1. Patalpani WaterfallLocated in Mhow Tehsil, Patalpani Waterfall is approximately 300 feet high. A hidden gem, it is a favourite picnic spot among families with its majestic beauty. During rainy seasons, the water gushes through great force, and hence, it is also ideal for specific adventure activities. A peaceful atmosphere offers a beautiful option to unwind for families. While you are visiting Patalpani Waterfall, make sure you also visit the Maheshwar, Omkareshwar and other pilgrim sites in the region. Plan a picnic around the July to October months to capture the true essence of the place.
Timings: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM
2. Pipliyapala Regional ParkAlso known as the Indore Regional Park offers a very tranquil atmosphere with a lake surrounded by lush greenery for a perfect family getaway. It is more like a serene oasis amidst the urban jungle. Go on a boat ride and take a picture near the water fountain to keep the memory fresh for the years to come. The French Indian Gardens will let you imagine all the possible shapes that your mind can picture. While you can pack some delicious homemade snacks, there are also food counters selling some delightful local treats.
Ticket: For adults: INR 25
For children: INR 10
Timings: 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
3. Ahilya Fort, MaheshwarAway from the noise of the world, the Ahilya Fort in Maheshwar is ranked among the favourite picnic spots for families who are interested in spending a day right next to history and river Narmada. The town of Maheshwar is 4000-year old which takes you back to an era when queen Ahilyabai Holkar ruled the place. The Fort is situated next to the picturesque ghats or river steps which offers a great site with priests chanting mantras. The Fort has been converted into a hotel which overlooks the Ahilyeshwar Temple and the river bank. The elegant architecture of the Fort will leave you mesmerised. Boat rides are the best way to enjoy the sunrise and sunset at the banks of the river.
Timings: 07:00 AM - 07:00 PM
4. GomatgiriA pilgrimage site for the Jains, Gomatgiri is located at a distance of merely 10-minutes drive from the Indore airport. A 21 ft statue of Gomateshwar which is a replica of the gigantic statue of Bahubali at Shravanabelagola is a major attraction. The statue of Gomateshwar is situated at a hill. Apart from this, there are also 24 temples, each representing the 24 Tirthankaras of Jainism. Gomatgiri is a picnic spot that will reward you with the best views of the area.
Timings: 07:00 AM - 10:00 PM
5. Tincha FallThe alluring Tincha falls are a complete entertainment package if you are planning a day out with family. A canyon as well as a gorge, the waterfalls get their name as they are located in the village Tincha. With the sun on your face, eat outdoors with a beautiful view as the fall bloom after the rainy season. The water plummeting at the height of 300 ft. also has a pond for those who would like to take a swim in it. Trekking is another activity that you should indulge in if you are a nature lover if you are planning for a family day out here.
Timings: 24 Hrs
6. JanapavIt is a famous tourist spot located on the Indore-Mumbai highway. The Janapav Kuti is a mountain that offers a spectacular view of the area where you can go for a walk around or even trek your way to find a quiet spot to lay out your picnic. Around Diwali, a mega fair is also held annually which is a must-visit gala. The highest point of the Malwa plateau is a beautiful getaway during the rainy season.
Timings: 24 Hrs
7. Kamla Nehru Prani SangrahalayThe idea of finding a decent picnic spot at a zoological park is undoubtedly exciting and if the place in consideration is the Kamala Nehru Park also known as Chidiya Ghar, it is even more promising. With a high entertainment quotient for all ages, it is a beautiful place to relax and explore with various options such buggy rides, elephant rides, pony rides, camel rides for an unforgettable picnic. You can also catch a glimpse of and capture a large variety of birds and animals in your camera. The toy train that goes around the park is a must-try activity at the park.
Timings: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Ticket: INR 100
8. Choral DhamThe region around the Choral Dam is blissfully peaceful at any time of the year. There is ample space where you can spread out your picnic blanket to spend a lazy day with a magnificent sunrise or sunset as a backdrop to your family photograph of the day. The cool breeze in this hilly area is soothing while you munch on your favourite snacks with your near and dear ones.
9. Mohadi FallsThe breathtaking sight of water falling from a height is always thrilling, and Mohadi Waterfalls are just the perfect spot where you would take your family to visit for a picnic. Easily accessible, the Waterfall is located at a distance of 30 kms from Indore, it is an idyllic picnic spot if you are looking for a break from the monotony of life and want to be with your family.
Timings: 24 Hrs
10. Bamniya KundAnother stunning waterfall, located approximately 37 kms from Indore, Bamniya Kund is a three-tier charming wonder of nature - a campsite, a cascade and a waterfall. Enjoy a walk through the luscious green jungle to double your appetite to savour those freshly packed sandwiches for your picnic. In pleasant weather when the grey clouds loom above, spending time in the cool stream is the picture-perfect moment at this tourist spot.
Timings: 24 Hrs
11. Meghdoot UpvanA well-maintained garden near the Indore city, Meghdoot Upwan is considered among the most visited picnic spots in the area. The numerous variety of flowers and the colour splash all over the place will not let you stop clicking Instagram-worthy pictures of the flower beds. There is also an amusement park names a Mangal Merry Land inside the park and a dedicated recreational area for children. An ideal destination for families, Meghdoot Upwan, is located at a distance of 4 kms from Palasia.
Timings: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Ticket: Weekends INR 10 and Weekdays INR 5
12. Tafreeh Agro ParkFor a day with family where you get to explore fantastic adventure games at a real beauty nestled in nature's lap, you must visit Tafreeh to enjoy nature's beauty. The park offers variety of activities such as Water Maze, Cross the Hurdle, Snail's Pace, Lakshman Jhoola, Phantom's Fall, A Date with Nature, Music Gazebo and many more to let you create some picture-worthy memories while you experience the adrenaline rush take over you.
Timings: 10:00 AM - 06:00 PM
13. Hatyari KhohDo not judge this place by its name. A delightful spot, at a distance of 33.4 kilometres in Dongarkheda village, offers a weekend getaway packed with adventure amidst natural beauty. During the rainy season, the waterfalls offer a great view although it is not fit for trekking as it has a deep trench. The platform near the top of the falls can be a splendid spot for setting out your picnic.
Timings: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM
14. Sitlamata FallsAt a distance of 60 kms from the maddening crowd of the city of Indore, Sitlamata Falls is located near a village called Manpur. The Waterfalls make a lovely spot for a picnic with a majestic view of the water gushing at a tremendous speed where you can also take a dip in the freezing water once the monsoon season arrives. There are three natural caves in the area which is believed to be the hiding place of Holkar State Pindaris.
Timings: 24 Hrs
15. Sirpur LakeFor bird photography enthusiasts, a visit to the Sirpur Lake is mandatory. Declared as an IBA (an Important Bird Area), the lake receives around 150 different species of migratory as well as resident birds. To name a few, Eurasian Wigeon, Brahminy Shelduck, Zitting Cisticola, Open Billed Stork, Purple Heron, Short-Eared Owl, Singing Bushlark, Greater Flamingo and Bluethroat are some of the birds that can be spotted here. A butterfly park is also in the pipeline as a part of an ambitious plan for the Sirpur Lake. The Lake is spread over a whopping 800 acres. Escape the daily hustle and bustle of the mundane life to this peaceful green retreat with family and spend a day in nature's company.
Timings: 06:00 AM - 07:00 PM
16. Ralamandal Wildlife SanctuaryThis beautiful wildlife and bird sanctuary is an ideal picnic spot for nature lovers. Established in the year 1981 for the conservation of flora and fauna in the region, Rala Mandal is 20 kms away from the city of Indore. Inside the sanctuary, there is also a palace which was built by the Holkers during their reign. To have a good view of the elephants, deer and others among animals and eucalyptus, teak, Chandan, Babool among the trees in the forest, one can opt for a camel ride. The perfect time to plan a picnic at Rala Mandal is between October and February.
Timings: 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM
People living near Indore are surely blessed with an abundance of scenic places that would give you enough reasons to get some sandwiches packed and get going for a memorable day out with your loved ones. With the growing urbanisation, we all seek some calm escapades with family. Enjoying the perks of a strategic location of the city, Indore has plenty of retreats with vibrant greens setting the picnic mood right. Go out on trekking with your loved ones and click frame-worthy family pictures at these places with rich scenery in the background to add colours.