Time Required : 2 - 3 hrs
Entry Fee : No Entry Fee
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
The Convent and Church of St. John of God is an olden Portuguese days structure built in 1685 dedicated to Our Lady of Good Success. Situated in North Goa, next to the tower of St. Augustine, the building is very ordinary looking depicting the traditional designs of Portuguese architecture. It is believed that in 1685, eight Brothers from the Congregation of St. John of God constructed the building. They were sent to Goa by the Portuguese King Dom Pedro II to look after the sick in the hospital. When the suppression of religious orders was implemented in 1835, the convent was used as a hospital for the poor and the needy.
In 1844, the convent was bought over by the nuns of St. Monica to be used as residence for their chaplains etc., and so the convent eventually lost its importance. And in 1850, the roof of the Church was removed. Finally in 1961, the convent was repaired and restored by the Portuguese Military Force. Later in 1964, it was taken over by the Sisters of the Congregation of the Portuguese Franciscan Hospitallers. As of now, the sisters occupy both the church and the convent and they also run an Old Age Home.