Built-in 1638, Wangdue Phodrang Dzong was the most visible feature of the district and provided a wonderful view being located on a ridge overlooking the confluence of the rivers Dang Chhu and Punakha Chhu. It was open to visitors during the festival of Wangdue Phodrang Tsechu in Autumn. Unfortunately, it was burnt to the ground in 2012 and plans for renovation are expected to go on till 2021. However, the location of the Tsechu is now the Army Training Centre which could be confirmed with the tour operator. There is also an Archery Ground where competitions might be held once the Dzong reopens.