their performances if you are a classical music enthusiast.
3. Have a Romantic Date on Valentine’s DayCelebrating Valentine’s Day with your better half becomes a lot more special when you are in LA. You can visit the Griffith Observatory and view the stars at night, or have a romantic dinner on a cruise. If you want to keep it simple, the city is filled with award winning restaurants that serve cuisines from around the world.
4. Visit the Walk of Fame in HollywoodIf you’re looking to get a true sense of Los Angeles, then Hollywood is the place to be. The high fashion streets are filled with some of the latest fashion trends, while Hollywood celebrities have been immortalized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Oscars take place during the month at the Dolby Theater, so you may just get a sneak peek of your favorite movie stars from afar during or before they walk the red carpet.
Tips for a February Holiday in Los Angeles
- February is the rainiest month in Los Angeles. While the rain will not force you to stay indoors, be sure to have an umbrella so that you are not caught off-guard when the downpour begins.
- Layered clothing is the preferred outfit for those looking to explore the city. Light clothing will keep you cool during the day time, while jackets and windbreakers will keep you warm as the evenings become chilly.
- If you are looking to explore the city, do make sure to purchase a ‘Go Los Angeles’ pass beforehand. Not only does this help you save money, but also time as you do not have to wait in line to buy tickets at each venue.
- Celebrity sightings are rare in Hollywood, especially in the areas around the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is a tourist hotspot. If you intend to catch a glimpse of your favorite movie and TV personalities, choose to attend a TV taping or a studio tour.