Here is everything that you need to know about renting a car in Boston:
When it comes to renting cars in Boston, there are numerous services that you can pick from to ensure an overall pleasant stay but you need to make sure that you fully understand all of their requirements, terms, and conditions.
What are some of the Main Requirements for Renting a Car in Boston?
Given that there are ample choices when it comes to the right service for you, the requirements for renting a car will vary. However, here are some of the main ones which you need to adhere to, no matter which car rental service you go for:
- Meeting minimum age requirements: Usually, you would need to be at least 18 years old to rent a car in Boston, but some services require you to be 21. Moreover, you may be required to pay an underage renter surcharge or a ‘Youthful Surcharge’ if you fall within a specific age group (varies from service to service).
- Having a valid driving license: The following are the license requirements -
- US/ Canada residents: Ensure that you have a valid (must be valid for the entire rental duration at least) government-issued driving license with your photograph on it. You must have the physical license on you since the digital copy is usually not accepted.
- Foreign residents: If you do not live in the US or Canada, you must consult with the DMV. You must carry the license (with your photograph on it) of your home country and if the details mentioned are not in English, you would need to get an International Driver’s Permit. Also, it is merely a translation of your home country’s license and cannot be used on its own.
- Using the right payment method: There are different kinds of payment methods you can choose from when renting a car. They are -
- Cash: Not all car rental services accept cash but some do; you can pay for your final rental charges using cash. However, keep in mind that most places may require you to pay your deposit using your credit or debit card, depending on the location.
- Debit card: Many airport and non-airport locations of car rental services accept payments via debit cards. You will need to check if there are any special charges or terms associated with this mode of payment.
- Credit card: Again, most airport and non-airport locations of car rental services let you pay via your credit card. Here are some of the credit cards accepted -
-JCP/ Japan Credit Bureau
Apart from these standard requirements, you may be required to prove a clean driving record, show an alternate identity proof, carry your home country’s driving license or the International Driver’s Permit, amongst others.
- Paying the deposit: Most rental services require that you pay a certain amount of deposit fees when you rent a car from them. You will most probably be required to pay this before you can take the car. Also, make sure you check the correct payment mode for the same; some services don’t allow deposit payments via cash, only via credit or debit card.
How much does it Cost to Rent a Car in Boston?
Depending upon the car rental service you opt for and the kind of vehicle you pick, the cost of renting will vary. However, the charges aren’t likely to vary too much at different services when it comes to the same kind of vehicle. Here is a general idea of what it could cost you to rent a car in Boston:
- Sedan: USD 20/day and above (varies depending on whether it is an economy, standard, compact, intermediate, full-sized, or luxury sedan and its model)
- SUV: USD 25 and above (depends on whether you go for a standard, intermediate, compact, luxury, or premier SUV and the model)
- Convertible: USD 60/day and above
- Minivan: USD 45/day and above
- Truck: USD 30/day and above
What should you keep in mind while Driving Around in Boston?
If you are renting a car while in Boston, you need to keep in mind some of the city’s key traffic rules, whether you are a citizen of the United States or are visiting from outside. Here are some of the things to pay attention to when in the city:
- You must have a valid driving license (in English) when you seek to rent and drive a car in Boston. If you aren’t a citizen of the States and intend to stay in the city for over 3-4 months, make sure to consult with the DMV since your international driving license has limited validity.
- Don’t forget to look towards your left and right once the light turns green.
- Always check whether street parking is free of cost or paid.
- Find out about the garage’s parking fees and don’t forget to pay your dues since it could earn you a ticket.
- Always avoid passing on the left if you can pass on the right.
- Keep a lookout for any potholes and make sure you know how to get out of the way if need be immediate.
- If you enter a tunnel, try to slow down slightly even if you do not see traffic.
- Try to find out about any construction sites in advance and plan out alternate routes before setting out.
- Keep your GPS/ navigation system on, especially if you have never been to the city.
- Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you don’t run into any pedestrians or cyclists when driving.
What are a few of the Car Rentals in Boston you can choose from?
The following are five of the many car rental services in Boston that you can choose from if you’re planning on driving yourself around during your visit:
1. Enterprise Rent-A-CarFounded in 1957, Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a fairly popular car rental service that offers you various choices in terms of the vehicles you can rent. The company has offices in different parts of Boston, making it easier to pick up and drop off the car.
Vehicles available: Sedans, SUVs, exotic cars, minivans and vans, trucks, moving trucks and vans
2. Budget Car RentalBudget Car Rental is a car rental service in Boston and other cities of the United States that strives to provide quality service through its variety of rental options, all at reasonable prices.
Vehicles available: Sedans, SUVs, vans, pickup trucks, sports cars, convertibles, minivans
3. CarRentalsA website that features offers from a number of car rental services, CarRentals is a suitable option for you if you are visiting Boston and need a car. The website displays all the options you can choose from, in terms of the service and the vehicle, and the best deals for you.
Vehicles available: Sedans, SUVs, minivans, Jeeps
4. National Car RentalNational Car Rental is a service that makes your car rental experience in Boston quite quick and easy. It offers a number of options for the kind of car you can rent, and assures you of quality service at reasonable rates.
Vehicles available: Sedans, SUVs, convertibles, sports cars, trucks, vans
5. HertzWhen it comes to renting a car when in Boston, Hertz is a great option to go with since its variety of rentable cars means that you would be able to pick a vehicle that would best suit your needs during your trip.
Vehicles available: Sedans, SUVs, minivans, trucks, sports cars, convertiblesDriving around in Boston is a fun experience since you get to go about catching glimpses of a lot of attractions but you must ensure that you adhere to all the rules and requirements of the car rental service you opt for and the city’s traffic rules.