The following are 15 of the most well-known sunset spots on the island:
1. Oia VillageLocated on the northern side of the island, Oia Village is the most popular place in Santorini to watch the sunset. The Byzantine Castle ruins here are perhaps the best spot to catch the setting sun since it overlooks the sea, the iconic blue-domed buildings, and the Agios Spyridonas and Anastaseos churches. However, make sure to get here earlier than 5 PM if you want to grab the best place, as it tends to get crowded quickly. And if you want a less crowded spot, the hiking trail heading east, windmills in the north and even the hillside behind Oia town are great options.
2. On the SeaSantorini is quite famous for its boat excursions and what better way to watch the sunset than when on the water! You can book a sunset cruise and set out on the Aegean Sea in the evening; you would be treated to stellar views of the sun setting over the sea as well as in the backdrop of the island. Moreover, a sunset cruise is also a great romantic activity. If you and your partner want some privacy to enjoy the stupendous moment, you can also hire a private vessel, be it a motorboat or a catamaran.
3. Santo WinesIf you’re planning on going wine tasting on your trip to Santorini, make sure to visit Santo Wines in the evening as you would also get to witness the marvellous sunset. The winery is just outside of Pyrgos and overlooks some of the island’s most notable attractions, including the Akrotiri Lighthouse, Fira, Oia, the caldera and the port, amongst others. So, take a seat, get yourself a glass of wine and just enjoy its fruity and earthy tones while you soak in the gorgeous view of the sunset.
4. BeachesSantorini’s pristine beaches boasting crystal clear water are undoubtedly the island’s major attractions. They are the perfect choice not only if you’re looking for some fun in the water but also if you want a scenic place to watch the setting sun. Beaches like Perissa Beach, Kamari Beach, Red Beach and Agios Georgios Beach, along with many others, are ideal locations to be at during sundown as you would get to catch the sun setting in the backdrop of the expansive sea and imposing cliffs. Some beaches get more crowded than others, so don’t forget to do your research before you set out!
5. Akrotiri LighthouseDating back to the 19th century, the Akrotiri Lighthouse is one of the most iconic sunset spots in Santorini. Located on a cliff at the end of a narrow road on the island’s west coast, this lighthouse offers unmatched views of the Aegean Sea’s changing hues as the sun goes down. It is a wonderful spot for photographs, especially with the lighthouse in the frame looking superb in the foreground of the sunset. Given how popular this viewpoint is, it does get crowded in the evening; it is advisable to get here as early as possible so that you can grab the best spot.
6. Prophet Elias MonasteryThe Prophet Elias Monastery should definitely be on your list of sunset viewpoints because it is situated at the highest point of Santorini and overlooks the entire island and the Aegean Sea. It is the perfect vantage point to watch the setting sun, making it such a good spot because it is usually quiet even at sunset since most of its facilities are close by then. So take your cameras and head to the monastery for the most extraordinary sundown views.
7. The Donkey Stairs at FiraA slightly offbeat choice, the donkey stairs or the Karavolades Stairs in Fira make for a splendid place to watch the sunset. They are on a hillside and link Fira to the Old Port, overlooking the city’s renowned white-washed buildings with blue domes as well as the sea. The stairs are usually never crowded, so all you have to do is find a step, maybe bring a bottle of wine, sit down and watch as the sun sets over the Aegean Sea. Don’t forget to capture this incredible moment!
8. Franco’s CafeSantorini is home to a multitude of cafes, bars and restaurants that face the open sea and offer bewitching views of the sunset. Franco’s Cafe in Pyrgos is one such famous cafe-bar that is a must-visit if you want to witness the sunset; set within an 18th-century castle on a hill, it provides remarkable views of the sunset over the caldera. It is a wonderful place to sit with friends or family, enjoy some delicious food and drinks, listen to soothing classical music and take in the majestic views of the surroundings.
9. Villas and ResortsOne of the best and most hassle-free ways of watching the sunset in Santorini is to stay in your villa or resort. Several waterfront hotels with balconies and terraces open to views of the Aegean Sea, the caldera and the island’s multitude of blue-domed buildings, all of which look make for a magnificent sight at sunset. Some of the most popular hotels include Alta Vista Suites, Homeric Poems, Charisma Suites and Ifestio Villas.
10. 363 LoungeLocated within the Grace Santorini hotel, 363 Lounge is a luxurious champagne bar with a terrace area that overlooks the caldera and offers phenomenal sunset views. Whether with friends or family or looking to have a romantic evening with your partner, this scenic bar is the ideal place to be since you can enjoy great wine, cocktails and food while conversing and marvelling at the terrific views.
11. Ammoudi BayA lesser known location when it comes to watching the sunset, Ammoudi Bay at the foot of Oia is a treat to visit since it is a scenic area owing to its surrounding cliffs and is also rarely crowded. You must visit one of its waterfront restaurants such as the very popular Ammoudi Fish Tavern that serves mouth-watering seafood and overlooks the Aegean Sea and Santorini’s white-washed buildings with blue domes. As the sun sets, you get to soak in incredible views of these buildings as well as the sea turning yellow or orange!
12. PK Cocktail BarIf you are looking for a bar to visit around sunset, make your way over to PK Cocktail Bar which is located close to Theotokopoulou Square in Fira. A high-end establishment, it boasts not only of an extensive menu featuring a variety of wine and other beverages but also of unparalleled views of the sunset over the Aegean Sea and the caldera. Moreover, their “Champagne Sunsets” is a special service offered to couples who wish to spend their evening watching the stunning sunset and sipping on French champagne.
13. Skaros RockSituated just outside of Imerovigli, Skaros Rock is a rocky cape that protrudes onto the sea and was once the site of a 13th century fortress. A marked trail leads from the Agios Georgios church to the top of the rock where you would be met with astounding views of the Aegean Sea, the bay and the surrounding islands, especially at sunset. Skaros Rock is undoubtedly one of the best sunset viewpoints in Santorini and is a must-visit owing to its panoramic views that you simply must capture in a photograph!
14. TherasiaTherasia, although not in Santorini, is definitely worth a visit if you wish to watch an extraordinary sunset. Situated to the west of the island and only accessible via a ferry ride, Therasia is known for its rugged terrain and its hilltops that offer majestic views of the sunset, especially since you can see Santorini with its white-washed buildings with blue domes and its small villages too. However, since the last ferry back to Santorini leaves before sunset, you would need to book accommodation in Therasia for the night; make sure to do it well in advance as there are few places to stay at.
15. Mama Thira TavernaMama Thira Taverna, carved on a cliffside, is located above the caldera on the way to Firostefani and is a wonderful place to dine at during sundown. Overlooking the Aegean Sea, it is a great spot to watch the sunset since you would be treated to incredible views of the sea changing colours while you feast on some delicious Greek food and wine.
Watching the sunset in Santorini is an incredible and unforgettable experience. If you are visiting this dreamy Greek island, make sure to visit as many sunset spots, bars and restaurants as you can to fully soak in its natural beauty. And don’t forget to take lots of pictures that you look back on to reminisce about your trip!