Weather in San Francisco in OctoberThanks to its warm Mediterranean climate throughout the year, San Francisco is a popular tourist destination throughout the year. During October, the temperatures hover between 60℉ and 70℉, making it amongst the best times to visit the city. Despite its proximity to the sea, the city is shielded from winds thanks to its terrain. These factors make October a great time to go out and explore the city.
Maximum temperature: 88.1℉
Minimum temperature: 49.6℉
Rainfall: 1.12 in
Events in San Francisco in October
Celebrated on October 31st, Halloween is amongst the most recognizable American festivals globally. While adults dress up for costume parties, attend Halloween cruises and go on trick or treat pub crawls, children enjoy trick or treating and can carve their own Jack-O-Lanterns. Halloween themed events, festivals and haunts are held throughout the month. Tourists must definitely not miss out on these spooky Halloween themed attractions.
2. San Francisco Fleet WeekThe San Francisco Fleet Week is an annual event commemorating the American Naval services. The week is marked by a parade of ships as well as the San Francisco Air Show, featuring acrobatic aerial displays. These daredevil acts are performed by the Blue Angels team of the US Navy and other squadrons. Other events include the Veterans Art Exhibit and concerts in memory of fallen soldiers.
3. San Francisco Street Food Fest
San Francisco Street Food Festival is an annual festival conducted to celebrate the culinary heritage of the community. Uniting over 50+ chefs, visitors can enjoy the food and drink while supporting the cause of equity for women and the immigrant community of the Bay Area. The festival is also made vibrant by live entertainment and activities that provide an insight into the various cultures of the region.
4. Brews on the BayBrews on the Bay is an annual beer festival. Held on the S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien, a World War II merchant marine ship, the unique festival offers some of the finest locally crafted beers. The ship is docked at Pier 45, and offers stunning views of Alcatraz Island as well as the Golden Gate Bridge, making it a truly memorable experience.
Things to Do in San Francisco in October
1. Cycle on the Golden Gate Bridge
The pleasant weather is ideal for cycle trips across the Golden Gate Bridge. One can stop on the bridge to watch the San Francisco Bay meet the Pacific Ocean. Other scenic views include the San Francisco skyline and the surrounding terrain of the Bay Area. Fitness enthusiasts can explore more of the city’s biking trails beyond the bridge.
2. Visit a Pumpkin Patch
Families with young kids will love this one. With Halloween being celebrated at the end of the month, kids can enjoy the hay bales, and marvel at the huge farm equipment. Guests can support the local farming community, while also picking up a pumpkin to make a Jack-o’-lantern or a delicious pumpkin pie.
3. Attend a ConcertThe scenic views and multicultural audience make San Francisco amongst the most popular locations for concerts. Catch global artists at venues like the Great American Music Hall and the San Francisco Theater, singing and dancing the night away. People with an affinity for classical music can catch the San Francisco Symphony in action during the month.
4. Fish in the San Francisco BayThanks to the mixture of seawater and freshwater, the San Francisco Bay is home to a large variety of fish. Hire a boat and enjoy the calm waters and pleasant weather, while trying to catch rockfish, King salmon and striped bass. One can also enjoy the scenic surroundings of the Bay Area, or catch the picture-perfect sunset.
Tips When Visiting San Francisco in October
- While the weather is pleasant in October, do have a jacket in hand. This is especially helpful when you visit the coastal areas, where wind chills could make you feel colder than it actually is.
- If you are looking to explore the entire city, especially over a long stay, so make sure to grab a City Pass. This not only gives you access to multiple tourist attractions at a cheaper rate but also provides you with free commutes on the public transport system around the city.
- October marks the end of the peak tourist season. However, rates could still be relatively high due to Halloween festivities, especially towards the latter half of the month. Do make reservations in advance to get the best deals, and thus save more.
- Peak hour rush can often cause delays due to traffic jams. Plan well and have a sufficient time buffer to ensure you can reach tourist attractions on time, especially the ones you have made reservations for.