The trend of travelling the world on a budget came with the popularity of blogging and vlogging. Instagram has lifestyle bloggers all over it who go on a budget and yet manage to have a Pinterest vacation. So here are some ideas on how to save money for travel.
1. Pick Your Type of Travel
2. Research About Your Destination
3. Ink Down Your Expenses
4. Bring out the Piggy Bank
5. Save! Save! Save!
6. Spend Less on FoodCooking for yourself and eating it is always going to be self-gratifying and cheaper. If there is no way you can cook for yourself, choose a food catering service or a food mess in order to save money as eating at different places is just going to cost you more money. Cut down on those fancy coffee and luxury food, indulge in local delicacies and street food, go back to the roots. Remember, the idea is to cut down and spend less, not starve yourself; so eat to your heart's content keeping the end goal in mind which is to travel.
7. Use Public TransportTake full advantage of the public transport systems in your country and save money on intra-country travel. Using your own vehicles and taxis will only lead to you spending more money or better yet, get yourself a bicycle for short distances; environment-friendly and a workout for the earth-conscious people. If you find all this a bit extreme, you can opt for ride-sharing services by companies like Uber, Lyft, Ola and more. Every bit of money you save inches your dream of travel closer.
8. Save on Bills and UtilitiesIf you are a cable TV binger, maybe it's time to say goodbye to it. You won't have to sit and be subjected to addictive saturated programming and you save money in cable bills. Reducing the consumption of water and electricity can also go a long way in getting you the money you need to finally getaway. You can find so many ways to reduce the use of electricity just by looking around your house. Always keep the end goal in mind; travel. In the end, it will all be worth it.
9. Limiting your entertainment and leisure activitiesInstead of going out to eat, invite people to your homes and cook the food. Go to places on days there are free admission or look for free things to do during the free time. You don't always have to spend money to have a good time, take a look around and there will always be something you can do without burning a hole in your pocket.
We all have a hidden talent or even a hobby, its time to make money out of it. If you like to do artistic work, customise your art for friends and your known social group and sell it. It is a great way to optimise your skills.
10. Get rid of habits that cost youIf you’re a smoker, quit smoking. A habit of going out at night to party? Stay in. Serial book buyer? Get free ebooks or borrow. A spa-goer? Stay in, take a bath. Expensive gym membership? Cancel it, use your surroundings, breathe in the fresh air. Feel like spending money? Don’t.
Always make sure to remember what you’re striving for. That is to travel and have a life-changing experience which is going to stay with you forever so keep the short term luxuries away for a while and get travelling!
Yes, this sounds like a lot of sacrifices, but being wandering the world will make it worth it! Don’t restrict yourself for the world was meant to be explored. Some of the beautiful places on Earth might be far away; for a traveller, everything is a wish away. So set your heart on a dream vacay and motivate yourself to work towards it, and there will be no such feeling like making your dreams come true on your own accord. Bon Voyage for the wanderer in you!