What Is Halal Food?Before talking about where you can find halal food in Chicago, let’s discuss what is considered as being halal. The word “halal” basically translates to what is considered lawful or permissible in English and halal food, which is in accordance with the laws mentioned in the Quran. According to these laws, there is a very specific way of slaughtering animals for meat. It has to be done with a slit to the windpipe, jugular vein, and carotid artery to an alive and healthy animal.
The blood is then supposed to be drained from the body while reciting a dedication called “tasmiya” or “shahada.” Halal food is the complete opposite of “haram” food which is considered unlawful and involves slaughtering the animals incorrectly or consuming flowing blood.
12 Best Places for Delish Halal Food in ChicagoThere are multiple food joints all over Chicago where you can get your fix of delicious halal food and some of them are as follows:
1. The Halal GuysWhat started out as a hot dog cart in Manhattan has grown to be a well-known food chain in the US. The Halal Guys are popular for their fresh delicious and flavourful halal food which attracts large crowds. Their menu consists of the falafel platter, the chicken platter, beef gyro sandwich, baba ghanoush, baklava, fries and other food items. You can walk into one of their restaurants, stop at a food truck, order online and even take advantage of their catering services for any special events.
Address: 49 W Division St, Chicago, IL 60610, United States
10:30 am to 10:00 pm (Monday- Thursday),
10:30 am to 11:00 pm (Friday- Saturday),
10:00 am to 10:00 pm (Sunday)
Price: USD 2.10 onwards
2. Salam RestaurantIf you are looking for some mouth-watering Middle Eastern food with an American touch, make sure to check out Salam Restaurant. Their extensive menu comprises halal food with their being vegetarian, non-vegetarian and vegan options for you. Walk into their cosy establishment and choose from delicious appetisers like falafel, hummus, babaghanoug and entrées like the shawarma plate, grilled shish kabob, kalayas etc.
Some vegetarian options include lebanese salad, lentil soup, vegetarian falafel plate etc.
Address: 4636 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL 60625, United States
Timings: 9:30 am to 1:30 am
Price: USD 2.29 onwards
3. Epic BurgerPop into Epic Burger if you are craving some tasty burgers but can only eat halal meat! They strive to prepare food which is not-processed; free of preservatives, artificial flavours and colours, nitrates and other such additives. Their Epic Burger Classic (Single and Double) are the only burgers available with halal meat but other items on the menu include turkey burgers, bunless burgers, plant-based burgers, chicken wings, etc.
You can add extra like avocado, fries, cheese and salads. They also serve strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter and other drinks.
Address: 407 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60654, United States
10:30 am to 9:00 pm (Monday- Saturday),
11:00 am to 8:00 pm (Sunday)
Price: USD 3.99 onwards
4. Bombay WrapsIn case you are in a hurry and need to quickly grab something to eat, Bombay Wraps is the perfect choice. With vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and halal options, the food joint has a vaste menu including wraps like beef kabob and lamb curry which are both halal, chicken reshmi, cheese paneer, samosa etc. They also have rice bowl, roll and salad bowl options.
Some sides available are samosas with chutney, lentil dal soup, sweet potato fries, Indian cookies, lassi smoothies and more. You can order online, go to the restaurant or hire their catering services.
Address: 3149 1/2 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657, United States
Timings: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
Price: Around USD 5
5. Tandoor Char HouseLooking for Indian-Pakistani food? Tandoor Char House is the way to go, especially since they have halal food. Inspired by their parents’ cooking, two brothers set up this joint and serve delicious dishes like seekh kabob, tandoor fish, chicken karhai, chaat fries, chana masala, shrimp biryani etc. They are also known for their fusion dishes, inspired from cultures from all over and some are tikka masala tacos, New York strip loin, tandoor char burger etc.
Go for desserts like malai kulfi, gulab jamun and mango cheesecake. They cater for events as well.
Address: 2652 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
4:00 pm to 10:30 pm (Monday- Friday),
11:00 am to 10:30 pm (Saturday),
11:00 am to 10:00 pm (Sunday)
6. WazwanWazwan brings to you delectable South Asian flavours combined with Middle Eastern and American ones. They offer halal options and some of the items on their menu are THC Sando, Wazwanimal Burger, Beef Seekh Kabob Roll, Paneer Makhani Masala, Tandoori Smoked Wings etc. You can get a beverage to go with your meal.
There is an option to get take-out or to have the food be delivered at your doorstep! What’s more, they often host private catered events.
Address: 111 N Aberdeen St, Chicago, IL 60607, United States
Timings: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm (Tuesday- Sunday), Monday
Price: USD 3.50 onwards
7. Taza CafeWith a variety of halal, vegetarian, gluten free and non-vegetarian options, Taza Cafe serves delicious Greek, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food. Although their fresh hummus and falafels are the main attractions on the menu, some other food items include baba ghanoug, tabbouli, hummus chicken kabob bowl, gyros plate etc. There is pita bread, fries and feta cheese on the side and baklava if you are craving some dessert.
They have a multitude of catering packages if you are looking for some delicious halal food for special events.
Address: 176 N Franklin St #1822, Chicago, IL 60606, United States
10:00 am to 8:00 pm (Monday- Friday),
Saturday- Sunday closed
Price: USD 2.50 onwards
8. I-Cafe Sukur’s PlaceI-Cafe Sukur’s Place has your fix of scrumptious Turkish food served in a warm and cozy setting! Not only are their ingredients halal but also fresh and of the best quality. They are known for their hummus, chicken salad, lentil soup, sucuk and cheese pide, lahmacun and more. On the other hand, their baklava, rice pudding and kazandibi are absolutely drool-worthy. You can either choose to order online or go into their restaurant and eat there itself.
Address: 1814 Irving Park Rd, Chicago, IL 60613, United States
4:00 pm to 9:00 pm (Monday, Tuesday- Wednesday),
1:00 pm to 9:00 pm (Friday- Sunday)
Price: USD 3 onwards
9. Cairo KebabMake your way to Cairo Kebab in Lincoln Park for some authentic Mediterranean food, especially for traditional Egyptian cuisine. Their extensive menu of vegetarian, non-vegetarian and vegan dishes featuring halal options consists of starters, soups, salads, entrées and desserts. You can pick from chicken shawerma, kofta kebabs, falafel sandwich, Jerusalem salad, lentil soup, baklava, mamoula and more.
If you don’t feel like coming into the restaurant, you can always order online.
Address: 1524 W Fullerton Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
Timings: 11:00 am to 9:30 pm
Prices: USD 2.50 onwards
10. TurkitchLooking for halal food in Chicago? Pop into Turkitch for breakfast lunch or dinner and enjoy their delicious authentic Turkish food. With their various beverages, appetisers, wraps, pide, platters and rice bowls, there is something for all. Some items on the menu are white rice with cauliflower, beef Turkoburger, steak doner wrap, menemen with cheese, spinach pide, kisir etc.
Their beverages include Turkish coffee, herbal tea, mocha, nigde gazoz and desserts include sutlac, tiramisu cake, baklava etc. You can dine-in or order online.
Address: 565 W Diversey Pkwy, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
11:00 am to 9:30 pm (Tuesday- Friday),
10:00 am to 9:30 pm (Saturday),
10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Sunday), Monday closed
Prices: USD 2 onwards
11. Rumi Middle Eastern GrillFeaturing a Zahiba Halal menu, Rumi Middle Eastern Grill has a plethora of delicious Mediterranean dishes. They strive to prepare fresh and healthy food and have full meals, plates, snacks and desserts. The Wicker Park Platter, falafel salad, chicken shawarma pita, gyro wrap, chicken poutine, hummus and dolmas are some options to choose from.
For dessert, you can have baklava and chocolate cake, and tea, lemonade or soda as a beverage. They have dine-in, take-out and catering available.
Address: 1534 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622, United States
11:00 am to 10:00 pm (Monday, Wednesday- Saturday),
10:00 am to 9:00 pm (Sunday),
5:00 pm to 10:00 pm (Tuesday)
Prices: USD 2 onwards
12. The Halal BurgerHave a hankering for burgers but can only eat halal food? Head over to Halal Burger for a mix of Lebanese, Greek, Turkish and Armenian cuisines. They make sure to use only the freshest of ingredients. You can sit in their cosy set-up and order a variety of dishes like fries, turkey Swiss sandwiches, Greek style gyro sandwich, BLT hot dog, wings, gladiator burger etc. Moreover, you can opt for their “order online” option too.
Address: 6234 N California Ave, Chicago, IL 60659, United StatesOne of the best things about being in the Windy City is getting to experience the cultural diversity including the distinctive gastronomy. Don’t worry about not being able to taste the city’s delectable food because of particular eating restrictions; there are plenty of options when it comes to halal food in Chicago.
Timings: 7:00 am to 2:00 am
Prices: USD 1.99 onwards