The Fort was constructed in 1629 in Chania to protect the Venetian harbour entrance from raiders. The building was used as the barracks of the Turkish army in Chania.
Theæaddition of Crete with Greece in 1913 was first celebrated at Firkas Fortress. The Turkish flag wasæbrought down and the flag of Greece was raised in its place, whereæit waves proudly ever since.æThe fortress has a panoramic view ofæChania and offers a photo opportunity for photographers. Until the previous century, under Firkas Fortress was the ñKerkelosî, the great iron ring whose one end was connected to harbour while other was attached to the lighthouse.
€ 166 onwards
€ 36 onwards
€ 80 onwards