A passport is an extremely essential document to possess. It is a representative of an individual’s identity and a must-have for all. In the olden days, applying for a passport was a big hassle which required standing in long queues and days and days of waiting. But now, with the advent, applying for a passport has become really easy. The Passport Seva Website allows you to fill in your details and get an appointment date, within a matter of minutes. And once, you have the appointment fixed, you can just go to the office and finish the necessary requirements, and your passport is delivered to you in no time.
Have a look at the steps on how to apply for a passport online:
Step 1 : Go to the official website of Passport Seva Online Portal - https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink
Step 2 : You will find a ‘New User Registration’ link. Register yourself by clicking on it and filling in the basic details.
Step 3 : From here, you will obtain a Login ID which you will have to use to login to your new account.
Step 4 : After logging in, click on to the ‘Apply for Background Verification for GEP’ link.
Step 5 : There will appear a form before you that you will need to fill and cross check. Once done, click on ‘Submit’.
Step 6 : Next, click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ to pay the charges and get a date for visiting the office in person.
Step 7 : You will be directed to an online payment website. Online Payment has been made compulsory to schedule a visit or for booking appointments at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). There are two ways through which you can make the payment-
- Credit/Debit Card, MasterCard or Visa Card.
- Internet Banking at State Bank of India SBI or Associate Banks or Other Banks.
Step 9 : You can then choose one of the three listed dates for your appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) nearest to you depending on your availability.
Step 10 : While you can change the appointment dates thrice once you have submitted the application finally, refrain from changing it multiple times unless there is an emergency.
Please note, while it is not necessary to attach your documents online, it is absolutely mandatory to carry your original documents along when you visit the Passport Office.
Here’s a list of things to keep in mind before you visit the office:
- Carry the original documents along with you on the day of the appointment.
- Visit the centre mentioned in your appointment text/mail only. No other centre will take your application into consideration.
- Only emergency/medical cases and pre-approved categories are allowed to visit the Passport Office without prior information.
- Minor applicants (ages 4 and below) are expected to carry their latest passport size photographs- 4.5 X 3.5 cm with white background.