Previously known as Palais du Government, Raj Niwas is an eighteenth century building presently serving as the residence of Lieutenant Governor of Pondicherry.
Not open to the general public, the structure serves as a prime tourist spot of Pondicherry. One will also see an old court featuring Legislative Assembly situated within the building's premises. However, the prime attraction of Raj Niwas is the monolithic pillars which were brought here from Gingee Fort after it was captured in the year 1751. A few more pillars from Gingee Fort currently also surround the Gandhi Mandapam on Promenade Beach as well. A water monument is another attraction of the building lying amid the well-maintained garden.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free