Malls in Wellington
1) Old Bank Shopping ArcadeHoused in the historic Old Bank of New Zealand building, the Old Bank Shopping Arcade is currently a shopping mall with numerous boutiques of talented New Zealand designers. Ruby, Taylor, Vigi, Missy’s Room, I Love Ugly and many other beloved New Zealand labels are available in these boutiques. Higher Taste, Starbucks and Smith the Grocer are included among the restaurants and cafes inside the mall.
With an animated mechanical musical clock that chimes every hour as the centerpiece, the Old Bank Shopping Arcade is renowned for the amazing Edwardian Baroque architecture. The remnants of a ship called Plimmer’s ark was unearthed during the building renovation in 1997 and now exhibited in the mall. Old Bank Arcade successfully delivers the modern shopping experience while retaining such fascinating elements from history.
Location: 233-237 Lambton Quay, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Fri 10.00am – 5.00pm, Sat 10.00am – 4.00pm, Sun & Public Holidays 11.00am – 3.00pm
2) Queensgate Shopping CentreEstablished in 1986, Queensgate Shopping Centre is situated just twenty minutes North of Wellington City. With over one hundred and fifty specialty stores including fashion boutiques, jewellers, salons, restaurants and many other services, it is one of the best shopping malls in Wellington. The January Little Mornings for kids and the Thursday Late Nights which allow the customers to shop for a few extra hours help Queensgate Shopping Centre to easily stand out.
In 2006, the size of the mall was doubled creating a lavish room for the car park. Wellington’s first VMAX movie theatre is planned to open in Queensgate Shopping Centre by the end of this year.
Location: Cnr Queensdrive and Bunny Street, Hutt Central, Wellington 5011, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Wed 9.00am – 6.00pm, Thu 9.00am – 9.00pm, Fri & Sat 9.00am – 6.00pm, Sun 10.00am – 5.30pm
3) Coastlands Shopping CentreWith over one hundred and twenty stores, Coastlands Shopping Centre is the preferred spot of the locals to pick up food, clothes and homewares. Davies Coffee, Mc Donald’s, Sen Sushi and LJ’s are some of the fine eateries in the mall. It also has facilities like a playground, taxi, parking, parent’s room, lift, etc.
Established in 1986, Coastlands Shopping Centre is very convenient to reach by both bus and car. The one thousand and eight hundred parking spaces are ample enough to park the vehicles of everyone who arrives in the mall. It also does not require any money for parking in the first four hours.
Location: Coastlands Shoppingtown Ltd. State Highway 1, Paraparaumu 5032, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Sat 9.00am – 5.30pm, Thu (Late night) – 9.00am – 7.00pm, Sun and Public Holidays 10.00am – 5.30pm
4) North City Shopping CentreA two-level regional shopping centre with one hundred and two stores, North City Shopping Centre has been set up since 1990. After a thorough revamp and expansion seven years later, it again went through certain changes in 2004. With a huge number of specialty stores, a food court, a movie theatre and a play area for kids, North City Shopping Centre is currently one of the most important malls in Wellington.
Royal Roast, Butler’s Chocolate Café and Tank Juice Bar are some of their decent restaurants. The number of carparks in the mall exceeds thousand and each of the carparks is free for the first three to four hours.
Location: 2 Titahi Bay Road, Porirua City Centre, Porirua 5022, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Wed 9.00am – 6.00pm, Thu 9.00am – 9.00pm, Fri & Sat 9.00am – 6.00pm, Sun 10.00am – 6.00pm
5) Outlet CityFeaturing versatile fashion apparels including sportswear and women’s fashion, Outlet City is just ten minutes away from the Wellington (CBD) Central Business District. There are thirty shops in the mall which provide huge offers on products of leading brands like Adidas, Dwights Outdoors, Max, New Balance, etc. It also has an exclusive Bendon Outlet Store.
The number of carparks in Outlet City surpasses five hundred creating plenty of room for parking your vehicle. Chipmunks Playground, a children’s playground and café is situated across the carpark where actually people of all ages can have a good time. There are three accessories stores, five general stores and three restaurants in total apart from fashion boutiques.
Location: 24 Main Road, Tawa, Wellington 5028, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Sun 10.00am – 5.00pm
6) Johnsonville Shopping CentreJohnsonville Shopping Centre houses over eighty businesses across local, national and international stores. Located north of Wellington, it can be conveniently reached by car, bus or even train. One of the malls in Wellington which provides an amazing shopping experience to its customers, Johnsonville Shopping Centre has decent restaurants as well. Pho Bac, Spice Traders, Magic Wok and Capital Kebab are some among them.
Specialty stores for fashion, health, beauty and homewares and other commendable services are offered at Johnsonville Shopping Centre. The customers are also free from any hassle in parking their vehicles since there is sufficient parking space.
Location: 66 Johnsonville Road, Johnsonville, Wellington 6037, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Wed 9.00am – 5.30pm, Thu 9.00am – 5.00pm, Fri – Sat 9.00am – 5.30pm, Sun 10.00am – 4.30pm
7) Lambton Square Shopping CentreLocated in Lambton Quay, Lambton Square Shopping Centre has a variety of specialty stores including eateries, health and beauty spas, fashion stores, jewelers and grocery shops. The mall is a great place to pick up gifts and homewares. There are also services like travel agencies and photographic suppliers.
Lambton Square Shopping Centre is a first class shopping destination in Wellington.
Location: 180 Lambton Quay, Wellington Central, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Timings: Mon – Fri 7.00am – 5.30pm, Sat 10.00am – 4.00pm, Sun 11.00am – 3.00pm
8) Capital Gateway CentreLocated within walking distance from Lambton Quay, Capital Gateway Centre was established over two decades ago. The highly visible location of the mall in Thorndon Quay has majorly contributed to its success. It has a kid’s zone, an on-site café and many specialty stores. Free customer car parking of one hundred and fourteen car parks is available.
Location: 34/54 Thorndon Quay, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New ZealandAre there any more exciting malls in Wellington? Tell us in the comments.
Timings: Mon – Fri 9.00am – 5.30pm, Sat 10.00am – 6.00pm, Sun & Public Holidays 10.00am – 5.00pm