Is It a Good Time to Visit Seattle in JanuaryUsually the best time to visit Seattle is considered to be from September until October. But visiting Seattle in January proves to be the cherry on the cake. It is often less expensive and gives tourists relief from congestive crowds ruining their sightseeing experiences. Especially for visitors who prefer to enjoy the cold weather, visiting Seattle in January is the best decision.
Weather in Seattle in JanuaryThe weather stands out to be cold with frequent rain showers almost any time unexpectedly. Seattle experiences an average daily temperature from: 7°C (45°F) to approximately 2°C (36°F) in January. It usually sees up to 2 hours of sunshine per day throughout the month. With shorter days and even snowfalls, visiting this place in winters’ time proves to be a delightful experience every single time.
What to Carry When Visiting to Seattle in JanuaryDo carry the basic things like toiletries, water bottles, basic clothing, necessary eateries, medications, keys, electronic gadgets like phones, laptops, chargers, cameras, etc. Also rain jackets, adventure gear or touring gears, hiking poles (if you wish to go for hikes), rainproof boots, a daypack, lots of warm layers like cardigans, coats and woolen socks, a down jacket, sweaters, beanies, scarves, sneakers, yoga pants and a hat too are must. These are mandatory when visiting Seattle in winters to keep ourselves protected from the dynamic weather fluctuations taking place.
9 Amazing Things to Do in Seattle in January
1. Explore the Seattle WaterfrontThe Seattle Waterfront at the city center is the highlight of the whole city. It can be entered through Pikes Place Market, a very famous and usually busy area. The Waterfront offers travelers a chance to ride the Seattle Great Wheel or a guided cruise whatever they wish to. It also consists of numerous indoor tourist attractions like the Seattle Aquarium which has six major exhibits with animals worldwide.The waterfront becomes extra lively on special occasions like the annual Magic in the Market event and adds on exponentially to this place’s glory.
2. Visit Some Wonderful Seattle MuseumsSeattle is a complete hub of museums. Diversified museums are the soul to the city. Here is a list of some of the best go to museums while visiting Seattle:
-The Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP)
-The Museum of Flight
-Chihuly Garden and Glass
-The Seattle Pinball Museum
-Seattle Art Museum
-Pacific Science Center
3. Spend a Weekend at LeavenworthLeavenworth is located around 117 miles away from Seattle. It is a small town/village with the most beautiful scenic sights of nature, especially in winters. It has an extraordinary event known as Leavenworth Christmas Lighting Festivals which usually keep on occurring on December weekends and are definitely worth visiting. It also hosts a lot of outdoor adventure activities including snow tubing, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, flat biking and sledding.
4. Do Not Miss a Ferry Ride to the San Juan IslandsFriday Harbor is the best base camp to explore the San Juan Islands. There are a lot of winter activities on these islands like: hiking, spa visits, etc. which highly attract the tourists nearby. The afternoons are usually considered the best time to visit here.
5. Go for Skiing at Stevens PassStevens Pass is the best go to place for snow sports. Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing can be experienced at Stevens Pass Nordic Center. Beautiful lights glorify the slopes of Stevens Pass for around five nights a week. It comprises of mountains with snow covering peaks which multiply the craving to have snow fun for all the snow lovers.
Address: US Hwy 2, Summit Stevens Pass, Skykomish, WA 98288
Ticket price: The Epic Pass for the 2020-21 season will start at $979 for adults and the Epic Local Pass will start at $729.
6. Enjoy a Live ShowSeattle is home to soothing live music, theater, and special performances as well. This city values its culture and has spread out some of the most talented artists, including music bands worldwide.The city has numerous places to choose from in order to enjoy its live music. Some of the best venues to explore include: Neumos, Neptune Theatre, Paramount Theatre, Benaroya Hall and the 5th Avenue Theater.
7. Go HikingSeattle is all about mossy landscapes and mountains. The actual beauty of nature can be experienced very well in Seattle. This place offers a completely different meaning to natural scenery. To experience it, people prefer to go hiking in and out these mountains. Also, the Seattle Marathon is an annual event which takes place on the last Sunday of November after thanksgiving and is an international event that brings in thousands of runners to the Emerald City.
8. Visit Woodland Park ZooThis place is the best to enjoy a family-fun winter excursion in Seattle. Wild Lights is a month-long light show running throughout December showcasing over 3,75,000 energy-efficient LED lights which recreate wild animals and wild places in two and three dimensions.
9. Have an Exclusive Beach ExperienceLong walks and wildlife sightings along the beachside are at the top on the must do lists of winter days in Seattle. To have the best beach experience, directly visit Discovery Park- one of the largest beaches here and the West Point Lighthouse. Other spots to consider would be the Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park and Golden Gardens Park.
Tips to Travel Seattle in January:• Make sure to carry enough scarves, gloves or caps to prevent oneself from chilling cold weather.
• It is more than necessary to have an extra pair of shoes or boots ready for you.
• Make it a habit to reach the airport early to get rid of flight timing fluctuations.
• Since January is the off season, you get to have the best accommodations at the lowest prices to choose from, choose wisely and make the most of it.
• Always carry umbrellas, rain jackets and a hood handy to cope to unexpected rainfall.
Seattle serves a seamless experience in January. The beauty of the entire city can be adored to explicit levels due to winters. The city gives away some of the best experiences to visitors in their lifetime. Plan your trip to Seattle soon to make some of the most unforgettable memories with your loved ones.