Timings : 24 hours
Time Required : 4-5 hours
Entry Fee : No entry fee
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
Vembanad Lake is a lagoon located in the district of Alleppey in the South-Indian state of Kerala. This expansive lake/ lagoon is longest lake in the country and the largest Lake in Kerala, accessible from Kottayam, Kuttanad and Kochi. Vembanad Lake is known by different names in different regions of Kerala. It is called the Kochi Lake in Kochi, the Punnamada Lake in Kuttanad and as Vembanad in Kottayam. Locals also call it Vembanad Kol or Vembanad Kayal.
1. Bird WatchingThe wetland of Vembanad creates an environment suitable for flora and fauna found in the region. Tourists frequently visit the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary located on the coast of the lake for an exciting bird-watching experience. One can find a large population of Waterfowl along with other birds like the Cuckoo, the Owl, the Egret, Heron, Brahminy Kite, Parrot, Flycatcher, Lark, Teal, the Siberian Crane etc.
2. Enjoy the Ride Through the Brackish Lagoons on a BoatWith a vast expanse covered by the lake waters, boating is but an apparent activity to indulge in when visiting the lake. Sailing in the tranquil waters and exploring the surroundings will put everyone at peace and making them live in the moment without a worry about the world. Tourists can choose from Day Boat Tours of Night Boat Tours according to their convenience.
1. Kerala HouseboatsThe Best part about Kerala Backwaters is that they make you feel the comfort of home yet taking you around the calm backwaters. Houseboats are available at Kasaragod, Kollam, Kottayam, Alappuzha, Thrissur, and Ernakulam. An average houseboat can host around 4-5 people, and the cost depends on the packages and the seasons. The cost can range anywhere between INR 6000 to INR 45000.
2. Canoe Boats (Kettavulam)You can also opt for Canoe Boats or Kettuvalam (a boat that looks like a rice barge) and go for Village Tours. This is one of the best ways to experience local life at a slow pace. It usually has a capacity of 5-6 people and takes around 3 to 6 hours and costs around 400 - 1000 per person. The tours start from Alleppey, Kochi and Kollam.
3. Public Ferries by SWTDState Water Transport Department runs ferries at regular intervals from boat jetty and VCSB (Boat Jetty). The cost of the ferry is as low as INR 5. You can check the schedule on their official website. The ferry will take you through this network of brackish lagoons at a very low cost.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
$ 22 onwards
$ 20 onwards
$ 23 onwards
$ 137 onwards
$ 14 onwards
$ 29 onwards
₹ 4,425 onwards
₹ 5,898 onwards
₹ 7,472 onwards
₹ 3,929 onwards
₹ 12,390 onwards
₹ 12,815 onwards