Kodai-ji is a Rinzai Zen temple in Kyoto's Higashiyama district, built in 1606 by Kita no Mandokoro (Nene), widow of warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi, as a memorial to him, with funding from Tokugawa Ieyasu. The grounds include a karesansui rock garden and a pond garden centered on the Kaizando memorial hall, which enshrines wooden statues of Nene and Hideyoshi. A hillside mausoleum decorated with Kodaiji maki-e lacquerwork and two teahouses, one attributed to tea master Sen no Rikyu, overlook a bamboo grove path leading back to the main halls.
Kodai-ji sits between Yasaka Shrine and Kiyomizudera in Higashiyama, on grounds Hideyoshi's widow established as his memorial. The main hall was rebuilt in a simpler style after a 1912 fire, but the Kaisando hall, the Otamaya mausoleum, and two hillside teahouses survive from the original construction. Its garden, a nationally designated Place of Scenic Beauty, pairs a raked-gravel rock garden with a pond and maple trees that color in late November. The Kodai-ji Sho Museum displays lacquer artwork and temple treasures nearby, and the subtemple Entokuin adds two more gardens. Evening illuminations run in spring and autumn; admission is 600 yen and the temple has no fixed closing days.