Souvenirs from New Zealand consist of a variety of things like jewellery, food, artwork, clothes, and health products. Here’s a list of the best souvenirs to keep an eye for:
1. Pounamu/Jade NecklacePounamu is another name for greenstone, a popular kind of jade in New Zealand and is one of the most popular souvenirs from New Zealand. Hugely significant in the Maori Culture, Pounamu is considered precious and has hence earned the name ‘tanga’ meaning treasure. The jade necklace is produced by carving New Zealand’s national gem(Pounamu) into human-like figures, which is then worn around the neck.
Although Pounamu is generally carved into ornaments, tools are also made from it. Referred to as ‘the God stone’, jade necklaces are not generally bought for one’s self since it is considered to be bad luck. They are supposed to be bought only if you plan on gifting them to someone. Pounamu can be easily found in any of the souvenir shops in Auckland or Rotorua.
2. Whittaker’s ChocolateDating its presence among the devoured tastes of New Zealand’s people for more than one hundred and twenty years, Whittaker’s Chocolate has been putting up tough competition against Cadbury. Apart from the iconic products to its name like the ‘Peanut Slab’, they try to introduce new and different flavours like the Jelly Tip Block. Their tremendous range of chocolate bars is available on the supermarkets throughout the country and makes for great gifts and souvenirs from New Zealand.
3. Merino WoolSoft, warm and odour-free, Merino Wool made from the merino sheep have attained huge popularity everywhere and makes for some of the most sought-after souvenirs from New Zealand. It is used in sweaters, socks, underwear, sneakers, etc. Garments made from merino wool can be purchased from souvenir shops and clothing stores alike. Some of the leading brands are ‘Kathmandu’ and ‘Untouched World’.
4. New Zealand WineHome of legendary wines that have won accolades, New Zealand is currently one of the major producers of wine in the world. Grabbing a bottle of their sought after drinks like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Nair from one of their auspicious wineries is considered as the real deal. However, the supermarkets and liquor stores also provide them. If a bottle is gifted to those in your family or any one of your friends who love wine, they are sure to cheer up after it.
5. The One Ring from Lord of the RingsIf you are a fan of ‘The Lord of The Rings’ franchise and was constantly amazed by its exotic locations, knowing that the films were shot in New Zealand, would only deepen your affiliation with the country. Lord of the Rings souvenirs from New Zealand are some of the most highly desired items. Despite being available almost anywhere in the world, The LOTR merchandise of the finest quality is available only in New Zealand. You should definitely consider getting your own replica of the One ring from Wellington’s Weta Cave which has the first-rate products.
6. Manuka HoneyManuka Honey always has an exceptional demand for its antibacterial properties. Known to be one of the most expensive foods in the world, it also makes for perfect souvenirs from New Zealand. Seen in all of the supermarkets in New Zealand, it is very expensive than regular honey. Manuka Honey is produced when European bees pollinate the Manuka tree and are rarely seen in markets outside New Zealand. Other than its use as a breakfast spread, Manuka honey is also sold as an alternative medicine for many ailments such as gastric ulcers and cystic fibrosis. There are several beauty products made from it like face moisturizers and soaps.
7. All Blacks Rugby ShirtWinners of the 1987, 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cups, ‘All Blacks’ is the iconic rugby team of New Zealand with fans from all over the world. The All Blacks Rugby Shirt is part of the team’s rugby gear and a priceless souvenir. It is impressive to own a pair of these, but chances of you fitting into the shirt are quite slim, if not you should be really big.
8) Wooden Buzzy BeeMade out of wood and cheerfully coloured, the Buzzy Bee has consistently been the favourite toy of New Zealand’s children, since it was first manufactured in the 1930s. Available in every toy store and toy section, it has attached wings that rotate and make a clicking sound when pulled, both which have become iconic features.
9) Kiwi soft toyKiwi soft toy is the adorable toy version of the bird Kiwi. With feathers that remind of hair, no ability to fly and size close to a domestic chicken, Kiwis are birds found only in New Zealand who have now become the country’s national icon. It is very unlikely for you to come across an actual Kiwi out in the wilderness of New Zealand, but the Kiwi plush/soft toy makes up for it and would be a splendid gift for your child.
10) Chocolate FishCovered in a wafer-thin layer of milk chocolate with a raspberry flavoured pink or white marshmallow center, the chocolate fish is a delicious fish-shaped confectionery item. A favourite treat for children that is available in almost every supermarket, it is given as a reward according to the Kiwi culture.
11) Pineapple LumpsAn early version of pineapple flavoured chocolate fish that was produced, caused a lot of the marshmallow to go to waste. Once a confectionary manager named Charles Diver discovered this and made use of the leftovers by covering them in a thin layer of chocolate and renaming them as Pineapple Lumps. The New Zealand sweet inspired from the chocolate fish then turned into a dear snack and is still popular even after fifty years.
Are there more of the prized souvenirs to be collected from New Zealand? Let us know in the comments.