Yes, you heard right! While Varanasi and Haridwar are famous for its lit and mind-blowing Ganga Aarti, Ramkrishnapur Ghat offers nothing less. Right from harmonious chanting of mantras, colourful flowers, and grand Aarti Thaal (brass lamps) to a massive crowd of devoted attendees, everything is taken care of. The vibes of this place are such that even with such a large number of devotees present, one's soul will be satisfied.
The spirit of Ramkrishnapur Ghat's Ganga Aarti is nothing less than that of Varanasi. It will be safe to suggest that you can skip Varanasi and come to this historic ghat of Kolkata to witness the spectacular Ganga Aarti. The fragrance from incense sticks, horns blowing from conch shells and a mesmerising view of the ghat will make you forget about the world.
TipWe highly recommend you to take a boat ride and watch the aarti from the middle of the river. The experience is surreal, something that will make in the list of your unforgettable memories. You can hire a ride from Babughat.
Facts About Ramkrishnapur Ghat
- Ramkrishnapur Ghat is one of the oldest ghats in Kolkata.
- This Ghat also has one of the oldest ferry services on the river Ganga.
- On the morning of Magha Purnima, Swami Vivekananda's boat was anchored at Ramkrishnapur Ghat during his historic visit to his devotee in the year 1898.
- On the 115th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda's visit, the event as recreated by his followers on February 25, 2013. Again a morning of Magha Purnima, two boats full of monks did everything exactly like Swamiji did, right from anchoring their boats to Ramkrishnapur ghat, singing and dancing on the same song 'Ka re ore Digambara' to visiting Nabagopal Ghosh's house (his devotee he visited in 1898)
- Ramkrishnapur ghat is also famous for immersion of the idol after Durga Puja.
- You can also witness the beautiful skyline of the twin city- Kolkata.
How to Reach Ramkrishnapur Ghat:
Rail:Ramkrishnapur Ghat is well connected by rail with Eden Garden railway station being at a distance of 4.9 km and B.B.D Bagh Railway station at 3.3 km only. You'll need to take a ferry to cross the river or hire a taxi to reach the ghat.
Air:Located at mere distance of 17.4 km, Ramkrishnapur Ghat is very easily accessible from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport.
Bus: Ramkrishnapur Ghat is well connected to nearby towns as there are many bus stations like Strand Rd - 4.6 km, Babughat bus stand 4.9 km, High Court - 5 km and Koilaghat 3.7km. You can take a ferry from Babughat and cross the river to reach Ramkrishnapur Ghat.