Maui is one of the best islands for its exotic locations, and camping in Maui is sure to be an amazing experience. The island also has many campsite locations, from its clean beaches to wild mountains. The different campsites also offer curated packages and individual private spaces for camping preferred by tourists and the locals. The diverse climate conditions at various parts of the island make camping in Maui the best amongst all the islands in Hawaii.
These Are Our Favourite Spots for Camping in Maui:
1. Waiʻanapanapa State ParkLocated outside Hana, Wai’anapanapa State Park is one of the best camping destinations in Maui. Known for its black sand beach, lava arch and freshwater caves, the campsite has many places to explore. The park has various things to explore, like the beautiful island views from a short trail or a hike. Wai’anapanapa also provides the basic amenities of tents, cabins, picnic tables, and many more, which attracts many tourists to choose camping in Maui.
Amenities: Basic amenities like Cabins, tents, restrooms, showers, picnic tables and drinkable water are available.
Things to do: Hiking, cliff jumps, lava tube exploration, trails, hiking, exploring ancient remains and water caves.
2. KipahuluKipahulu, located at the Haleakala National Park, has many major tourist attractions near its campsite in Maui. Close to the camping site is a beautiful set of freshwater pools and is a popular attraction in Maui. After the fresh water pools are the Pipiwai Trail that leads to the enormous Waimoku Falls waterfall. Also, the beautiful ocean near the camping ground is one of the best for night camp parties. Blessed with dense forests, Kipahulu is also one of the best places in Maui for bird watching.
Amenities: Basic amenities like restrooms, picnic tables, and barbeque grills are available at the campsite.
3. Hosmer GroveKnown for beautiful landscapes, Hosmer Grove is one of the popular sites for camping in Maui. The camp is located at the Haleakala National Park near the summit and is covered with greenery and volcanic regions. With a wide variety of trees like pine, cedar, coconut, etc, the trail is the best for a quick exploration. The most enjoyable part of camping at the Hosmer Grove is the beautiful sunset view from the shore and trails. The animal-friendly approach to the campsite also brings many pet owners to enjoy their camp at Hosmer Grove.
Amenities: The basic amenities like drinking water, restrooms, picnic tables and restrooms are available.
4. Camp OlowaluCamp Olowalu has the best views of the West Maui Mountains and is just minutes away from Lahaina. Popularly known for water sports, the campsite provides the best place for kayaking, snorkelling, and paddleboarding in Maui. In winters, the sights of whales in the beautiful ocean attracts most tourists to the site. The private cabins available are provided with all the amenities in the space and Wi-Fi. This campsite is one of the private properties and also is one of the best camps for people who want to explore nature with luxury.
Amenities: Amenities like drinkable water, restrooms, cabins, showers and water sports facilities are available here.
5. Papalaua Wayside ParkWhen it comes to last-minute plans, Papalaua Wayside Park is one of the best sites for camping in Maui. The campsite is easily accessible from the main road with the beautiful ocean view and palm shades. It is one of the best beaches in Maui for beginner surfers, fishing and swimming. Referred to as “Thousand Peaks” by the locals, the thorny beach is a good hangout spot for laid back weekends on the island. Also, new campers are suggested to analyse the tides and thorns before setting up the tents at this camping site.
Amenities: Restrooms and basic picnic facilities are available at the campsite.
6. Polipoli State ParkPolipoli State Park is one of the best camping sites in Northwest Maui, with chilled weather throughout the year. Located 6,200 ft in Kula Forest Reserves, the place is a little difficult to access without a proper vehicle. The foggy and rocky roads to reach the camping site takes a good driving skill. The climate is usually cold, and unexpected rains make this place a beautiful spot for its views. The park is known for its adventurous hiking, trails, mountain biking and various other activities available at the camping site. The 360-degree view at the end of the hike brings many travellers to camp at this unique camping site in Kula.
Amenities: Cabins, tent areas, restrooms are available at the camping site.
7. Camp KeanaeCamp Keanae, located in a remote location, is one of the most beautiful locations anybody could hope to go camping in Maui. Situated along the road to Hana, the campsite is known for its beautiful view of the Keanae Peninsula. A short hike near the camping site leads the way to the old church built-in 1856. The YMCA also offers the best camping facilities in Keanae at the best rates for members and non-members. The facilities include cabins, tents, van and RV parking spots, and the most suitable cottages in Keanae best for huge groups.
8. Kanaha Beach ParkKanaha Beach Park is one of the best camping destinations in Maui for a family weekend getaway. The camping site situated between Spreckelsville Beach and Kahului Bay has the best sunset views in Maui. The site also has some breath-taking views of the West Maui Mountains and the valley sunset. The family camping experience at Kanaha Beach Park also comes with many fun activities like kite surfing, mountain biking, canoeing, beach volleyball, and many other exciting activities.
How to reach: The camping site is within walking distance from the Kahului Airport and is easily accessible from Hana Highway 36.
9. Paliku CampsitePaliku is one of the best remote destinations in Maui, located at an elevation of 6,380 feet and is popular among the tourists for its hikes. The rainforest is usually cold throughout the year, with the best views in Maui. The “Sliding Sands” trail route offers the best scenic views with lush green trees and a foggy landscape that compliments the camping experience.
Amenities: Cabins, Restrooms and non-potable water are the basic amenities covered by the camping site.The island offers many beautiful spots for camping in Maui, and these are a few of them. Do you know of any other sites for camping in Maui? Let us know in the comments below!