Nightlife in New Zealand is adventurous, fun, dreamy, elite, gilt-edged and much more. There is something to please every soul across the different cities of the country. You can choose to party in Auckland or indulge in exciting nightspots in Queenstown. For a calmer experience enjoy theatre shows at Wellington or dine at uber luxurious spots in Christchurch.
The night scene in New Zealand is diverse to keep even the laziest of your friends up through the night and even affordable. Check out these nocturnal activities from different cities for an enthralling nightlife in New Zealand.
1. Hit the rocking bars & nightclubs- The most popular and stylish way to enjoy the nightlife in New Zealand. Auckland offers a selection of vibrant bars and restaurants that have beautiful décor and live music. Chug a beer or a cocktail at Britomart, Ponsonby, Viaduct Harbour, or Kingsland and dance the night away.
2. See sunset from Mt. Eden-
Watching a sunset is the best way to wind up your day and set in some romance into your nightlife in New Zealand. Auckland has several spots from where you can enjoy the breathtaking views of the sun setting over the city’s skyline. The highest natural viewpoint in the city is Mt. Eden. It offers stunning panoramic views of the city along with the thrill of watching the sunset atop a dormant volcano. You can also head to Awhitu Lighthouse, Piha, Muriwai and Mount Victoria to catch pretty sunsets around the city.
3. Spend an evening kayaking and trekking in Rangitoto Island- This activity is ideal for those looking for adding some adventure to their nightlife in New Zealand. You can kayak across the stunning Waitemata Harbour to reach Rangitoto Island. A hike up to the summit of the dormant volcano will be rewarded with the best views of the sun setting over the city. The best part of this tour is paddling back under the shimmering stars.
4. Enjoy the night skyline from The Sky Tower-
This 328 meters high iconic tower is a popular spot for experiencing enthralling nightlife in New Zealand. The telecommunications and observation tower is a hub of adventure and fun activities. You can indulge in world-class hotels, bars, theatres, and casinos. You can dine at the Sky Tower - Orbit 360˚ Dining revolving restaurant and enjoy 360˚ panoramic views of Auckland. To add a dash of adventure to your evening try the adrenaline pumping SkyWalk and SkyJump.
5. Night Mountain Biking at Woodhill Mountain Bike Park- Nightlife in New Zealand is beyond ordinary. Riding a bike in the forest at night is a popular sport and you can enjoy the buzz too. Head out with your bikes on a Wednesday to Woodhill Mountain Bike Park and join other bikers for a fun ride. You can also explore the night riding tracks at the Runway MTB Park and Totara Park in Manukau.
1. Appreciate fire dance at Frank Kitts Park- Located at the Wellington Waterfront this lush park offers the best scene of nightlife in New Zealand. It has a play area and an amphitheatre-style seating area for picnics. The park is also a hub for music and art events. During summers you can enjoy the spectacular fire dance on Tuesday nights.
2. Enjoy late-night board gaming- Playing board games is a casual yet fun way to experience nightlife in New Zealand. The Counter Culture Board Game Cafe and Bar keeps you entertained with over 900 board games late into the night. You can buy game passes for NZD 10 per person and play unlimited games for three hours. If you buy food and beverages you get passes at a discount for NZD 5 only.
3. Watch stars at Space Place- Watching the starry skies at Space Place Planetarium is among the most unique experiences of nightlife in New Zealand. The full-dome planetarium offers multimedia exhibits, interactive galleries, astronomical events, and the giant Thomas Cooke telescope. You can enjoy stargazing sessions every Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.
4. Spot Glowworms at Botanic Garden- Perfect for nature lovers who wish to explore the nightlife in New Zealand, The Botanic Garden is open 24/7 and free for visitors. You can catch up on some family-friendly events and hangout till night to spot glow worms around the place. These little beauties are surely going to take your heart away and you can even spot them at Otari-Wilton’s Bush.
5. Catch the buzz at Bohemian Cuba Street- The best nightlife in New Zealand happens on the hippest street of its capital city. The colorful Bohemian Cuba Street in Wellington is overloaded with nightclubs, high-energy bars, eateries, and chill out spots that connect you with the laid-back culture of the city.
1. Watch the traditional Maori Performance- Getting insights about the Maori traditions and culture adds to the vibrancy of nightlife in New Zealand. The ideal way to soak up the culture is to spend an evening enjoying a Maori Performance in the culturally rich city of Christchurch. The history is depicted through song and dance accompanied by the famous war dance ‘Kapa Haka’. You are also served a delicious meal including a seafood platter with seasonal delicacies. Rotorua, Waiheke Island, Hokianga, and Whanganui National Park are other places where you can experience the best of Maori in New Zealand.
2. Take a late-night tour to the Christchurch Art Gallery- As vivid as nightlife can be in New Zealand, a free guided tour of the Te Puna o Waiwhetū (Christchurch Art Gallery) in the artsy city of Christchurch is a must-do. The tours start at 7:15 PM lasting around an hour and give you insights into the famous art collections of New Zealand and a few international ones.
3. Get intrigued at the Court Theatre- Located in the suburb of Addington, The Court Theatre is a cultural hotspot that adds oomph to the vivid nightlife in New Zealand. Theatrical works are created and presented by artists from different genres. You can catch New Zealand’s most popular and longest-running late-night comedy show, ‘Scared Scriptless’ or pick your show from the specials.
4. Dinner at the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant-
Experience nightlife in New Zealand in a whole new way as you spend 2.5 hours exploring the heritage city of Christchurch on a tram. The Christchurch Tramway Restaurant tour takes you on a tour of the city while you relish a luxurious 4-course meal on the vintage tram.
5. Head to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre with your gang- Entertaining events are organized at the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre for large groups interested in exploring the nightlife in New Zealand. You can plan a fun night out with your group and enjoy solving a murder in the Victorian-era theme park. The costumes, props, tram rides, and great food keep you engaged through the night. The actors ensure audience involvement so that everyone has fun.
1. Watch the Southern Lights- Nightlife in New Zealand becomes mesmerizing with Southern Lights or Aurora Australis. During winters the skies just a bit ahead of Queenstown are ideal for watching the colourful Southern Lights at midnight. Dunedin, Invercargill, Catlins, and Stewart Island are other great spots for aurora spotting in New Zealand.
2. Go bungee jumping at night- After-dark bungee jumping is a sport for adrenaline junkies looking out for thrilling ways to experience nightlife in New Zealand. Ledge Bungy is an urban jump-off spot 400 meters above Queenstown where you can challenge yourself to delve into darkness. The beautiful backdrop of the city adds to the excitement.
3. Night ski at Coronet Peak-
During winter nightlife in New Zealand becomes everything you have fascinated ever. Coronet Peak is the first commercial ski field in New Zealand and it offers night skiing from 22nd June to 31st August each year on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays between 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM. You can buy passes for NZD 65 and enjoy skiing through floodlight lit trails with live DJs playing groovy music in the background.
4. Go on an Evening cruise and farm tour- Couples looking for a romantic experience of nightlife in New Zealand can opt for the evening cruise on Lake Wakatipu. Enjoy the scenic sunset as you head to Walter Peak High Country Farm for a sumptuous barbecue dinner. The cruise gives you insights into the Kiwi lifestyle, traditions, and food.
5. Stargazing at the Skyline Gondola-
Queenstown is a great place for stargazing and for a more surreal experience of nightlife in New Zealand you can head to Skyline Gondola. Book a tour and enjoy viewing constellations, planets, comets, and nebulas through Celestron telescopes. A fascinating gondola ride and astounding views of the city from the top make it a memorable experience.