Ashikaga Takauji founded Tenryu-ji in 1339 to settle the spirit of Emperor Go-Daigo, and the Sogenchi pond garden laid out by its first abbot Muso Soseki became the first site in Japan designated a Special Place of Scenic Beauty. The path circles the water and uses the Arashiyama hills as its far wall, so the garden reads as much larger than its walls allow. UNESCO added the temple to the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto in 1994. Buildings and gardens open 8:30 to 17:00.
Four things justify walking in rather than passing by on the Arashiyama circuit: the garden itself, unchanged in layout for close to seven centuries; the UNESCO listing, which the bamboo grove and the street outside do not carry; the cloud dragon on the Dharma Hall ceiling, painted by Kayama Matazo in 1997 across 12.6 by 10.6 metres so that it appears to face you from any position; and Shigetsu, the temple shojin-ryori restaurant. Garden entry is 500 yen, buildings another 300, the dragon hall 500 on weekends and in special seasons.