Famous for its tea plantations, Darjeeling is a haven for tea addicts, shopping in Darjeeling and in its small markets and old school malls will give you a great feel for the town. The authentic flavors and aromas of the teas will steal your heart away. Apart from hoarding packets of tea leaves, one can also shop local knick-knacks such as handicraft items, woolen scarves and caps, faux jewelry items, and many other things from the markets in the city. Whether it is the Chowk Bazaar that you head to or The Mall Road, you will have a marvelous experience shopping in Darjeeling.
Top Places for Shopping in Darjeeling:
1. Nehru RoadLocated on the Hill Cart Road, this market has small shops which have been set up by the local population of Darjeeling. A must-visit shopping destination, Nehru Road, offers a delightful street shopping experience for shopaholics. The market stretches on an uphill road. In recent years, several branded stores have also opened their outlets. The State Government added a Handicrafts Emporium recently. For those who love arts and crafts, make sure that you pick up some stunning paintings for your home. The art specimens contributed by skilled Bengali craftsmen and artisans can also be seen at the Art Gallery in the locality. It is advisable to keep cash in handy because most of the shops do not accept cards here.
What to Buy: Darjeeling tea, woollens, handicrafts, leather handbags, books, paintings, Khukree or Gorkha knives, Buddha statues
Timings: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
2. Batasia Loop MarketThis market gets its name as a result of its location. The street shopping destination is located on Ghum and Darjeeling's loop-line. If you are an avid shopper who is aware of the bargaining tricks, then this is the right place for you. You can shop heap full of bags without burning a hole in your pocket. There is also a toy train line starting from here which will surely enhance your experience of shopping in Darjeeling.
What to Buy: House decor items, Woollen wear, accessories for women
Timings: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
3. Ghoom Monastery MarketThe ideal time to visit the Ghoom Monastery and the market in the vicinity is early mornings and evenings because the sunrise and sunset from here are simply mesmerising. The colourful bunting banners adorning the streets, give off pleasant vibes. Buddhist monks walking in the area will have a calming effect on you while you shop Tibetan souvenirs from the Ghoom market.
What to Buy: Tibetan artefacts including singing bowls, prayer wheels, prayer flags, Thangkas (a form of Tibetan wall paintings), bags for women
Timings: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
4. Teesta BazaarNear the Kalimpong area and industrial town, Melli, Teesta Bazar is located along the banks of Teesta river. Surrounded by a vast expanse of natural beauty, tourists while on their way to Darjeeling, on the Siliguri - Gangtok highway, stop by this market. Handcraftedartefactss by the locals is sold at a varied price range. You can get reasonably priced items as well as costly ones that are prepared with great efforts and time. Treat yourself to piping hot momos while you enjoy one of the best places for shopping in Darjeeling.
What to Buy: Hunting equipment, footwear, wall paintings called 'Thangkas', copper wares, crockery, silverware and lanterns
Timings: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
5. Pashupati Nagar MarketNear the serene town of Mirik, Pashupati Nagar Market is enveloped in the calm of green hills. Another street market, it offers cheap bargains on imported goods from Thailand. Very close to the Nepal border, Pashupati Nagar Market will present some attractive natural sights that will double the shopping fun. One can also get electronic items at very affordable rates here. The vast range of cosmetic items on sale here is a treat for fashionistas.
What to Buy: Small souvenirs, woollen jackets, shawls and sweaters, Gorkha knives, books and Darjeeling Tea
Timings: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
6. The Mall RoadIf you visit Darjeeling and you miss out on visiting The Mall Road, well, you certainly missed out on the BEST place for shopping in Darjeeling. You can get anything and everything that you would want to shop here. Be sure of having enough time on your hands for visiting this market. You will lose track of time with the endless tempting options at The Mall Road. If you happen to be interested in hunting, then Mall Road will offer you some interesting items for your next adventure.
What to Buy: Fancy jewellery items, woollen cloths ranging from shawls, jackets, scarves and sweaters, Tibetan masks and other handmade souvenirs.
Timings: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
7. Chowk BazaarThe hub of activities for the locals, Chowk Bazar, also attracts tourists in large numbers. Fresh and green vegetables will make your soul light up. Quirky tea stalls serving freshly brewed tea is a must-try here. Bustling with people, the by-lanes of Chowk Bazar sell rugs, handwoven textiles, fur caps, brassware, brilliantly carved boxes, masks and silverware.
What to Buy: Exotic rugs, handwoven textiles, fur caps, brassware, brilliantly carved boxes, masks and silverware.
Timings: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
8. Tibetan Refugee Self Help CenterIt was established in the year 1959 to offer support to Tibetan refugees in the area. The Tibetan artisans have carved out a niche market for their products. While visiting the Tibetan Refugee Self Help Center, tourists can also see the artisans at work exhibiting their artistic skills. The variety of souvenirs that you can pick from here is simply vast. If you are hunting for something different to take back home from your trip, this place is a MUST visit for shopping in Darjeeling.
What to Buy: Tibetan carpets, woollen clothes, opulent woodwork decor, stylish footwear, wood carved items, paintings.
Timings: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
9. The Rink MallBeing a peaceful hill station, Darjeeling did not have any malls until recently. The Rink Mall, located at the starting point of The Mall Road is a one-stop solution to the tourists who prefer malls. While stores such as Big Bazaar and Reliance Trends offer designer wear, the massage parlour will provide a soothing experience, if you are tired from all the walking in the hills. Nathmull's Tea Room is a special attraction here for any tea lover. You can pick some of their best varieties of tea, attractive teapots and other souvenirs from the store. They also organize tea-tasting sessions which is a guaranteed unique experience.
Timings - 10:00 AM - 5:00 PMThe colourful markets of Darjeeling will lure you into their charming vibe. With each market offering an entirely unique shopping experience, the hill station is an amazing shopping destination. So, plan a trip to make some memories amidst the picturesque sights in a city with a magnificent history. Travel here in the months between October and March so that you can enjoy the pleasant weather, meander the streets and shop till you drop.