Also known as The Venice of the East, Melaka (formally known as Malacca) is a state in Malaysia, located next to the Strait of Malacca. Although a Muslim majority country, it permits the selling of alcohol to non-Muslim. They respect and recognize the rights of non-Muslims living in Malaysia. The same extends to Melaka as well.
However, a few important things to remember are:
The legal drinking age for Malaysia is 21 years and above.
The legal limit for drinking alcohol while driving is Malaysia is 80 milligrams per decilitre or 100 milliliters.
Bottled and canned beers are exempted from a license that is required to serve or sell tap/draft beers, liquor, and spirits in Malaysia.
So after comprehensive research, we've curated a list of the best beer brands available in Melaka:
Carlsberg is one of the two most famous beer brands found in Melaka. 5 out of the 18 beers served by Carlsberg find their origin in Malaysia itself. These are – Carlsberg Smooth Draught, Connor’s Stout Porter, Nutrimalt, Danish Royal Scout, and Jolly Shandy. What makes Carlsberg truly special is the use of pure yeast and maintenance of pH level. There is no doubt about the competition it gives to the other beer brands in the world taking into consideration the fact that Carlsberg has strived for more than 170 years, producing one of the best beers keeping in mind the sustainability goal and giving back to society. With all this stated, Carlsberg Beers surely live up to their motto- Brewing For A Better Today And Tomorrow.
Heineken is the second-largest famous beer brand in Malaysia, giving tough competition to Carlsberg. Unlike Carlsberg that produces different versions of the beer, you will only find one single version of Heineken in Malaysia. Heineken also has a non-alcoholic label in its bag called Heineken 0.0. Heineken's green bottle packaging is quite noticeable from a distance and hasn’t changed since 1884! It has been brewed for over 150 years now and that clearly shows. It now brews more than 300 beers and ciders around the globe. Truly international, isn’t it?
3. GuinnessOne of the most popular and consumed Irish beer around the globe, its popularity has been on a rise in Malaysia with every passing day. Guinness brews a variety ranging right from draught, lager to stout, and classic. Striking a perfect balance between calories and alcohol by volume, the classic Guinness is one of the most preferred brews amidst its variations and can be found in most of the bars.
4. KilkennyAnother Irish beer, Kilkenny is preferred by those who like heavier and darker beers. It is well-known for its distinctive features, the smooth amber color, and a creamy head. It is available in draught, bottles, and cans.
5. BintangA pale lager, gold in color, it has malt and hops flavor to it. It is the localized version of Heineken and the red star on its bottle is a reminiscence of the same! Bintang originally hails from Java, Indonesia but is one of the popular beers in Malaysia.
6. AngkorNamed after the iconic Khmer Angkor temples near Siem Reap, Angkor is a Cambodian beer, brewed in Cambrew Brewery in Sihanoukville along with Klang Beer, Bayon Beer, Angkor Extra Stout, and Black Panther Premium Stout. The beer has a somewhat distinct hoppy presence and also contains relatively high alcohol content.
7. TigerA part of the Heineken family, Tiger Beer is a brand of beer brewed in Singapore. It is amongst the top 10 most valuable brands in Singapore, and also Singapore’s first locally brewed beer. A bottled pale lager and Heineken Asia Pacific’s flagship brand, it is available in more than 60 countries globally. The brewery produces several different varieties of brewery namely Tiger Beer, Tiger Crystal, Tiger White, Tiger Black, and Tiger Radler Lemon. The smoothness of the beer makes it a popular choice amongst the people in Melaka.
8. Corona ExtraA pale lager produced by a Mexican brewery, Corona Extra is often served with a slice of lemon to add tartness and flavor to the beer. It is one of the most famous beers around the world, especially in the U.S. It is available in a variety of packaging. The ‘extra’ in its name stands for extra bitterness. It’s a light beer which when paired with lemon, gives you the perfect taste of summers at the beach!
9. Brooklyn East IPAAn English-style IPA brewed by Brooklyn Brewery, this ale pours a crystal clear marigold, with a faint but pleasant aroma with a scent of floral hops. It has a nice feel to it, a well-balanced palate with a nice burst of hops. Brooklyn East IPA can be a nice option when you’re in the mood for a hoppy brew. When paired with spicy food that the Malaysian’s have, it forms a perfect combination.
10. BeerlaoBeerlao is the generic name given to the range of beers produced by the Lao Brewing Company (LBC) of Laos. It also has variants like Beerlao Light, Beerlao Dark, and Beerlao Gold. Launched in 1973, it is brewed from the best local rice and high-quality overseas malt giving it a unique taste.
Best Bars to Find Beer in Melaka
1. Reggae On The RiverLocated along the Melaka riverside since 2009, this bar has an amazing ambiance with reggae music playing in the background, friendly bartenders, and cheap drinks. Its location makes it the perfect spot for conversations over a bottle of beer or just a place to chill. It’s also a great spot to meet travelers and is also known to have party evenings.
Location: 88 Lorong Hang Jebat, Melaka, Melaka, 75200, Malaysia
2. Me & Mrs. Jones CaféA fantastic spot listen to live music and jam the night away, Me & Mrs. Jones Café is the perfect place to lazily chill around with friends and family over drinks. What sets this place apart from the rest is the fact that it is a family-run place and you are likely to see its owner get on the stage on most of the nights.
Location: 3 Jalan Hang Kasturi, Melaka, Melaka, 75200, Malaysia
3. Sid’s PubAn award-winning chain of neighborhood pubs, this is Kuala Lumpur’s favorite chain of British- style neighborhood pubs. Its first outlet opened in 2007, and ever since, it is gaining popularity among the people which has led to the opening of several other outlets. It provides a plethora of options to choose from within alcohol and beers.
Location: 2 Lorong Hang Jebat, Melaka, Melaka, 75200, Malaysia
4. BarLacca LoungeA local bar with a karaoke system and an open-air space behind the bar with a nice view of the Melaka river, it’s the perfect place to chill and relax over a bottle of beer. They cater to a wide range of drinks and also organize a number of parties.
Location: Jalan Kampung Hulu, Melaka, Melaka, 75200, Malaysia
5. Flying Dutchman Bar & BistroA great bar with an open concept, this place provides delicious food and beer at cheap prices. The mood here is upbeat and the music is loud, thus setting the mood for a perfect evening. What works in its favor is that it is a sports bar! It is also the first-ever Ship-theme-based bar and bistro in Melaka. Cool, isn’t it?
Location: 16 Jalan KLJ 1, TAMAN KOTA LAKSAMANA JAYA Melaka, Melaka, 75000, Malaysia
6. The Library MalaccaHaving Malaysia’s largest selection of both imported and locally brewed beers and a variety of topmost premium liquor, this place has a tantalizing menu to offer along with screenings. It’s a one-stop place to chill and hangout. They constantly come up with new promotions and offers on drinks and have recently given their menu a makeover! This is the perfect spot for football fans, who can participate in a Football viewing party, and watch the match over a few chilled beer glasses more than enough to create the buzz and quench the thirst, giving birth to a memorable experience.
Location: 105 Jalan Merdeka, Bandar Hilir Melaka, Melaka, 75000, Malaysia
7. Alto Sky LoungePerfect place for some evening romance, Alto Sky Lounge houses an indoor elegant dining restaurant and an outdoor sky lounge and bar. The indoor dining restaurant serves European cuisine with a twist with carefully selected ingredients and exploding flavors. Its outdoor sky lounge offers its guest a spectacular and breathtaking view of Melaka’s coastal township. Imagine the experience of slowly sipping on your deftly crafted brews and drinks while taking in the mesmerizing backdrop. A must-experience feeling, isn’t it?
Location: Taman Costa Mahkota Melaka, Melaka, 75000, Malaysia
8. Mixx ClubA perfect mix of music, dance, and drinks, Mixx Club is a complete entertainment hub established in 2011. Established in the heart of the historic city of Melaka, this place is one of the Superclub in setting the global club culture in Malaysia, bringing in the best international DJ’s of the world to Melaka.
Location: Lot S19, Jalan Merdeka, Plaza Mahkota, 75000 MelakaBeer is a perfect companion when you want to chill and hang out or even just catch-up. Melaka has some of the best bars which provide different varieties of beers to choose from. The beer scene in Melaka in particular, and in Malaysia as a whole, is consistently growing with new brands entering the market and competing with the well-established ones, creating a brand name for themselves. Some of these brands have completely changed the preferences of the locals and earned themselves some loyal drinkers.
Here’s to some easy-breezy conversations and moments over a beer! :)