Here is a list of the best cafes in Istanbul that you must visit:
1. Cafe AraCafé Ara or Kafe Ara has a relaxing and peaceful ambience. The walls are adorned with old pictures of Istanbul taken by the popular and legendary photographer Ara Guler. With the rhythm of soft music in the background, the café is perfect for escaping the busy hustle of the streets outside.
Must try dishes: The café serves authentic Turkish dishes, breakfast dishes, pastas, burgers, salads and more. The Turkish traditional coffee along with any of the desserts is a must try too
Location: Tomtom, Ara Guler Sk. No 2, 34433 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM – 11:30 PM, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM – 11:30 PM
2. Coffeetopia EminonuKnown as a speciality coffee place, the Coffeetopia Eminonu Café is one of the best cafes to have coffee in Istanbul. The coffee beans are exceptional, and the different types of coffee served are delicious. With indoor and outdoor seating, Wi-Fi services and friendly staff, this café also has a fine décor.
Must try dishes: The coffee varieties served here are fantastic. Some of these include iced latte, cappuccino, cold coffee and more. The coffee is also prepared using vegetable and almond milk with no compromise in taste. The other delicacies to try are sandwiches, pancakes, the raspberry cheesecake, croissants, fruit bowls, juices etc.
Location: Hobyar, Arpacilar Cd, No. 4, 34112 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days: 8:00 AM – 10:30 PM
3. Harab’be CaféHarab’be Cafe is all about the right vibes. With sofas laden out and hookas served, this Istanbul cafe reminds one of the traditional and old-world charms. One can play games or just chat with friends while enjoying a range of drinks and dishes. The laid-back atmosphere is attractive, coupled with excellent service.
Must try dishes: The shisha, tea, cocktails, lemonade and coffee are the different drinks served at the Harab’be Café. One can try the spag bol, wraps, burgers, seafood dishes, baklava, yogurt and more.
Location: Alemdar, Ticarethane Ck No. 4B, 34122 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days 11:00 AM – 3:00 AM
4. Cafe Naftalin KAn extremely cosy and comfortable cafe, Cafe Naftalin K can make one feel instantly at home. And the cats that roam freely about and might just sit on the table or even your lap add to the feeling of warmth and homeliness that the café exudes. With affordable prices, modern decor and efficient staff, Cafe Naftalin K is popular for its sumptuous dishes.
Must try dishes: Cafe Naftalin K serves one of the best traditional Turkish meals and dishes. Besides, one can try their pies, amazing cakes, such as the pomegranate cake. However, the beverages are the main attraction here. One can try the Syrian coffee, Turkish coffee, hot chocolate, lemonade, espresso and more.
Location: Balat, Yildirim Cd., No. 27/A, 34087 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days 10:00 AM – 11:00 PM
5. Agha GateWith a terrace view, as well as indoor seating, the Agha Gate Cafe in Istanbul serves authentic and delicious Turkish delights. The terrace offers great views of the city, and the staff is well-trained and helpful. Located on a high-rise building, the Agha Gate Cafe is a perfect stopover while visiting the stunning Suleymaniye Mosque.
Must try dishes: Turkish delights, such as the zeama, kebabs, peka are a must try at the Agha Gate Cafe. For drinks the Kir is highly recommended, so is the tea, cold sherbets and coffee. The other delicacies include tiramisu, cakes and more.
Location: Suleymaniye, Fetva Yokusu, Nazir Izzet Efendi Sk. No. 11, 34134 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days 8:30 AM – 1:30 AM
6. Cafe Privato RestaurantHoused in a building dating to the 19th century, the Cafe Privato Restaurant has pleasant and simple decor. The staff is friendly, and the food is well-priced. The restaurant appeals to those looking for authentic Turkish cuisine. It has both outdoor and indoor seating and is also wheelchair accessible.
Must try dishes: One must try the varieties of drinks, including the coffee, cappuccinos, apple tea, lemonade and more. Besides, the restaurant also serves great baklava, pancakes, turkey, soups, gozleme, parfait etc.
Location: Sahkulu, Timarci Sk. No 3, 34421 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: Monday to Saturday – 8:30 AM – 11:00 PM, Sunday: 9:00 AM – 11:00 PM
7. Petra Roasting Co.The Petra Roasting Co. is a trendy Istanbul cafe and is usually crowded with youngsters. The food and service are spot-on, and the ambience is quite chic and modern. Petra Roasting Co. has multiple outlets. However, the main and first site is the Gayrettepe branch, which also has an area for roasting and a collection shop. It also houses the Petra laboratory for all production purposes.
Must try dishes: The different varieties of coffee, such as cappuccinos, milk coffee and more. Besides, one can try different breakfast and lunch meals including egg dishes, salads, croissants etc.
Location: Gayrettepe, Hossohbet Sokagi Selenium Residence D, Magaza 1, 34349, Besiktas, Istanbul
Timings: Monday to Friday: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday: 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
8. Minoa AkaretlerA unique cafe, the Minoa Akaretler is located within the Minoa bookstore. Perfect for bookworms, the cafe is the ideal place to sit and read a good book while sipping on warm and tasty coffee. The music is low and calm, and the ambience is tranquil and surreal. For books, coffee, music and an atmosphere, the Minoa Akaretler is the place to be in!
Must try dishes: The cafe offers beverages, such as varieties of coffee, as well as cocktails, wines, beers and more. The menu includes toast sandwiches, Panini, noodles, risottos, burgers and much more. One should also try their desserts, especially the lemon cheesecake.
Location: Visnezade, Suleyman Seba Cd. No. 52/A, 34357 Besiktas, Istanbul
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Sunday: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
9. MandabatmazLocated in an alley away from the bustle of the main road, the Mandabatmaz Cafe is a great place for those looking for comforting food. This quiet little Istanbul cafe is a hidden gem with no flashy advertisements or sign boards. A coffee place with fantastic service and amazing food, the authenticity of its dishes and coffee is perhaps is the biggest selling point.
Must try dishes: The Turkish coffee at the Mandabatmaz is one of the best in the city. You can also buy their raw coffee powder and beans at very reasonable prices. The other dishes to try out here include baklava, lokum, chocolates and more.
Location: Asmali Mescit, Olivya, Gc. 1/A, 34430 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: All days 9:30 AM – 12:00 midnight
10. Kahve Dunyasi – BebekA coffee shop and a chocolate store, the Kahve Dunyasi is a combination to die for. There is outdoor as well as indoor seating, and the coffee is quite good. The service and staff are helpful and cheerful, whereas the ambience and atmosphere is comfortable and cosy.
Must try dishes: The varieties of coffee are great including Turkish coffee, tamarin latte, chocolate coffee and more. However, hot chocolate is highly recommended, besides trying out the sandwiches, macaroons, lemonade, cookies, apple cake and more. One can also shop for the chocolate souvenirs that include a whole range of different types of chocolates, such as the orange peel chocolate and dried cherry chocolate.
Location: Bebek, Cevdet Pasa, Cd. No. 20, 34342, Besiktas, Istanbul
Timings: All days 6:30 AM – 1:00 AM
11. Mum’s CafeAs the name suggests, Mum’s Cafe exudes an atmosphere of home. The taste of home and mom’s cooking is always a welcome and inviting feeling. And Mum’s Cafe, with its menu and efficient staff, seeks to do just that. There is outdoor and indoor seating, fast Wi-Fi and one of the best breakfasts in the city.
Must try dishes: Mum’s Café is popular for breakfast dishes, such as French toast, Benedict eggs made in Turkish style, poached eggs, croissants and also many Vegan choices. Besides, some of the other items to try out here include cheese toast, banana bread, caramel cheesecake etc. along with the various blends of coffee.
Location: Kemankes, Karamustafa Pasa, Fransiz Gc Sokagi, 1/16 D:17, 34425 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: All day 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
12. Durbun CafeThe restaurant/cafe with a terrace and great views of the city and sea, the Durbun Cafe is a wonderful place for trying out Turkish delicacies. With a unique ‘binocular view’, watch the Galata Tower and Bosphorus while enjoying a coffee or cocktail. Known for its helpful and friendly waiters, the cafe is also popular for its amazing food and delicious recipes. The Durbun Cafe also serves hookah and is open for smokers as well.
Must try dishes: From gozleme, menemen, soups, steaks, fresh drinks, shisha, fish, salads and much more, the Durbun Café has exciting and sumptuous dishes on its menu.
Location: Hobyar Mah, Yali Kosku Cd. No. 22, Kat: 4, 34112 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days 9:00 AM – 1:00 AM
13. Dukkan GalataWith a menu slightly inclined towards European taste, the Dukkan Galata serves excellent dishes. Their staff is also another valuable asset for the cafe. With fantastic service and energy, this Istanbul cafe has an ambience of chirpiness and happiness. With affordable prices and tasty meals, the Dukkan Galata should definitely be visited when in Istanbul.
Must try dishes: One of the most popular dishes that tourists swear by is the avocado cooked with eggs. Besides, the other dishes to try include salmon toast, Turkish coffee, espresso, ice pumpkin latte, cheese omelet and more.
Location: Mueyyedzade, Tatar Beyi Sk. No. 15/B, 34425 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: Monday to Friday: 8:30 AM – 6:30 AM, Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
14. Brew Coffee WorksA cool and modern interior with a feel of the barista and coffee, the Brew Coffee Works is popular among coffee lovers. Known for its special and different types of coffee, this cafe in Istanbul is recommended for its friendly and professional service and relaxed atmosphere. With a nice design, great music, quick service and wonderful staff, the Brew Coffee Works have an enviable menu to boast of too.
Must try dishes: Different coffee that are a must try at Brew Coffee Works include the cappuccino, mocha, latte, Turkish coffee and more. The coffee is freshly brewed enhancing its taste and flavor double fold. The other dishes to try out are cheesecake, pasta, tiramisu, zeama, lemonade etc.
Location: Hobyar, Hamidiye Cd. No. 16, 34112 Fatih, Istanbul
Timings: All days 7:30 AM – 11:00 PM
15. Moc NisantasiA lovely cafe with fascinating and comfortable decor, the Moc Nisantasi is clean and efficient and serves a wide range of tantalizing dishes. Perfect for breakfast and brunch, the cafe is modern, with dark wooden interiors and outdoor seating as well. However, they blend their coffee in varied ways, from traditional to trendy methods, and the results are not disappointing at all.
Must try dishes: Pastries, hot chocolate, tarts, cheesecake, tiramisu, omelet etc. are some of the must try dishes at the Moc Nisantasi. And of course, their coffee is fresh and exceptional! Try any of the coffee, including latte, cappuccino, espresso and more.
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 7:30 AM – 11:30 PM, Sunday: 10:00 AM – 11:30 PM
16. Coffee SapiensElegant and dreamy, the Coffee Sapiens is a well-established coffee house with several branches and a roastery too. Undoubtedly, their coffee is amazing, roasted in-house and freshly brewed. The quaint cafe in Istanbul is comfortable, and the relaxed ambience inviting. In fact, there is almost something romantic about the café, where the seating and food are well presented and maintained. Also, the staff and service are spot on.
Must try dishes: The different varieties of coffee and tea are highly recommended at the Coffee Sapiens. Some of these include the cortado, espresso, milk lattes, almond lattes and more. Besides, one can try the velvet cupcakes, cheesecakes etc.
Location: Kemankes, Karamustafa Pasa, Kilic Ali Pasa Mescidi Sk. No. 10, DC: 34425, Beyoglu, Istanbul
Levent, Buyukdere Cd. No. 185, D: 162, Dukkan 34394, Sisli, Istanbul
Timings: All days 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
17. KronotropKronotop Cafe has more than one branch. However, no matter which branch you visit, the service and the food are absolutely delicious. Neat, clean and with modern, comfortable decor, especially the cosy sofas, the cafe has a tranquil and chilled-out atmosphere. A trendy and youngster hangout, the café also welcoming to cats and dogs. Kronotrop also sells its branded roasted coffee that is fresh and well-roasted.
Must try dishes: The different types of coffee, such as espresso, Turkish coffee, lattes etc. are wonderful. Besides, one must try the French toast, brownie, peanut butter cookies and more.
Location And Timings:
Kronotrop Cihangir, Kuloglu, Firuzaga Cami Sk. No. 2/B, 34433 Beyoglu, IstanbulMonday to Friday: 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Kronotrop Karakoy, Kemankes, Karamustafa Pasa, Karaali Kaptan Sk. No. 4, D: Karakoy, 34425, Beyoglu, Istanbul All days 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Kronotrop Moda, Caferaga, Dr. Esat Isik Cd. No. 14, 34710, Kadikoy, Istanbul Monday to Friday: 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM – 11:30 PM
Kronotrop Topagaci, Tesvikiye Mahallesi Prof. Dr. Orhan Ersek Sk. Gucer Apt. D: 18C, 34365 Sisli, Istanbul Monday to Friday: 7:00 AM – 10:00 AM, Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Kronotrop Levent Eatery, Nisbetiye, Aydin Sokagi No. 12, 34340 Besiktas, Istanbul Monday to Friday: 7:30 AM – 10:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday: 8:30 AM – 10:00 PM
18. Federal Coffee CompanyThe Federal Coffee Company was started by an Australian. Thus, the English-speaking crowd find this cafe convenient as there is an ease of understanding and communication. Besides, the interiors of the Federal Coffee Company are modern and remind one of Starbucks or any other international coffee brand café. The service is efficient, and the food is delicious.
Must try dishes: The cuisine at the Federal Coffee Company is well balanced and nuanced. Breakfast is highly recommended as some of the must try dishes during this time of the day include avocado salmon toast, tuna toast, scrambled eggs, omelet etc., along with the varieties of coffee, such as cappuccino, latte and Turkish coffee. Some of the other dishes to try are grilled cheese on sourdough, burger, salads and the desserts.
Location: Sahkulu, Kucuk Hendek Cd. No. 7, 34421 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: All days 8: 00 AM – 11:00 PM
19. Velvet CafeRun by a family of African descent, the Velvet Cafe in Istanbul is authentic and classy. There is a sense of comfort, so much so that it seems that one is in a friend’s living room. The crockery in which the dishes are served are traditional, and heritage pieces, whereas the furniture and decor is vintage yet comfortable. In fact, the entire setting, including the music, memorabilia displayed and service, is charming and extremely warm. The food and coffee are, of course, delicious and sumptuous.
Must try dishes: Peka, zeama, lentil soup, scramble eggs, hot chocolate, Helva (an amazing dessert), lemonade, fresh juices and many other dishes are mouthwatering and tasty.
Location: Bereketzade, Kule Cukmazi S, Buyuk Hendek Cd. D 7A, 34421 Beyoglu, Istanbul
Timings: Tuesday – Saturday: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Sunday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday closed
20. Bond Coffee Co.The Bond Coffee Co. has both indoor and outdoor seating. The garden outside is pleasant, and the indoor seating arrangements are well laid out. It is perfect for those who want to work, read, as well as socialize. The staff is helpful and friendly, and the service is efficient. However, the garden is the highlight of the café, secluding one away from all the noise and traffic of the world outside. The food is reasonably priced and well made.
Must try dishes: Varieties of coffee, such as espresso, frothy cappuccinos, latte, cortado as well as, different tea, etc. all are wonderful. The Bond Coffee Co. also serves delicious desserts, such as cheesecakes and more.The cafe culture in Istanbul is a mix of the traditional and the modern. From authentic Turkish coffee to American lattes, all are available in the city’s many cafes. With great service, amazing desserts and meals and an ambience that fits the needs of all visitors, the cafes of Istanbul are cultural and social hubs.
Location And Timings: Bond Coffee Co. Ortakoy, Mecidiye, Dereboyu Cd. No. 121-123/B, 34347, Besiktas, Istanbul, All days: 8:00 AM – 12:00 AM
Bond Coffee Co. Fulya, Fulya, Ortaklar Cd. No. 9, 34394, Sisli, Istanbul, All days: 8:00 AM -11:00 PM