Here is your guide to the what and where of shopping at Jaisalmer-
Famous Markets in Jaisalmer
1. Bhatia BazaarThe bazaar is located in the main region of Jaisalmer. It is one of the oldest markets and a popular spot for tourists famous for its silk, souvenirs and sarees.
What to Buy: woodworks, mirror embroidery, dress materials
Timings: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
2. Sadar BazaarFor shopping in Jaisalmer, head to the Sadar Bazaar - one of the main markets of Jaisalmer which sells a wide array of products like dupattas, shawls, jewellery, paintings, carpets and particularly leather products.
What to Buy: Leather Accessories
Timings: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
3. Sonaron ka BasSonaron ka Bas translates into 'abode of goldsmiths'. A must-visit for jewellery enthusiasts, this shopping place in Jaisalmer is extremely crowded during festive occasions when women throng to buy impressive jewellery of different kinds. The market sells precious and semi-precious stones along with gold and silver jewellery.
What to Buy: Jewellery
Timings: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
4. Pansari BazaarLooking for traditional, ethnic Rajasthani objects? Head straight to Pansari Bazaar. One of the oldest street markets of Jaisalmer, it is also called the Villager's market. The shops here sell a variety of handicrafts and home décor items. It is the best place to purchase traditional clothing items and puppets.
What to Buy: Handicrafts and other souvenirs
Timings: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
5. Light of the EastLight of the East is a unique store that sells rare and precious stones and over forty different varieties of crystals and precious stones. Quartz, Jasper, Sandstone, Aventurine, Onyx and Aquamarine are some of the famous stones available here. This enthralling shop keeps a precious piece of Apophyllite which is not for sale.
6. Manak ChowkManak Chowk is another excellent place for shopping in Jaisalmer, especially handicrafts, ethnic jewellery and textiles. It is one of the oldest marketplaces which was highly prominent in the medieval period. It showcases the skill of the local artisans and aptly reflects the culture of Rajasthan.
What to Buy: Handirafts and Textiles
Timings: 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM
7. Seema GramSeema Gram is a good destination to purchase dupattas, scarves and trinkets at a reasonable rate. Here, you can also find the Khadi Gramudyog Bhawan.
What to Buy: Scarfs and DupattasOther places for shopping in Jaisalmer are Gandhi Darshan, Khadi Gramudyog Emporium, Zila Khadi Gramodan Parishad and Rajasthali, the government store.
Timings: 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Things to Buy in Jaisalmer
1. Mirror Work EmbroideryThe famous mirror work embroidery on vibrantly coloured fabrics reflects the colourful culture of the state of Rajasthan. Jaisalmer is a hub for mirror work products like cushion covers, banjara bags, quilts, bed covers, wall hangings and Kantha quilts. These are elegant, fade-proof, strong inbuilt and lightweight. The traditional craft is given a contemporary touch in various handicraft products and is a must-buy for fashion fiends.
2. Camel Leather ProductsThe craft of creating products from leather goes back to ancient civilisations. Today, leather products of India, are not only catering to domestic needs but are also being exported to different countries. Cities like Jaipur, Bikaner and Jaisalmer are renowned for their products made of camel hide. This includes a variety of products like bags, mojaris, purses, phone covers, files, hats, jackets, key chains, diaries and saddles. An interesting product which is made of camel leather is Kopi, a special kind of water bottle. The decorative leather saddles are also exported worldwide.
3. JewelleryJaisalmer is famous for its intricate gold and silver jewellery. The intricate Rajasthani jewellery includes necklaces, earrings, bracelets, anklets, etc. What sets the jewel apart is the unique cut of the stones. The stones are hand cut and polished manually. The local markets also offer a variety of junk jewellery at low prices.
4. Jaisalmer Fossil StoneThe Hadur Stone which carries the residuals of aquatic species from over 180 million years ago, is famous for its mystical properties. This ancient and beautiful stone is believed to have medicinal properties. Not only this, but it is also claimed that the stone can be used to ferment milk into yoghurt without the aid of starter culture. The stone is only available in Jaisalmer and Fatehpur Sikri. It is reddish-brown with dark patterns and can be seen on the floors of Jain temples at the Golden Fort. The stone is sold at various prices, from Rs 150 to Rs 5000.
5. Souvenirs and Gift ItemsBrassware, rugs, shawls, carpets, carved wooden boxes, antiques, lamps, trinkets and other curious are some of the easily and widely available items which are worth buying in Jaisalmer.
Your visit to Jaisalmer is incomplete without satisfying your inner shopaholic. Get enchanted by the market streets and palaces of the city. Shopping in Jaisalmer is a treat for the eyes with its multitudes of objects and colours.