Here is the list of 20 must-have street food experiences of Melaka:
1. Chicken Rice Ball at Chung WahOperating for more than 50 years, the most popular outlet in Malacca, Chung Wah is a Hainanese chicken rice shop that is found crowded on the weekends. Their most celebrated dish is the chicken rice balls and super soft chicken served with their homemade chilli sauce!
Opening Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: 18, Jalan Hang Jebat, Malacca
Telephone: +606 286 0121
Cost: RM 11 – RM 15
2. Cendol at Aunty KohThough a bit hard to find, this compact food stall located inside the Nyonya house compound in Bukit Rambai, serves healthy and hygienic dishes specially prepared by Aunty Koh herself. Prepared with ice, coconut milk, palm sugar, rice flour jelly, and a pinch of ginger, this fresh and creamy dessert has captured thousands of hearts that pass through this town. Visit this place to have the richest bowl of Nyonya cendol in Malacca.
Opening Hours: 12 AM to 2 PM
Location: Jalan Batang Tiga, Kampung Bukit Rambai, Malacca
Telephone: +60 16-366 2637
Cost: RM 1- RM 5
3. Noodles at Hoo KhiewThis is a tiny family-run food stall in Melaka that serves crispy cracker noodle varieties to its customers. You can choose from three main varieties namely Koay Teow (flat rice noodles) which is the most preferred, Bee Hoon (rice vermicelli), and yellow noodles. The key feature is their topping which consists of crunchy fried cracker prawns served with bouncy fishballs! Another must-have is a Cili Padi dipped in hot soy sauce.
Opening Hours: 6 AM to 1 PM
Location: 345, Jalan Tengkera, Melaka
Telephone: +60 6-284 3803
4. Roasted Coffees at Calanthe Art CaféThis is the only popular café in Malacca which combines and serves roasted coffee varieties from 13 states of Malaysia, some of them being Coffea Arabica, Coffea Robusta, and Coffea Liberica. You can savour their other popular dishes that include Nyonya Laksa, Sweet Sago, Kuih Batik, and Golden rice.
Opening Hours: 9 AM to 10 PM (Closed on Thursdays)
Location: 11, Jalan Hang Kasturi, Malacca
Telephone: +606 292 2960
Email: [email protected]
5. Dimsums at Low Yong Moh RestaurantA family-run restaurant, this place is known for its tasty old school dim sums, which has become a popular street food in Malacca. This compact restaurant serves typical dim sums with sufficient varieties such as Custard Bun or Liu Sha Bao, Char Siew Bun, and glutinous rice. Other dishes include steam pork ribs, pork buns, pork porridge, steam bean curd roll, and many more. Visit this place for a mouthful of tasty and greasy dishes!
Opening Hours: 5:30 AM to 1 PM (Closed on Tuesdays)
Location: 32, Jalan Tukang Emas, Malacca
Telephone: +60 6-282 1235
Cost: RM 1- RM 5
6. Nasi Lemak at Restaurant Ming HuatThis mouth-savouring low-cost restaurant serves Asian and Malaysian cuisines to its locals and tourists. Known as the national dish of Malaysia, their ‘Nasi Lemak’ (fragrant rice cooked with coconut milk and pandan leaf) is a popular filling that is prepared with the influence of Nyonya style that adds flavor and spice to the dish. Do taste this dish served with the typical Malaccan sambal gravy and spices.
Opening Hours: 7:30 AM to 11 PM, (Closed on Fridays)
Location: Jalan Ujong Pasir, Melaka
Telephone: +60 6-284 2642
7. Kankung Fried Rice at Geographer CafeThis eatery is located right in the heart of Chinatown, Malacca, is quite popular among backpackers and locals. With their signature dish being ‘Nasi Lemak, and ‘Kankung fried rice’, they serve plenty of other healthy Asian fusion food along with a choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Visit this place to chill and enjoy the local foods in the city center!
Opening Hours: 10:00 AM – 1:00 AM (Monday to Friday), 9:00 AM – 1:00 AM (Saturday to Sunday)
Location: 83, Jalan Hang Jebat, Malacca
Telephone: +606-281 6813
Email: [email protected]
Cost: RM 4 – RM 20
8. Assam Gulai Fish at Chuen How RestaurantThis ‘chap fan’ (economy rice) restaurant that sells packed rice for local families and tourists, has a decent Kopitiam styled seating ambience. Though it is quite outside the city centre, this place is a must-go for all those craving local delights. The recommended signature dish here is ‘char siew’, their uniquely roasted BBQ Pork, Roast Pork, and ‘Assam Gulai Fish’ served with economy rice!
Opening Hours: 10 AM – 10 PM (Closed on Thursdays)
Location: 347, Jalan Merak, Taman Melaka Baru, Malacca
Telephone: +60 12-371 1887
9. Satay Celup at Capitol Satay CelupServing one of the famous street foods of Melaka - the Satay Celup, this restaurant is found crowded almost at all times. It follows a self-service pattern where you can choose from a variety of 80 different skewered seafood and vegetables from the refrigerated counters, guided by a waitress. Other options include tiger prawns, scallops, and abalones! Complete your trip to Malacca by savouring the hot Satay Celup served with aromatic peanut sauce!
Opening Hours: 4 PM to 1 AM (Wednesday – Monday)
Location: 41, Lorong Bukit Cina, Bandar Hilir, Malacca
Telephone: +606 283 5508
Cost: RM 1 – RM 9
10. Pie Tee at Nancy’s KitchenSay the word ‘Peranakan food’, and you will be right at the doorstep of Nancy’s Kitchen! This family-run Nyonya restaurant serves authentic Peranakan dishes some of which include Pie Tee and Ayam Buah Keluak served with duck and salted juice which has been passed down for three generations.
Opening Hours: 11 AM to 7 PM (Closed on Tuesdays)
Location: No 13, Jalan KL 3/8, Taman Kota Laksamana, Malacca
Telephone: +60 6-283 6099
11. Duck Drumstick Noodle at Tengkera Duck NoodlesTry the local Malacca famous duck drumstick noodle, which is a crunchy savory dish combined with bee hoon to absorb the robust gravy and served with spicy herbals. You can also taste their crispy pig ear with gelatinous skin along with braised duck meat, pork slices, and eggs!
Opening Hours: 7 AM to 1:30 PM (Closed on Tuesdays)
Location: Jalan Kota Laksamana, Malacca
12. Putu Piring at Putu Piring TengkeraMade from rice flour, stuffed with gula Melaka (palm sugar) filling, and coated with grated coconut, the popular Putu Piring is another known Malacca street food served by a friendly couple running this restaurant. Visit this place and take a bite of this fresh, hot, and soft delicious dish with a sweet-salty touch!
Opening Hours: 6 PM to 10 PM (Closed on Sundays)
Location: 252, Jalan Tengkera, Malacca
Telephone: +60 6-282 1505
13. Pandan Pancake at The Daily Fix CaféRooted in family and friendships, this café entertains and attracts hundreds of new customers every weekend. They serve fabulous food and specialize in making pancakes! Their must-haves include local pandan pancakes and smoked duck salad!
Opening Hours: 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Location: 55, Jalan Hang Jebat, Melaka
Telephone: +60 13-290 6855
Email: [email protected]
14. Satay at Sun May Hiong Satay HouseThis old and renowned embellishment in Malacca serves majorly Satays to its visitors. Try their pork, chicken, pork liver, and port intestine Satays to starting at just 0.01 RM per stick!
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 6 PM (Closed on Tuesdays)
Location: 50/52, Jalan Kota Laksamana, Malacca
Telephone: 60 6-281 7281
Cost: RM 1 – RM 10
15. Ikan Cili Garam at Restoran Aunty LeeEstablished in 1997, Aunty Lee’s signature dish Ikan Cili Garam (salted chili fish), topped with spicy chili paste has been the most sought after street food in Melaka along with Udang Lemak Nenas (prawns dipped in pineapple and coconut gravy)! Some of the other savories include Mutton curry, Ayam PongTeh, Bendi Ulam, and Cincalok Omelette.
Opening Hours: 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM; 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Location: 385, Jalan Ujong Pasir, Taman Sinn, Malacca
Telephone: +60 6-283 1009
Cost: RM 10 – RM 30
16. Asam Laksa at Jonker 88One of the popular local fares in town, Jonker 88 offer some great desserts and local cuisines. With a vintage style and historical theme, this place consists of different sections for desserts and food, both of which are self-served. A Must-have is their ‘Assam Laksa’ and ‘Chendol’! Be cautious as this place gets crowded too often!
Opening Hours: 9:30 AM to 6 PM
Location: 88, Jalan Hang Jebat, Melaka
Telephone: +60 19-397 5665
17. Cheesy Prawn Vermicelli at Restoran Tong ShengKnown to be extremely crowded at peak hours, this restaurant has been a pioneer in serving majorly seafood delicacies in Malacca with their signature authentic dish being Cheesy prawn served with rice vermicelli! Other dishes include fried fresh squid with garlic, salted egg yolk bean curd, and Fresh milk crabs. It is a Zi char style restaurant with reasonable prices and excellent varieties of seafood.
Opening Hours: 5:30 PM to 11 PM
Location: No. 377 & 378, Taman Melaka Raya, Melaka
Telephone: +60 16-776 7811
18. Asam Pedas at Asam Pedas Pak ManThough there are plenty of outlets serving Asam Pedas, this food stall offers the best and affordable Asam Pedas in Melaka. Taste this Malay sour and spicy fish stew served with their handmade spices and chillies.
Opening Hours: 7 AM to 9 PM (Closed on Wednesday)
Location: No 51, Jalan Knmp 2a, Kompleks Niaga Melaka Perdana, Melaka
Telephone: +60 12-346 2924
19. Crispy Fried Oyster at Oh Chien - Bungya Raya Food CourtLocated at ‘Medan Makan Boon Leong’ food court, this food stall is famous for its crispy fried oyster business! Taste their Malacca famous fried oyster omellete at just RM 6!
Opening Hours: 7:30 AM to 11 PM (Closed on Tuesdays)
Location: 70, Jalan Bunga Raya, Kampung Jawa, Malacca
20. Noodles at Hassan’s Mee GorengManaged by Pak Cik Hassan, this place serves a variety of noodles for breakfast cooked with bean sprouts, yellow noodles, and homemade special recipes and spices! Check out this place that has been serving noodles for over 5 decades.
Opening Hours: 7:30 AM to 10:45 AMDo not miss out on those delectable and savoury street foods of Melaka!
Location: 90, Jalan Tengkera, 75200 Melaka