1. Sunrise Balloon AdventuresEstablished in 1998, Sunrise Balloon Adventures is a family run hot air balloon company flying happy customers since inception. Flying up to a height of 6000ft, you will experience nothing but the pure bliss of the sweeping views of Queenstown and surrounding areas. The company also offers shuttling services to and fro the hotels and accommodations. The balloons used are of premium Lindstrand and Kavangh, pioneers in aircraft manufacturing. Flying in these hot air balloons in New Zealand offer views of Coronet Peak, Mount Aspiring and Mount Tutoko among others. The whole journey takes about 3- 4 hours.
Address: Sunrise Balloons is based in Queenstown, New Zealand.
Cost: Adult 395 NZD Child 195 NZD
2. Ballooning CanterburyBallooning Canterbury has been one of the most successful companies at flying customers in hot air balloons in New Zealand since October 2012. With a team of professional balloonists, they leave no stone unturned in giving the best experience to their customers. Canterbury functions through spring, summer, autumn and winter and all flights take off at sunrise to experience the views at its best. Views of Canterbury plains and the activities in the farmlands will be clearly visible during the ride. The balloons here are from Cameron Balloon factory and are updated with the latest technologies.
Address: 2136 Bealey Road, Hororata 7671, New Zealand
Cost: Adult 395 NZD Child 320 NZD
3. Kiwi Balloon CompanyOne of the most renowned hot air balloon companies in New Zealand, the balloons of Kiwi fly over the city and the Waikato River giving stunning views of the mountains of Taranaki, Te Aroha and Ruapehu. Just like the all other balloon stations, the flight here takes off at dawn too and the experience lasts for around 4 hours which includes the guests taking part in inflating and deflating the balloon. There is no particular route map on to follow as the winds on the day decide where the balloons fly.
Address: 15 Hastings Place, Hamilton Lake, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand
Cost: Adult NZD 390 | Child: (7 to 12 years old) NZD 310
4. Balloon Flight SpecialistThe balloons here take off from Wanaka, but it doesn’t end just there. You can also fly from the place of your choice from the ones mentioned in their official website. The flight offers a surreal view of the countryside and the area of Wanaka. With trained professionals handling the flight, this hot air balloon experience in New Zealand is one that you will cherish for a lifetime.
Contact: [email protected]
Cost: 299 NZD
5. Adventure Balloons New ZealandAdventure Balloons, an adventure company that takes customers on hot air balloons in New Zealand, is located an hour away from Christchurch and is run by a team of professionals striving to give the best flight experience to their customers. Offering a flight at almost 6000ft, these balloons offer you a stunning view of the Canterbury plains, Southern Alps, Rakaia Gorge, Mt. Cook among others. The company also offer private balloon flights for special occasions of your choice. The guests will be transported to and from the meeting point and launch site.
Address: 20 Barkers Road, Methven 7730, New Zealand
Cost: Adult 425 NZD | Child 325 NZD
Hot Air Balloon Festivals in New ZealandApart from the dedicated ballooning agencies, hot air balloon rides can also be experienced from two of the major balloon festivals that happen annually at New Zealand. The Wairarapa Balloon Festival and Balloons over Waikato are annual hot air balloon festivals in New Zealand that last for 5 days. Balloons and pilots from various parts of the world flock here to celebrate this fun festival.
While the Wairarapa Balloon festival has an entry fee, Balloons over Waikato is a free event where everyone is welcome. Food stalls and games are put up here where families and friends flock together to experience the beauty of the majestic balloons hovering all around the sky.
We hope this article was helpful to you. Let us know of your experiences and thoughts in the comments section below.