The Climate of San Francisco in FebruaryUsually, most days in San Francisco in February are cold and rainy as this month falls under the city’s rainy season. However, there are also days where you can get warm and clear weather. This city is also warmer compared to the other destinations in the US, Canada, and Europe during this month. Many tourists from the northern part of the Hemisphere find this climate comforting and pleasant. The daytime temperature doesn’t rise above 61° F, and the nighttime temperature doesn’t go below 48° F.
Average high temperature: 61° F/16° C
Average Low Temperature: 48° F/9° C
Average Rainfall: 4.6 Inches
Top Places to Visit in San Francisco in FebruaryEven though February has rainy and cloudy days, there are many places one can visit during their stay. Witness the first signs of spring in PIER 39, meet the players of your favorite basketball team, watch famous Broadway shows, and get free access to visit some renowned museums.
1. PIER 39 for TulipmaniaFebruary is the best time of the year to visit Pier 39. With the arrival of spring, you’ll be able to witness over 39,000 blooming tulips and other seasonal flowers. The tulips usually start blooming from the beginning of February and last till mid-march. You can opt for the free guided tours to learn some amazing gardening tips from your tour guide. However, there is also an option for a self-guided tour to take any time of the day. But make sure to get your instructional guide pamphlet before starting your self-guided tour.
Timings: 11am - 6 pm
Entry fee: Since PIER 39 is not gated, there isn’t any price for entry.
2. Oracle Park for SF Giants FanFest
If you are a baseball lover, then you must visit this place. It’s a great way to get into this sport’s spirit before the season for the official baseball game starts. Every year, the San Francisco Giants throws a massive celebration at Oracle Park for their fans, where you will get a chance to meet them, get their autographs and click pictures with them. You can also catch the last season’s highlights from the Giants Highlight Theater if you decide to visit San Francisco in February.
Timings: 10am - 3pm
3. Orpheum Theater for HamiltonSan Francisco is the hub for some great and classic Broadway shows. The month of February offers many such theater plays, but the most popular musical is Hamilton. It revolves around the story of Alexander Hamilton, one of the founding fathers of the United States. Some other great Broadway shows in February include SpongeBob: The Musical and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
Ticket for Hamilton: $95 onwards
4. Museums for Free Admission DaysThe city has many renowned museums, and every month these museums offer free admission on certain days. The Asian Art Museum is free to attend on the first Sunday of every month, whereas de Young is free on the first Tuesday of every month. Make sure to check your calendar to know about the specific date before visiting the museums.
Timings for de Young: 9:30 am - 5:15 pm
Timings for The Asian Art Museum: 10 am - 5 pm
Major Festivals and Events in San Francisco in FebruarySan Francisco offers a lot of the biggest festivals and major events this month.
1. San Francisco Independent Film Festival (SF IndieFest)First started in 1998, this film festival takes place every year, showcasing the best of independent films from all around the globe. It usually lasts for around two weeks and includes various genres like features, documentaries, and animation. It has also gained massive attention from the press for throwing some of the best parties and live music events.
Date: Jan 29- Feb 13 [Tentative]
Venue: Roxie Theatre and many others
2. San Francisco Beer WeekAlthough it's called beer week, this celebration goes on for ten days. It includes a wide range of events for craft beer and the community within it. If socializing is something you love, then it is a must-visit for you. You would find hundreds of events from various businesses like beer dinners and meet the brewer evenings. However, even if you are not a fan of beer, there are activities involving no alcohol consumption.
Date: Feb 7- 16 [Tentative]
Venue: Various locations around the Bay Area
3. Chinese New Year and ParadeThe Chinese New year parade in San Francisco ranks among the top ten Parades in the world. It is the biggest parade that takes place outside of Asia to celebrate the lunar new year. The parade includes giant floats, exciting costumes, and firecrackers. This parade's highlight is the golden dragon, which takes over 180 men and women to carry it. Events like the Chinese New Year Flower Fair, Miss Chinatown USA Pageant takes place around the parade. This festival offers an excellent opportunity to know more about Chinese culture and tradition. Visit San Francisco in February and get to experience this one-of-a-kind extravaganza!
Date: 12 February
4. British Film festivalIt is another one of the popular film festivals that happen in San Francisco. It lasts for a week and shows the latest classic films and documentaries from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, India, and South Africa. This film festival first started in 2009 for the movie lovers in San Francisco and neighborhood theaters.
Date: February 13-20 [Tentative]
Venue: Vogue Theatre, 3290 Sacramento St.
5. San Francisco Chronicle Wine CompetitionIt is known as the largest competition for North American wine. Over 7000 people participate from various North American states each year. After the judges announce the competition’s winners, public tasting starts. People now can taste award-winning wines from over 800 wineries and many other delicious foods. You’ll also be able to have a conversation with the winemakers to educate yourself more about wines and their current trends.
Date: February 15
Venue: Fort Mason Center
6. Mardi Gras San Francisco StyleThis annual celebration opens with a free blues concert and shows creative costumes, delicious foods, and vibrant beads. The concert is followed by a New Orleans style second line parade that ends at the Masquerade Ball in Fillmore. Therein people can enjoy New Orleans food and more blues music from famous singers.
Date: February 25th
Venue: Fillmore Plaza
Tips for Travelers Visiting San Francisco in February
- Since February is an off-season for this city, hotels' room rates become low due to its less demand.
- On rainy days, indulge in a delicious Irish coffee from nearby cafes. In the US, Irish coffee first came to the attention of a bartender at the Buena Vista Hotel in San Francisco.