Situated in the Kasturba Complex, Jacob Circle in Mumbai, Tiphereth Israel Synagogue was initially established as a prayer hall in 1886. However, the growing Jewish population demanded a bigger building, so in 1923, the prayer hall was remodelled and the current building was consecrated as a synagogue. Known to be one of the biggest and the most active synagogue in the city. The synagogue is called 'Kandlekaranchi Mashid' (Kandlekar's Synagogue) in the local Marathi language on the name of Late Mr. Aaron Benjamin Kandlekar. He was one of the active Jewish members who helped raise a considerable amount of fund for the construction of the synagogue. Currently, the synagogue maintains an active status and is attended by a small yet regular group of devotees. There are regular prayer meets and daily Sabbaths held at the synagogue.
No reviews yet
Be the first to add a question