Nearest Airport: Sharjah International Airport
"The Creek of Two Jaws"
Khor Fakkan Tourism
Situated on the eastern coast of the United Arab Emirates, the city of Khor Fakkan is an exclave of the Emirate of Sharjah and is nothing less than a paradise on Earth. With the Khor Fakkan Beach present on the banks of Gulf of Oman and the Bay of Khor Fakkan, the city is geographically surrounded by the Hajar Mountains on its western end.
Beaches, mountains, historic castles, museums and mosques - Khor Fakkan has plenty of attractions for you to visit during your stay there. Don’t forget to visit the famous Al Wurrayah Falls and the Shark Island. Khor Fakkan is also the second largest coastal city present on UAE’s eastern coast only after Fujairah. The city even has its own natural deep–sea port which is another hotspot for tourists.
Download Khor Fakkan PDF Guide
Free . Works Offline . Share Anywhere
More on Khor Fakkan
Places to Visit
During your trip to Khor Fakkan, you may plan to visit the below mentioned places to explore and capture the true beauty of this coastal city:
1. Khor Fakkan Beach Situated on the northeastern end of the city, Khor Fakkan beach is famous for the sunrises and sunsets across the sea. Be it snorkelling, scuba diving, jet skiing or any other water sport - the Khor Fakkan Beach offers fun-filled and thrilling activities. If you wish to relax on the beach, you may simply lie down on the soft sand and enjoy the warmth of the sun, or gather a team and play beach sports like volleyball.
2. Salem Al Mutawa Mosque Built around 200 Years ago, the mosque showcases unique Arabic style architecture and interiors, making it a tourist spot for the visitors. The Salem Al Mutawa Mosque is worth visiting during the evening hours as the view of the mosque lit by different coloured lights is truly an amazing sight.
3. Remains of Portuguese Fort Constructed by Portuguese Captain Gaspar Leite around 1635 AD, the ruins of the Three–sided Fort that is located close to Khor Fakkan beach is another hotspot. Even today, signboards depicting the architecture and history of the fort can be found, providing a detailed insight into the historical events witnessed by the fort as well as the city of Khor Fakkan.
4. Al Metalaa Park Amidst the sands of the desert and the rocky terrains of the Western Hajar Mountains, it is quite bizarre to find a park like Al Metalaa Park which is entitled with lush green gardens and grassy lawns. The Al Metalaa Park also has a lot of swings and rides for kids to enjoy, making it an ideal place to visit if you are travelling along with your children.
5. Shark Island Situated slightly away from the Khor Fakkan Port, the Shark Island is present on the southeastern end of the Khor Fakkan Bay. The place is an ideal location for you to give a hand at activities such as snorkelling, windsurfing, jet skiing, boat cruising and deep sea diving with your friends and family.
Things To Do
1. Snorkelling This is one of the most preferred activities in Khor Fakkan not only by tourists but by the locals as well. For snorkelling, you may either visit the Khor Fakkan Beach or the Shark Island. However, you need to check with the local operators on the beach about the prices for snorkelling.
2. Sea Diving You may also opt for sea diving sessions at the Shark Island to enjoy some quality time with some of the majestic animals of the marine world.
3. Jet Skiing For Jet Skiing, you can head to either Khor Fakkan beach or Shark Island beach, where you can book tickets at the beach shacks.
4. Windsurfing Available only at Shark Island, you may book your experiences at either of the beach shacks at Khor Fakkan.
Khor Fakkan is one of those cities of the United Arab Emirates which has found a place in many historical documents and incidents. Arabs, Venetians, Dutch, Persian and Portuguese – everyone had desired to conquer this coastal city due to its location and connectivity with the Indian Ocean via waterways.
It is even believed that the Portuguese built forts on the northern and southern ends of Khor Fakkan city which eventually became ruins by the mid–17th Century AD. One of the reasons attributed to this is the invasion of Khor Fakkan by the Persian Navy in collaboration with the Dutch during the Omani Civil War. The city, which had been colonized by the Portuguese, was occupied by the Persians and later on in the mid–1760s by the Sheikh of Al Qasimi, the then ruling family of Sharjah. Since then, Khor Fakkan city has belonged to the Emirate of Sharjah despite being situated close to the Fujairah city.
The city of Khor Fakkan lies around 135 Km east of Sharjah city, and the only mode of transportation to reach the place from Sharjah is by a private car or taxi. For this, you need to travel along the Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Road and travel towards Maliha Road/Route S116.
From Sharjah: Once you have reached Route S116, you need to travel along with it until you reach the Yabsa Bypass Road (near sign boards for Route S89). A little bit ahead, you will need to turn towards Route E99 to reach the Khor Fakkan City. If the traffic conditions are normal, it will usually take around 90 minutes to reach the city from Sharjah.
From Dubai: You need to travel along Ras Al Khor Road / Route E44 till you reach the Sharjah–Kalba Road / Route E102. From there, you need to travel on Route E102 to reach the Yabsa Bypass Road. From there, the route for Khor Fakkan city is the same as that from Sharjah. Dubai lies around 153 Km west of Khor Fakkan, and it usually takes around 2 Hours to reach Khor Fakkan from Dubai.
Ask a Question
Ask a question from the travellers who have experience.