You can quickly do the balancing act, especially if you stay in Pune! The city is nestled between the mighty Sahyadris on one side and the lovely plateau on the other, leaving us with ample options to explore!
We've listed a few places for Camping near Pune:
1. Pawna Lake Camping
Ever imagined waking up to a lake adjoining your tent, with the last smoke coming out from the bonfire? You can experience all this at Pawna Lake. Situated ten kms off Kamshet on the old Mumbai-Pune highway, it makes a scenic location for camping. Various players have their campsites, and their offerings include barbeque, outdoor games, music nights etc. Pawna is the perfect location for a quiet weekend with your friends and family.
2. Kaas Plateau
Maharashtra is proud to have its very own Valley of Flowers! And why not? Located at a distance of 136 km from Pune, the place evokes a feeling of being in nothing less than heaven! Kaas is an abode for families and especially for all photography enthusiasts! The best time to visit here is between September and November as this is when the place is at its full glory! It is home to around 850 species of flowers and has plenty of trails for hiking. You have an option of either checking in into one of the camps or pitching your tent. Till recent times, this place was a well-guarded secret, but now people from nearby cities flock to see the blooms, to trek and for photography.
3. Rajmachi CampingRajmachi Fort is located about 16 kms from Lonavala. It is one of the most popular trekking and camping destinations. The best part about trekking to the top is that the trek grade is 'easy' making it the most loved destination for beginners and for those who are not looking for too much adventure.
Once you reach atop, you can perch your tent on the open grounds, or you can stay at the villager's homes at a nominal cost. Your breakfast, lunch, and dinner are sorted when the immensely hospitable locals serve you delicious Maharashtrian cuisines!
Other seasonal attractions include seeing fireflies before the onset of monsoons and the Kataldhar waterfall during monsoons. Because it is a trek, winters and monsoons are ideal as the summers tend to get too hot and uncomfortable.
4. Camping in VelheAnother off-beat destination about 50 kms (1 hour 45 minutes drive) away from Pune is Velhe - a small hamlet close to nature. A place where you can set up your campsite, or opt for one of the already set up campgrounds, you can do some real good soul cleansing here.
Indulge yourself in various activities like football, cricket, and archery, learn to pitch a tent and enjoy the barbeque and campfire in the evenings.
Monsoons and winters are ideal seasons when you can go camping at Velhe, but the campsites are available whole year round! If you want to go beyond camping, the adventure junkie in you can opt to trek the Torna Fort which is merely five kms away from the village. The fort has the historical significance of being one of the first forts to be acquired by Shivaji Maharaj- the great Maratha warrior!
7. Kundalika RiverGame for rafting, but no time to head to Rishikesh? Worry not. Head to this destination 100 kms away - the only place in Maharashtra to have rafting is the Kundalika River. For the adrenaline rush and to experience Grade two and three rapids, this is the place to be! There are a plethora of campsites to choose from! You can take your pick based on your budget! The months after monsoons are when the rafting takes places! So make sure to plan your trip accordingly.
9. BhorAnother off-beat and less known destination near Pune is Bhor. The village is a part of the Pune district itself and can be easily reached in an hour and a half at the most (distance is 55 kms). It is an ideal place to go if you're looking for a short trip, somewhere not too far from the city.
The place is just perfect, being away from the chaos of the city, having fresh air that is bound to leave you re-energised and geared up for the week to come. Surprisingly, many Bollywood films, as well as Marathi TV serials, have been shot at the various locations here.
You can enjoy outdoor activities like cricket, football volleyball as well as indulge in some adventurous activities like kayaking, zip lining, zorbing etc. and enjoy some mouth-watering barbeque in the evenings at the campsite.
Unlike Lonavala and Khandala, Khopoli is a quaint town in the valley. On the one hand, it has certain pockets which have the settlement, while many of the adjoining areas are secluded enough for you to enjoy a peaceful weekend in the lap of nature. There are a lot many options to choose from in Khopoli which include hiking, rural tourism, nature trails, barbeque etc.
It is about 80 kms away from Pune and is surrounded by mountains from all sides. You know, what's the best part? The place looks gorgeous when viewed from the top in the night when it is all lit up! It's a sight to behold! One should not miss out on visiting Khopoli!
11. LavasaIf there is a luxury in your mind, then hey! Pune has got you covered for it! What can be better than heading out to Lavasa? A one of its kind planned, own artificially built city near Pune, it's a heaven for not only the Punekars but others alike. People make it a point to visit Lavasa and spend time there.
Situated just 60 kms off Pune, Lavasa is pretty diverse with its offerings. Although the rates are expensive, who doesn't mind spending at times?
Although you cannot perch your tent at a location, you like, but you have a wide range of campsites available to choose from based on their itinerary, offerings and budget. Lavasa is always top notch when it comes to quality and services. So you can pick out a plan that best suits your pocket and preference and head to this beauty!
Lately, the first word which comes to the mind when someone says Kamshet is 'paragliding'! The place has become synonymous with this particular adventure activity owing to some players have sprung up in recent times. Located just 50 kms from Pune, this is the place to be if you are craving to indulge in an adventure activity that you have meant to tick off your checklist for the longest time!