Here is the list of 10 must-visit Indian restaurants in Nairobi:
1. Open House Restaurant Ltd.Located on Parklands Road, Open House is one of the oldest Indian restaurants in Nairobi. The impeccable flavours of Indian dishes are best served here through their expansive menu of Tandoor, Curries, Sweets, and Indian Bread. The family-friendly restaurant with a warm and inviting ambience is a must-visit for any food lover. Fish lovers should try authentic Goan dishes like the Goan prawn curry and fish tikka masala. Try the veg Kushta, mutton sheek kebab, or the tandoori wings. If you want something spicy, try the Kashmiri and Ginger Chicken Masala. Conclude your feast with traditional Indian sweets.
Location - 1st Floor, Gallant Mall, Parklands Road, P.O. Box: 66818-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - 0735 621 824 / 0727 726 345
Open hours - 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Must Haves - Chicken Malai Tikka at KES 1,100, Kashmiri Chicken at KES 1,100, Boneless Mutton Biriyani at KES 1,300
2. Haandi RestaurantReigning in Nairobi since 1991, the famous and internationally acclaimed Haandi Restaurant is a dining hotspot for tourists worldwide. The luxurious interiors amalgamated with a gold and brown theme portray its sophistication not just through food but also through its hospitality. The freshly ground spices, plucked herbs, and unique Indian flavours find their best home here. Start your dining experience with mouthwatering appetizers like some herby fish fingers, Jumbo Jumbo, and Chicken Lollipops. The main course comprises a wide range of rice and bread accompanied by Chicken Korma or the special Haandi’s Chicken Nakhini. For a change of taste, try the crafted Deccan Prawns or the Fish Pattarani. Try some unforgettable desserts like Gajjar Halwa, Rasmalai, Falouda Ice cream, and many others in Haandi.
Location - Haandi, The Mall, Waiyaki Way, Westlands
Contact No - (254) 736-651933 | +(254) 725-885533 | +(254) 733 648 294
Open hours - Lunch: 12.30 PM– 3.00 PM, Dinner: 6.30 PM – 10.30 PM
Must Haves - Basmati Rice at KES 550 with Haandi’s Chicken Nakhini at KES 1500, Dhaniya Chicken at Kes 2400, Kadai Paneer at KES 1500, Rasmalai at KES 500
3. Clay Oven RestaurantClay Oven offers its guests a memorable Indian dining experience in the busy neighbourhood of Westlands in Nairobi. The textured walls, the warm ambience, spacious seating arrangement, and the soft Indian music in the background make it a must for any food lover to try out the exquisite flavours here. Try the Dahi Vada, Baby Corn Bhajia, or the Aloo Chatpata. There are wide varieties of bread to try, like Methi Naan, Garlic Naan, Laccha Paratha, Keema Naan, and a few more. If you prefer non-veg dishes, you can try the sizzling Chicken, Gung Bao Fish, or some Mutton with Balck Bean Sauce. Plenty of vegetarian dishes like Veg with hot garlic sauce, Fu UYoung mushroom, stir fired broccoli are also available.
Location - Fuji Plaza Crossway Rd along Waiyaki way Nairobi
Contact No - +254 708 - 778 877
Open hours - 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM
Must Haves - Tandoori Fish Tikka at KES 1300, Chicken Tangri Kebab at KES 1150, Garlic Naan at KES 250, Mutton Dopiaza at KES 1250, Pista Kulfi at KES 450
4. Red GingerAre you searching for a relaxed and cosy ambience to enjoy Indian dishes in no hurry? Visit Re Ginger, located on Second Parklands Avenue, posing as the go-to eatery for all Indian travellers. Be it fine dining or quick snacks tours - find Indian, Mexican, and Chinese cuisine all under one roof. Try the fry-ups and nibbles corner to taste some Cheese Mix, Masala Papadum, Dal Bhajiya, and many more for quick snacks. Try the Murg Tandoori, Aloo Nazakat, or the Corn Sheek Kebab with Laccha Paratha for a heavy and delicious main course. If you are into platters, don't miss the seafood platter.
Location - Second Parklands Ave, Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - 0777244444
Open hours - 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Must Haves - Peri Peri Olive Chicken at KES 1000, Samosa at KES 500, Murg tandoor at KES 2200.
5. Tandoori Patio RestaurantThe ultimate paradise for every tandoori lover is Tandoori Patio Restaurant in Nairobi. The spacious restaurant is perfect for enjoying dinner with your big family. Peeping through the glass windows and enjoying nature while savouring flavoursome platters is an added advantage. The best of Tandoori Patio is undoubtedly its Tandoori section, as the name suggests. From trying chicken tandoori to Fish Tandoori - the meat and the flavours will melt inside your mouth. The Indian curries at tandoori Patio are also lip-smacking. Try out the craft wine options for a complete experience.
Location - Tandoori Patio, Lower Kabete Road, Nairobi, Kenya, Nairobi County
Contact No - +254735959595
Open hours - 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Must Haves - Chicken Tandoori along with Tandoori Naan, Tandoori Malai Tikka, Fish Tikka
6. Grand Cafe and Indian CuisineLocated in the heart of Kilimani in Nairobi, experience fine dining at Grand Cafe & Indian Cuisine. Once you enter this Indian eatery, you can relate to the setting of India and can get the smell of freshly prepared dishes right away. The experienced chefs will satisfy your Indian hunger with authentic Coconut Fish Curry and the all-time favourite contemporary Indian snacks like Chicken Tikka Masala and Palak Paneer. If you want the best breakfast in town, try their Grand Breakfast serving eggs and Lyonnaise potatoes with baked beans or sausages. Try the Chicken Breast served with mushroom gravy, garden salad, and chips. The smoothness of Pita Bread is another unique item of Grand Cafe.
Location - Lenana Towers, Lenana Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - +254 792 746713
Open hours - 6:30 AM to 10:15 PM
Must Haves - Grilled Chicken Breast at KES 1100 and Lamp Curry at KES 1150
7. Anghiti RestaurantIf you are searching for good Indian food in the Rhapta road neighbourhood, jump into Anghiti restaurant. They serve you authentic Indian platters, from curries to dal makhani. The ambience is perfect for a family get-together and is spacious for kids to roam around. Find some of the most uncompromised flavours of India in Nairobi here. Start your dining experience with an appetizer like Jaljeera. Try the tasty all-spiced-up Tandoori Achari Tikka with nigella seeds and freshly minced mutton chops. The various flavours on the Anghiti ki Rassoi special menu is unlike any other Indian restaurant in Nairobi. Shahi Paneer, Vegetable Dhansak, Aloo Mutter, and Dal Makhani are a must-try.
Location - PQMX+CMW, Rhapta Road, Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - +254 734 320330
Open hours - 12:00 PM to 3:30 PM, 6:00 PM to 10:30 PM
Must Haves - Palak Paneer at KES 1680, Tandoori Mushrooms at KES 1625, Chicken Wings at KES 1875
8. The Mayura, KarenExperience fine dining in this exquisitely designed theme-based Indian restaurant in Nairobi. Depicting the national bird of India, Peacock at its theme with varied colours, Mayura presets to you bursting colours of flavours, species, and the cultural enigma of India in its ambience. Enjoy this theme of a riot of colours even better at night with a drink and some fresh Kebabs on your tables. Try out the mouthwatering Chicken Cheese Malai Tikka with a gulp of your favourite alcohol. The Chicken Sugarcane Skewer will be an addition to your list of favourite dishes. If fish dishes allure your appetite, try the Fish Amritsari, Fish Patrani, or the Crispy Chilli Garlic Fish.
Location - THE HUB KAREN (By The Lake Side), Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - +254 737 224422
Open hours - 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Must Haves - Twin Kebab at KES 1100, Chicken Reshmi Kebab at KES 1100, Shaukiyana Mutton Sheek Kebab at KES 1200, Fish Amritsari at KES 1200, Mutton Biriyani at KES 1200
9. Kailash Parbat KenyaAmalgamating flavours of north and south India, the Kailash Parbat Restaurant in Nairobi is an all-time favourite among all Kenyans. The breezy ambience of the eatery, the extravagant seating arrangement, and the unnumbered dining options will surely make you drool over epic Indian cuisine. Start your experience with sweet lassi as a beverage and roll on to all the favourite Indian chaats like Pani Puri, Bhel Puri, and Dahi Vada. Next on the list is the special menu of Kailash Parbat since 1952, like the Samosa, Ragda Pattice, and Chole Bature. South Indian dishes like Idli Sambar and Masala Dosa are lip-smacking as well. Conclude your food feast with Kulfi Falooda- the unavoidable dessert of all time.
Location - The Oval, Ring Road, Nairobi, Kenya
Contact No - +254 110 008335
Open hours - 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Must Haves - Pani Puri, Samosa, Paneer Tikka Lababdar, Kulfi Falooda & Bengali Mithai
10. NargisFind fresh Indian flavours at Nargis Restaurant, located in Westlands. The open atmosphere is welcoming and has a touch of Indianness to everything. The food served here is fresh, and the menu is unbeatable. From serving perfectly aromatic Biriyani to flaky Kheema Chapati - your taste buds will enjoy this wonderful feast. Try the boneless Chicken Tikka marinated in fresh yoghurt and served with the best Chutney. Mutton Kebab and Paneer tikka is a must try.
Location - SCHOOL LANE, WESTLANDS, Nairobi, KenyaNot just Indians, Kenyans and people from around the world love Indian cuisine for its unique blend of spices and flavours. All these restaurants have home delivery options available, as well.
Contact No - +254 722 793054
Open hours - 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM, 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Must Haves - Mutton Keema at KES 850, Mushkaki at KES 900, Paneer Roll at KES 850, Paan Kulfi at KES 650