A guachinche is a small Canary Island establishment that is known to serve locally produced wine along with traditional Canarian food. Found most prominently in Tenerife, guachinches date back to the 17th century when local vineyard owners organised wine-tasting tours to sell their wine to England. They are pretty popular among tourists as they offer them a chance to experience the local gastronomy for very little money! So, if you’re travelling to Tenerife and are in the mood for local food and drinks, make sure to hit up some of the following 10 guachinches.
1. Guachinche La Huerta de Ana y EvaAlmost like a shack, La Huerta de Ana y Eva is a well-known guachinche in Tenerife where you can get mouth-watering food, including Mediterranean dishes, grilled meats, and local wine. It is a relatively large and simplistic space that features wooden benches, chairs, and tables, a bamboo roof with creepers hanging off it, plants all around, and also a garden terrace. The food here is very cheap and the perfect place for a casual meal.
Address: C. Obispo Pérez Cáceres, 25, 38370 La Matanza de Acentejo, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday to Friday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Saturday to Sunday: closed
Popular dishes: Ropa vieja, chistorra, cod encebollado, black pork ribs, carne fiesta, costillar cochino negro, escaldon, pollo asado etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 10 - EUR 15 for two
2. Guachinche Como En CasaIf you are visiting Tenerife with your family and are looking for a great place to try out some delectable authentic Canarian food and local wine, make your way to Guachinche Como En Casa in the San Cristóbal de la Laguna municipality. This popular establishment is quite big and boasts a relaxed atmosphere; it has very simple decor, which features a bamboo roof, white and orange walls, hanging lights, wooden chairs, and tables, etc. While you wait for your food, you can walk outside and check out its farm, which houses goats, chickens, and horses.
Address: TF-235, 131, 38297 La Laguna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Sunday to Thursday: 12:30 PM - 11:00 PM
Friday to Saturday: 12:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Popular dishes: Carne cabra, papas arrugadas, chopitos fritos, langostino plancha, parrillada, meloso de bogavante etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 10 - EUR 20 for two
3. Guachinche El CorderoSurrounded by countless plants and trees, Guachinche El Cordero is a superb place to try out not only because of its scrumptious authentic Canarian food but also its casual ambiance. It is designed such that you feel as though you are out in the open and features wooden tables and benches as well as chairs and tables with straw umbrellas on top. You must come here in the evening when all the lights are turned on, making for a cosy atmosphere. They are known primarily for their grilled meats, but their extensive menu also consists of other delicious local dishes, desserts and wines.
Address: TF-652, 8, 38639 El Monte O Guargacho, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 1:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 12:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Popular dishes and wines: Escaldón gofio, iberian pork, garlic rabbit, Canary puchero, beans soup, grilled cuttlefish, Flor de Chasna, San Valentīn, Protos etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 25 - EUR 35 for two
4. El Rancho De NinoA popular guachinche in Tenerife that has an indoor and outdoor seating area, El Rancho De Nino is a must-visit if you’re in the mood for traditional Canarian food and local wine. While the inside seating area comprises tables and chairs interspersed with lots of plants, a tin roof with creepers hanging off of it, the outside area is very simple and features sheds over the chairs and tables. You would be surrounded by ample greenery if you choose to sit outside.
Address: Camino los Gorrones, 2, 38632 Arona, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday to Sunday: 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Popular dishes and wines: Solomillo de cerdo, carne fiesta, secreto ibérico, sirloin steak, pollo asado, pescado guisado, carne de cabra, Copa de la Casa, Ribera del Duero, Rioja etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 20 - EUR 30 for two
5. Guachinche La CasonaGuachinche la Casona is located in La Orotava on the northern coast of Tenerife and is synonymous with mouth-watering traditional Canaria food, especially grilled meats, that is served with locally made wine and yummy desserts. The interiors are mainly made of wood, including the chairs and tables, and also include hanging lights, pictures and posters on the walls. You can also sit out on the terrace. The establishment has cosy and relaxed vibes which makes it ideal for a casual meal with friends or family. Moreover, you can also explore the surrounding vineyards; the area is surrounded by green mountains and is great for taking photographs too.
Address: Camino Polo, Las Canalitas, 33, 38300 La Orotava, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday - Sunday: 1:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Popular dishes and wines: Ropa vieja, garbanzas, chuletón, bistec, huevos a la estampida, solomillo, croquetas, tiramisú, quesillo, Vino Cosecha Propia etc.
6. Guachinche Casa LitoFor some delicious home cooked Canarian food at low prices, head over to Guachinche Casa Lito near the centre of Santa Úrsula. It has an indoor seating area, two covered terraces as well as a covered lounge and has a casual and relaxed atmosphere owing to its rustic decor. The establishment features wooden chairs and benches, tin roofs and lots of plants and trees all around. You can also take a stroll around the nearby vineyards and check out the many animals that are on site. Their extensive menu consists of several delicious local dishes, grilled meats, tasty desserts and home-grown red wine.
Address: C. Tijarafe, 35, 38390 Sta Úrsula, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday to Tuesday, Thursday to Saturday: 1:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Popular dishes: Bichillo, papas fritas, solomillo de res, huevos al estampido, ensalada, quesillo, churrasco etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 20 to EUR 25 for two
7. El Guachinche El CubanoLocated in the heart of the Valley of La Orotava, El Guachinche El Cubano is a very popular restaurant in Tenerife that is known for serving scrumptious traditional Canarian food and local wine. It is quite a picturesque location since it overlooks the valley and is also surrounded by lush green vineyards where they grow and produce their own wine. You would surely enjoy eating here because the restaurant is big and open; there is an indoor and outdoor seating area that comprises wooden chairs, benches, and tables, along with loads of plants and trees everywhere. You simply must try out their grilled meats which are said to be out of this world!
Address: Lugar, Maestre Juan, 38300, 38311 La Orotava, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday to Tuesday, Sunday: 12:45 PM - 6:00 PM
Wednesday to Thursday: 12:45 PM - 5:00 PM, 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Friday to Saturday: 12:45 PM - 11:00 PM
Popular dishes: Huevos estampidos, queso asado fresco, ropa vieja, escaldón, croquetas, garbanzas etc.
8. Bodegón El PrimeroA cosy restaurant surrounded by the hills, Bodegón El Primero is a guachinche in Santa Úrsula that serves mouth-watering Canarian food that tastes exactly as though it were home cooked! The restaurant has very simple decor and features white walls with a few pictures, wooden chairs and tables, a straw roof, a small bar and an outdoor seating area. Make sure to try out their octopus dishes which are very yummy as well as their home wine.
Address: C. Malpais, 10, 38390 Santa Úrsula, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM, 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
Sunday: 12:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Popular dishes: Churros de pescado, queso asado, carne cabra, chistorras, papas arrugadas, pulpo guisado, ensalada “el primero,” garbanzas, veal chops etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 20 - EUR 25 for two
9. Guachinche El PinoFor some delicious and authentic Canarian food served in a casual and relaxing atmosphere, head over to Guachinche El Pino in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. It is known for its affordable food which includes favourites like mussels and octopus, as well as fruity and dry wine that they produce themselves. The establishment isn’t too big and has rustic vibes owing to its wooden furniture and roof, tiled floor, plants all around, white walls etc. There is also a small bar as well as an outdoor terrace area.
Address: C. la Longuera, 102, 38418 Los Realejos, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Timings: Wednesday to Sunday: 12:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Monday to Tuesday: closed
Popular dishes: Pimientos de padrón, mejillones, conejo frito, pulpo a la gallega, bacalao salado, lapas asadas, morcilla etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 15 - EUR 20 for two
10. Guachinche El FogónGuachinche El Fogón is a well-known family restaurant in Tenerife that serves tasty traditional Canarian food, especially non-vegetarian dishes. This cosy restaurant is smaller in size as compared to some of the other guachinches but guarantees the perfect casual ambiance for a nice meal with friends or family. The interiors have red and yellow walls with wood panelling, tiled floors, wooden furniture etc. while the outdoor area features tables under umbrellas. Moreover, they also serve vegan food.
Address: Cam. del Medio, S/N, 38291 Los Baldios, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, SpainOne of the best things about travelling is getting the opportunity to experience new cultures, which undoubtedly also includes the local gastronomy. Tenerife is well-known for its delicious food and local wines that you can enjoy at many of its guachinches. A major part of their heritage, a visit to some of these small establishments would be a great way for you to not only try out some delicious and affordable food but also to learn about the island’s past.
Timings: Monday to Thursday: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Friday to Sunday: 12:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Popular dishes: Montadito de almogrote, timbal bacalao, huevos rotos, langostino empanados, bistec de cerdo, lomo alto etc.
Approximate cost: EUR 20 - EUR 30 for two