Institut Cardinal Jean Margeot, Mauritius Overview
Standing in the centre of Rose Hill in this island of serenity, the Maison Le Carne is an attractive Creole manse that houses the Mauritian Research Council; and now it is also a centre for the Mauritian Academic of Science and Technology. The white and blue painted House of Carne came into a new existence after its transformation into the Cardinal Jean Margeot Institute. However, before hosting the Mauritian Research Council for two weeks and later, the courses of the institute, the Maison Le Carne used to be a huge family home.
The history of Maison Le Carne is quite impressive, starting from its very name. It comes for the Earl of Carne, Rear-Admiral Louis Marie Alix, who was born in France and died in his Rose-Hill residence in 1948. However, the Count was not the real owner of this house. It instead belonged to the family of his wife - Marie Camille Louis Julie Rochery of Marcenay, who was born in Mauritius. Although her family was originally from Bourbon, they settled in the island since 1793. This information is not very popular among the people.
Back in Time
The Countess, Marie Camille, had inherited the house from her mother, who succeeded it from her mother, Pierre Marie Allendy. The exact construction date of Maison le Carne is not mentioned anywhere; researches tend to believe that it is more than 100 years old because the house already existed in 1912 when the grandmother of Countess Marie Camille died.
The Carne couple got married in Paris in 1928, and their first visit to Mauritius was in 1932, two years after the Rear-Admiral retired. They returned to the island in 1938 following which the Count becomes Commander of the Legion of Honour. He was then appointed to take command of a group of auxiliary cruisers in Brest during the Second World War. After the war, the Count de Carne settled permanently in Mauritius. He lived in the Maison le Carne with his wife for two years before he died. Following that, Countess Julie lived in the house alone for 37 years, as they had no children. She bequeathed the property to the Diocese of Port Louis in 1982. The home, the adjoining buildings and the land were valued at around 2 million rupees.
Institut Cardinal Jean Margeot Now
After the death of the Countess Julie de Carne in 1985, the Cardinal Jean Margeot Institute was moved into the walls of the Maison le Carne after some modifications were done. It was officially founded and inaugurated in 2009, even though the classes began two weeks before that. The institute has six departments - theology and pastoral, applied pedagogy, psycho-sociology, family and sexual education, social studies and intercultural and inter-religious dialogue. The Cardinal Jean Margeot institute continues the activities of the Catholic Institute of Mauritius, and it advocates the integral formation of its students according to the doctrine of the Church and the Cardinal's teachings; the teachings are recorded in various writings meant for the sole purpose of better exploration and valuation.
Walk into this Catholic institute to know it better!
Photos of Institut Cardinal Jean Margeot
More on Institut Cardinal Jean Margeot
How to Reach Institut Cardinal Jean Margeot
Coming from Port Louis, take the M2 motorway and take the exit to B1 in Moka. Continue on B1 and head towards Sir Celicourt Antelme St in Beau Bassin-Rose Hill and you will reach the Maison le Carne.