You can reach caves by means of train at Aurangabad in Maharashtra
Kovid Kapoor 1 year ago
Visiting these caves should ideally be a two day trip. It takes around 6 hours by road from Mumbai, after which exploring the caves (and all the walking involved in between) can get tiring. The paintings of Ajanta and sculptures of Ellora used to be marvellous many years ago, and they still retain this beauty, but they seem to have deteriorated in terms of maintenance. However, it remains a must-visit destination for its beautiful illustrations and reminder of a regal Indian era. I would advise avoiding visits in the summer because the caves become incredibly hot and it is hard to enjoy the experience. Instead, come in the later months of the year from August and September onwards.
Aashimi Bhatia 1 year ago
- Ajanta caves face the east so visit them in the first half of the day as there is no light inside by the evening. - Ellora caves face the west so visit them in the second half of the day. - This trip has to be well planned. Covering Ajanta and Ellora caves in one day is very very difficult considering the distance and walking to do. Best is schedule 2-3 days. - Don't go to the corners of the caves as there are lots of bats. - Keep a torch with you when you visit the caves.
Harsha D N 1 year ago
It is one of the Jothirlinga. It is a Holy place. You can touch the Jothirlinga and pray to God.
Ask a question from the travellers who have experience.
Q. What are the places to eat around the caves?
Surbhi Parashar 1 year ago
Amazing sitaphal (custard apple) available along the western ghats!
Q. 1) What about the vegetarian food near Ajanta caves ?
2) Is there any decent lodges near Ajanta Caves ?
3) What is the distance between Aurangabad & Ajanta ?
4) Which choice you suggest to stay ? - Auarangabad or Aanta ?
Nibha Chaudhuri 5 months ago
1) MTDC Ajanta restaurant is run by the Maharashtra Tourism Department, situated close to the entrance of the caves. Rajasthani Dhaba and Hotel Priyanka are very close to the Ajanta visitor center. These places offer vegetarian food options.
2) The MTDC run Kannayha Kunj and tourist resort are good options. The nearby town of Fardapur has some decent lodging options as well if you're looking for something near the caves. They have very basic amenities.
3) Approximately 100 kms.
4) That really depends on your agenda. Personally, I prefer staying at Aurangabad.
Q. in one day we can visit ajanta and ellora caves from mumbai
Nibha Chaudhuri 1 year ago
You could, but it'd be pretty expensive, as you'd have to fly to and from Aurangabad, which is still around 1.5 - 2 hours away from the caves. I'd strongly recommend spending the night at Aurangabad, as it'd be cheaper and less hectic.