Wellington being a service sector economy, it is the home to many malls that offer a wide variety of products of the top brands from across the world. From sprawling shopping malls to independents stores and boutiques selling artisanal goods, there's something for every shopaholic in Wellington!
1. Queensgate Shopping Centre
Queensgate Shopping Centre at Lower Hutt opened in 1986, it is one of the oldest malls in Wellington and it features 150 speciality stores. The fun fact about this mall is that this mall is made up of thirteen separate buildings. This centre is located in the Lower Hutt and is served by the Taxis, Buses that connects Upper Hutt, Waterloo, Interchange, Petone and Wellington City.
- The Melling railway station is also at a walkable distance.
- One can find various shopping and entertainment options like 2degrees, 4Seasons Nails, A to Z, Acquitions, Amazon Surf, Barkers, Bed Bath & Beyond Home Store, BNZ Bank, Boost, Juice, Burger King, Butlers Chocolate Cafe, City Chic, Clinique, Coffee Club, Colette by Colette Hayman, Cotton On, Cotton On Kids, Countdown, Foot Locker and many more.
- Some of the exclusives at Queensgate is the Community Library where storytelling and face painting events are held on the certain Wednesdays of the month from 10 am to 12 pm, the VMAX Theatre which also features the latest games from around the world, the car parking area has also been renovated with car parking spaces of about, 1,885.
- In special interests of the athletes, The Athlete's Foot is also open with MYFIT 3D technology to help you find your perfect shoes. There is also a Pet Care at The Warehouse. If you wish to spend time with your kids then head to Queensgate, Little Morning, on 12th February, on Wednesday and you can have a FREE coffee and ice cream at Shake Shed & Co.
- There are wheelchair facilities available at the mall for rent, there are parent rooms, kids play area, Stroller and Little Royals Carraige available for hire at $5 for single and $8 for double carriages. Little Royals Kids Club is also open in the special interest of the kids. The mall also provides you to book a personal styling session with the famous stylists, Lenaire Lander and Sally-ann.
2. Capital Gateway Centre
Next on the list is the Capital Gateway Centre, Thorndon Quay which is at a walkable distance from Lambton Quay and has different varieties of stores like Freedom, EZIBUY, Cotton On Kids, Sheridan, Sipriana Cafe, The Pet Centre, NZSale, Early Settler, Adairs, Bambini, Salon Villair, Pet Doctors, BabyCity which cater to the need of customers of all age groups.
- The mall has a fun Kid's Zone, Onsite Cafes, women fashion, homeware retailers, furniture and much more. Capital Gateway is known for its grand Christmas celebrations, where Santa makes regular appearances at Capita Gateway throughout the month of December talking to kids and giving them lollies.
- Easter at Capital Gateway is also celebrated with the same cheer and enthusiasm, where the Easter Bunny makes appearances throughout the weeks of Easter and spend time with the children on-site, talking ad distributing chocolates to them.
- The mall is equipped with a parking space which is free for the shoppers with a time limit of 90 minutes. There is a lost and found centre at Sipriana Cafe. The mall is within walkable distance from the Wellington Central Railway Station. Buses are also available that stop at the doorstep of the mall.
- The centre is open from 9 am to 5.30 pm from Mondays to Fridays, and from 10 am to 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. The mall gets really crowded during the afternoon time from 11 am to 4 pm. The mall is also close to the other attractions of Wellington, like the Old St Paul's, New Zealand Parliament, Bolton Street Cemetery.
3. Capital on The Quay
Capital on the Quay, is a mall located at Lambton Quay, is famous for its access from the terrace to Lambton Quay via Woodward St, Mason Lane, James Cook hotel, Novotel.
- The mall is open from 7 am to 7 pm on Mondays to Fridays and from 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. There are many good restaurants at Capital on The Quay like Verve, Relish, Sierra Cafe, The Chocolate Cake Company, and many more.
- The top British brand, Topshop is to open its second store in New Zealand at Capital On The Quay. The Centre City Plaza at Lower Hutt, where Wellington, Lantern Festival, Light Up Wellington, is held on 14th around 5 pm and 15 February around at 12 pm.
- The mall has a wheelchair accessible entrance and customer car parking area. There are many buses with stops at the Centre City Plaza. You can also a taxi or any other public transport to reach the mall.
4. Cuba Mall
- Cuba Mall located between Ghuznee Street and Dixon Street, and has many stores like the Pegasus Books, Graphic Bookstore, Stirling Sports, Abstract Designs, EB Games, Glassons, Cotton On, Bank Shoes, VAPO Wellington Vape Shop, Hallenstein Brothers.
- The mall is easily accessible by foot, by bicycle or by any public transport like bus or via taxi.
- The mall has a Micheal Flower Centre, Courtenay Place, TSB Bank Arena. The centre of the mall is the iconic Bucket Fountain which is one of the most famous landmarks of the city.
- The mall is open from 9 am to 6 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays and from 9 am to 8 pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
5. Johnsonville Shopping Centre
Next up is the Johnsonville shopping Centre, at state Highway 1, offers a fun shopping experience with stores like 2degrees, Opshop, Repair, Richards Motorcycle Services, Mister Mint, Mobile Solutions, Marieka's, Fly NZ, BNZ, ANZ, ASB, 1 Stop, Flight Centre, Countdown, Filipino Mart and many more.
- There are plenty of top restaurants and cafes, such as the Capital Kebabs, Chia-Chop-Chop, Joe's, Johnsonville Dairy, Magic Wok, Muffin Break, Nada Bakery, Pho Bac, Super Liquor, Tank Spice Traders, St Pierre's Sushi Of Japan, Pizza Hut, Shake She & Co, Umi Sushi, Zampelles.
- The centre also has Victory Massage Specsavers, TJ'S Barbers, The Salon Club, Shampoo Plus, Just cuts, Life, Enjoy Massage, Health 2000, City Fitness, Caci, Vivo and many more options to enjoy a relaxing experience.
- The centre conducts Toddler Tuesday from 10 am to 12 pm and Family Fundays during the last Sundays of every month from 10 am to 12 pm.
- The mall also has a Community Centre, Johnsonville Library, and Keith Spry Pool. The Centre is open from 7 am to 10 pm from Monday-Sunday. The amenities available are the Kids' Play Area, Parent's room and changing facilities, and free car parking.
6. North City Centre
- North City Centre, at Porirua, is the next shopping option at Wellington with branded stores like Farmers, Kmart, Reading Cinemas, 2Degrees, 4Seasons Nailes & Beauty, Breo Butler's Chocolate Cafe, The Coffee Club, Bargain City, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Body Shop, ASB Bank, Autograph, The Baby Factory, Acquisitions and Amazon and many more fashion, fun and furniture stores.
- The centre is open from 10 am to 9 pm from Mondays to Sundays. Free car parking is available for 3 to 4 hours. For 3 hours parking head to the main car park on Titahi Bya Road and for 4 hours, parking is available at Hartham place or Lyttelton Ave.
- For exceeding the parking time limit a fine of $65 may be charged. The amenities at the centre are Parent's room, lost and found the centre, FREE wifi, Kiddie Kab Hire, breastfeeding rooms, wheelchairs and pushchairs are also available.
7. Wainuiomata Shopping Centre
- Wainuiomata Shopping Centre in Lower Hutt, is a mall where you can get the branded products at a highly discounted price. The mall is open from 7.30 am to 6.30 pm on all 7 days with free car parks, lost and found centre at the Mall Management Office and ATM facilities.
- The mall has more than 30 top fashion brands, Bendon, DECJUBA, Max, Brakers, Rodd & Gunn, Scriber & Marks, Adidas, Bonds, Cheapskates, Converse, Cotton On, Cotton On kids, Dwights Outdoor, Gordon's, Lifestyle Sports, Lower, New Balance, Puma, Trends fashions, URBANUS, Salon Club, Moblic, Chipmunks Playland Reggio Bambini, Gloria Jean, Chia Sushi and Under Armour. You can reach this mall via any public transport or local cab.