This guide covers everything that you need to know while renting a car in Baltimore:
Requirements for Renting a Car in Baltimore
To ensure a quick and easy car renting process, keep these documents ready and with you at the rental company.
A valid driver’s license: If you are a US citizen, you must present a hard copy of your state-issued driver’s license.
Minimum Age to rent a car: All Car Rental companies in Maryland require you to be at least 21 years old to rent a car. There is an additional fee if you are under 25 years.
Proof of identity: International visitors will be required to produce their original passport for ID proof and will need an International Driver's Permit to rent a car.
Proof of Insurance: You must have the minimum auto insurance- Collision and Liability policy as required by the state laws. If you don’t have insurance, the car rental company will allow you to purchase basic insurance starting from as low as USD 20/day
Payment and security deposit: You will have to pay a security deposit while renting which will be fully refunded when the car is returned safely and in the same condition. Credit cards are generally the fastest way to rent and Debit cards are accepted for payments but typically have a longer process. Cash deposits are usually not accepted.
How much does it cost to Rent a Car in Baltimore?
While the cost of renting a car depends on which car you want to rent, how long you want to rent it, and how old the car is. A particular model's price does not vary too much across different rentals; however, pick a Sedan or a standard SUV for a comfortable road trip experience!
Standard: From 38 USD/ dayEconomy: From 28 USD/ dayCompact: From 29 USD/ dayMinivan: From 32 USD -73 USD/daySUV: From 43 USD/ dayLuxury: From 75 USD - 108 USD/day
5 Best Car Rentals in Baltimore
1. HertzHertz is one of the most popular car companies in Baltimore and around the US. Rent a Sedan or hatchback if you’re exploring the city- from the Federal Hill neighbourhood down to the Inner Harbor waterfront. Planning on a family road trip? Rent a spacious SUV and drive through picturesque country roads in Baltimore!
Vehicles Available: Sedan, SUV, minivan
Locations: Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, Baltimore - Amtrak BWI AP, Baltimore - Martin State Airport.
Enterprise Rent-a-car is perfect for road trips, weekend getaways, and exploring Baltimore. At affordable costs and excellent quality, Enterprise is trusted by thousands across the country. Hop on a Sedan and explore the 'charm city' at your own pace!
Vehicles Available: Sedans, SUVs, luxury cars, minivans, trucks
Locations: Baltimore-Washington Intl. Airport, Baltimore Fells Point Harford Rd., Baltimore Inn at The Colonnade, Merritt Blvd, Glen Catonsville Autobody Evolution, Dundalk Eastern Ave.
Just around the corner from The Shops at Canton Crossing, Budget car rental is another great option if you are already downtown and looking for rental options. The budget has great deals and offers a fleet of cars to choose from. Budget is one of the best car rentals in Baltimore with online reservation options and a great insurance package.
Vehicles Available: Compact cars, minivans, SUVs,
Locations: 4900 Boston Street, Baltimore, MD, 21224, United States, Radisson Hotel, Glen Burnie Md and Parkville Md.
Avis offers various great luxury rental options and a Preferred membership that offers a Fuel Service Option. Avis Rent a Car is perfect for leisure driving in and around the city. Check out Baltimore Basilica, Lloyd Street Synagogue, the national aquarium, and Patterson Park and enjoy a day out with friends and family.
Vehicles Available: SUV, Standard, Economy, Full Size, Pickup, Luxury
Locations: Baltimore Radisson Hotel, Baltimore-Washington Intl Airport, Baltimore MD, White Marsh Mall, Towson-Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel, and Glen Burnie
Located on North Howard Street, NextCar rental is just five blocks north of North Avenue. NextCar is the largest locally owned car rental company in the Mid Atlantic with affordable prices and quality vehicles. Hop on a NextCar rental at the Baltimore International Airport or at North Ave and explore the city!
Vehicles Available: SUV, mid-sized, Standard Sedan, and full-size luxury.
Locations: 101 East North Ave, Baltimore, MD 21202,
Helpful Tips to Keep in Mind While Renting a Car in Baltimore:
- Return the car on the date agreed to avoid extra charges.
- You will have to pay any highway charges or traffic fines you concur while renting the car. The rental company will not bear those charges.
- The speed limit is 30 mph in residential areas, and 70mph in most state highways and the legal blood alcohol limit is 0.08. Keep in mind lane changes and school zones. Follow the traffic rules to avoid fines or penalties.
- The cost of a gallon of gas is around 2.2 USD
- You can not smoke in the rental vehicle. The rental company can charge you a cleaning fee if you do so.
- Rush hour in Baltimore is roughly from 6:30 am to 9:30 am on weekdays. Sometimes, the roads can get busy again from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm.