1. The Eagle BarThis is one of the premier gay bars in Auckland, though not exclusive, is a great place to hang out with members of the LGBTQ community. The bar offers a great atmosphere to shake a leg and hang out on the weekends. With cocktails and beers being a speciality here, the menu here is decently priced to not bore a hole in your pocket. The bar also features a free jukebox from which you can pick a song and vibe with your gang late into the night.
2. Family Bar and Club
One of the prominent gay bars in Auckland city, the Family Bar is the ideal place to go to meet new people and chill through the night. The bar comes to life during the weekends and continues till early morning. The place has 4 different bars and 4 different areas to party all of which have excellent services. The karaoke nights and drag shows are a hit among the customers and often attracts large groups of people.
Address: 270 Karangahape Road, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Timings: 10 pm to 4 am
3. Majenta BarA unit of Garnet Station, this LGBTQ friendly bar gives out great vibes to hang out on a weekend. The bar serves amazing wood-fired pizzas along with great tape beers and other drinks. The place is a favourite spot among the locals one of the reasons being its affordable pricing. The place also features a small community theatre with an attached cute little garden.
Address: 85 Garnet Road, Westmere, Auckland 1022, New ZealandTimings: Wednesday to Sunday 2 pm to 10 pm
4. SPQR Café and BarNot one of the exclusively gay bars in Auckland, SPQR is a place for everyone. Located in the heart of Ponsonby, the bar has a very warm ambience with great aesthetics and chic interiors. The place is known for its amazing cocktails, wine and pizzas among others which are served quickly. With friendly staff and great music, the SPQR bar is the ideal place to head to for a night filled with fun and frolic.
Address: 150 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby, Auckland 1011, New Zealand
Timings: Lunch 12-3pm and Dinner 5:30pm-Late | Closed on Mondays
5. Caluzzi Bar and CabaretIf you are looking for a night to remember, the Caluzzi Bar and Cabaret is the ideal place to go to. The place is very friendly and highly inclusive and the drag queens here make sure you have a great time there with their hilarious stage shows and stunning costumes. With delicious food and drinks, the bar also has an electric atmosphere which will make you come here again and again.
Address: 461 Karangahape Road, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Timings: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday – 7 pm – 11.30 pm
6. Bamboo TigerFormerly known as Shanghai Lil’s this non-exclusive bar still attracts a healthy number of gay men. The bar has an electric atmosphere with a cosy ambience that puts you right in the mood for a great night. The place offers great food and drinks accompanied by dope live music. The bar also offers public and private seating areas of your choice with staff who are attentive to detail.
Address: 335 Karangahape Road, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Timings: Wednesday to Saturday 5 pm to 12 am | 3 am
7. G.A.Y. AucklandStarted in 2005, this amazing gay bar in Auckland with a welcoming atmosphere attracts large numbers of gay men in the city. Drag shows that start late at night are one of the main attractions of this bar. The bar plays great music and offers a fun atmosphere to let your true spirit leash out without any reservations. The bar has an amazing DJ and friendly staff who make sure you have a great experience to cherish.
Address: 262 Karangahape Road, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Timings: Friday and Saturday - 10 pm to 4 am.
8. The Monte CristoFeaturing 3 bars, the Monte Cristo is a late-night bar and eatery that is gay friendly and highly inclusive. With an extensive food and drinks menu that suits every budget, the bar offers a great dining experience. Also serving as an event venue, Monte Cristo regularly hosts stag/ hen’s party, ladies night among others. The bar has great live music and native bands regularly perform at the bar.
Address: 146 Karangahape Road Auckland, New ZealandWe hope this article outlining the most prominent gay bars in Auckland was useful for you. Do let us know in the comments section below if you have visited any of these bars or would like us to add any more to this list.
Timings: Friday 5 pm to 4 am | Saturday 6 pm to 4 am