Theatres in ChristchurchThe famed theatres in Christchurch offer amazing live entertainment throughout the year. Visit any one of them to make the most out of your night in the artsy city of New Zealand.
1) The Court TheatreCurrently the biggest theatre company in the country, The Court Theatre sells a total of over one hundred and fifty thousand tickets each year. The different seasons at The Court Theatre like The Forge, The Kids Shows and The Meridian Energy allows you to catch any of the on-site produced fine theatrical works.
Founded in 1971, The Court Theatre is dedicated to championing local artists.
Location: Bernard Street, Christchurch 80140, New Zealand
2) Isaac Theatre RoyalEstablished for over hundred years, Isaac Theatre Royal in Christchurch is a preferred choice for enjoying live theatre, musicals, ballet, comedy and many other performing arts. The seating capacity of the theatrical venue exceeds one thousand two hundred and sixty six. Marveled for its architecture, Isaac Theatre Royal was restored and reopened on the end of 2014 after it incurred some serious damage from the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.
Location: 145 Gloucester Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
Night Clubs in ChristchurchThe awesome night clubs are a substantial part of the dynamic nightlife in Christchurch. The following night clubs are sure to spice up your night at Christchurch.
1) Déjà vu Nightclub and VIP LoungeThe eleven arcade machines and nine VIP booths at Déjà vu Nightclub adds to a vibrant nightlife experience. Excellent DJs arrive every Friday and Saturday night. The amazing customer service of the club owes to their twenty-year-long experience from operating in different parts of the world.
They have themed nights where occasionally special events are also hosted.
Location: 32 Allen Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
2) Chic Restaurant & BarFunctioning for more than sixteen years in Christchurch, Chic is a fine Persian restaurant, a bar and a popular nightclub at the same time. Although an Iranian-owned establishment which focuses on Persian cuisine, its menu has plenty of crossovers. The bar serves a range of signature cocktails.
Karaoke nights happen on Sundays and clubbing and dancing takes place from 10 pm onwards on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Location: 64 Manchester Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
3) Fox & FerretA modern gastro pub near Riccarton’s own Westfield Mall to grab mouthwatering lunches, snacks and desserts, Fox and Ferret unbelievably transforms into an out and out party place late into the night. A variety of events like sports, DJs and music bands are hosted in Fox and Ferret on the first couple nights of each weekend.
The finest ales and the Stonegrill menu are also part of the dining experience in Fox and Ferret.
Location: Fox & Ferret, 28 Rotherham Street, Riccarton, Christchurch 8041, New Zealand
4) CruzThe city’s only gay bar and nightclub, Cruz has been significant in the nightlife in Christchurch for over thirty years. It was refurbished and reopened in 2013 and has a busy dance floor currently well-equipped with disco lights and latest sound systems. Thursday to Saturday nights at Cruz has live DJs playing most of the popular tracks from the 1970s to this day.
For events after 10 pm, a cover charge starting from 5$ is applied.
Timings: Wed – Sun, 8 pm – 4.30 am
Location: Cruz, 77 Victoria Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
5) The Dirty LandWith delicious Mexican snacks, stunning cocktails, live DJ performances and fantastic service, The Dirty Land is an amazing place to spend a rocking night with your friends. DJ nights usually happen on Friday and Saturday in The Dirty Land. They have a soothing décor and a collection of fine wines and luxury champagnes.
Location: The Dirty Land, 131 Victoria Street, Christchurch Central, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
Cinemas in ChristchurchIf you are not in a mood for partying, pep up the night by watching a movie from one of the stylish cinemas in Christchurch.
1) Deluxe CinemasAlong with the world class cinema viewing experience and delish food from their café, Deluxe cinemas offer a wine bar. Have a cozy movie-night in the luxurious seating facility while relishing the cheese platters, rolled ice creams and the local craft beers.
Location: 3 Garlands Road Shop 24, The Tannery, Christchurch 8023, New Zealand
2) Alice CinemasA boutique cinema and a DVD rental store at the same time, Alice Cinemas brings loads of nostalgia into the nightlife in Christchurch. Their first cinema ‘the Egyptian’ and the Wonderland-themed second one exhibit all kinds of films. To rent arthouse, documentary, retro and foreign films, try their DVD rental store.
Location: Alice in Videoland, 209 Tuam Street, Christchurch Central, New Zealand
Late-Night Art Gallery TourTake a late-night tour of the Christchurch Art Gallery held on Wednesdays each week. The tour is completely free and lasts for around fifty minutes.
Location: Montreal Street, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
Timings: Wed 7.30pm – 9pm
Maori PerformancesTake a Ko Tane tour at the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve to closely experience the Maori culture. Traditional Maori songs, famous kappa haka performances and four-course meal cooked in Hangi style are included in the Willowbank dinner and Maori concert.
Location: Willowbank Reserve, 60 Hussey Road, Harewood, Christchurch, New Zealand
Murder Mystery DinnerHugely entertaining for those who arrive in a large group, the murder mystery dinner at Feryymead Heritage Park is an excellent interactive theatre experience in Christchurch. Wear a costume and find out who is behind the murder inside the Victorian-era themed park.
Location: 50 Ferrymead Park Drive, Ferrymead, Christchurch 8022, New Zealand
Dinner at TramwayEnjoy the finest cuisine and drinks along with the major sights of Christchurch city passing by outside the window, from the only tramway restaurant in New Zealand. Ideal for celebrations and romantic date nights, this serene ride begins and ends at Cathedral junction. It lasts for a little more than two hours.
This tram boasts of air-conditioning, thirty six seats and laudable service. The menu of the restaurant constantly gets updated and consists of a great collection of wines and ales.
Location: 109 Worcester Street, Christchurch central, Christchurch 8011, New ZealandHave we mentioned everything interesting about the nightlife in Christchurch? Let us know in the comments!