Timings : One must be a part of a convoy to get through the jungle and eventually to the island. The first lot starts at 6:30 AM and the last one is at 2:30 PM (refer note). You can plan your trip accordingly. The first convoy timings are as follows -
- 6:30 AM – start from Jikaratang to Nilambar jetty escorted by security personnel
- 9:00 AM – take a ferry ride to Baratang Island – duration 20 minutes
Location : Bay of Bengal
Activities and Experiences : Popular activities at the Batarang Island include boating through the mangrove forests and limestone caves, untouched beaches, light treks and hikes and bird watching.
Area : 93.67 mi²
Also Known As : Ranchiwalas Island
Best Time to Visit : October to May. Going during monsoons can be dangerous and must be avoided.
Facilities : - Availability of Forest and PWD guest houses. Advance booking required
- Toilets at Jirkatang check post
- Tea stalls and small South Indian food joints can be found at Jirkatang
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
Baratang Island, also known as Ranchiwalas Island, is a beautiful little island in the North and Middle Andaman Administrative district and is situated about 100 kilometres away from Port Blair by road. The island is well-known for its mangroves, mud volcanoes (only ones in India) and limestone caves. However, you may need to take permission from the Forest Department at Baratang to explore these caves.
Unlike Havelock Island, Baratang Island is not as developed for urban tourism and mostly serves as a hub for natural sightseeing. You can reach Baratang island via the government ferry service that runs between Port Blair city at the Phoenix Bay Jetty. Andaman Trunk Road that connects Rangat and Mayabunder passes through the Baratang Island and meanders through the lush green rainforests.
How to Reach Baratang Island : Baratang island is located 100 km from the capital of Port Blair. You can choose to book a private taxi or take the government buses which run from Port Blair. There are also government ferry services that run between Port Blair and Baratang Island and onward to Havelock Island.
Timings and Location: They start at the Phoenix Bay Jetty at 05:30 AM each day.
Tickets: You can avail the tickets for the same at the Single Window, Tourist Information Center at the Directorate of I & P, between 09:00 AM to 04:00 PM.
|Port Blair||---||05:30AM IST|
|Baratang||08:30 AM IST||1:00 PM IST|
|Port Blair||05:00 PM IST||---|
Things to Note : 1. While visiting the limestone caves, do not try to make contact with the tribal people.
2. The mud volcano isn't an ideal destination for children below 10 years.
3. Always stick to your routes and not venture into the restricted areas.
4.The food outlets here serve delightful Indian cuisine as well.
5. Keep in mind that many locals here are not well versed in English.
6. If you wish to halt for a night, a special permit is needed from the UT Administration
7. Avoid sunbathing because of ample sand flies swarming in the area
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
₹ 2,600 onwards
₹ 2,805 onwards
₹ 7,250 onwards