Timings : 24 hrs
Time Required : 1 - 2 days
Entry Fee : No Entry Fee
Nestled between the Lahaul and Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh, Keylong is a serene place perfect for a getaway away from the tourists towns of the state. Due to the dry cold weather, Keylong does not have a lot of greenery, but the snow-covered mountains covered with mist are picturesque. Situated at an altitude of 3080 meters, the tiny hamlet has a rich culture and a laid back, small-town lifestyle.
Keylong is generally a stop-over for the tourists travelling in the region., but those who stay longer are able to explore the hidden monasteries and undertake scenic walks enveloped by peaceful atmosphere. The mind-stirring small town is cut off from the outside world from November to mid-May due to the heavy snowfall at Rohtang Pass in the winters. To travel to Keylong, it is mandate to take a permit pass from the Tourist Development Council Manali.
3. Shashur Monastery: Located at an elevation of 600 meters, Shashur Monastery peacefully sits on top of a hill 3 km away from Keylong. The walls of this monastery are embellished with beautiful paintings of 84 Siddhas of Buddhism. The best time to visit this monastery is during the months of June and July because of the celebration of an annual festival that is celebrated with joy.
4. Tayul Monastery: Tayul translates in English to 'the chosen place' and is located at a distance of 6 km from Keylong. The monastery is home to a grand library that houses thousands of ancient texts. The huge and splendid statue of Guru Padmasambhava makes this monastery a must visit.
5. Suraj Tal: Believed to be the lake of the Sun God, Suraj Tal is situated amidst snow-covered mountains at an elevation of 4960 meters. The lake is considered to be pristine and a dip in this lake will not only make your body feel rejuvenated but will also purge it from impurities.
6. Darcha: At a mere distance of 24 km from Keylong, Darcha is just the place to stay in if you are planning to camp. Located at an elevation of 3360 meters, Darcha is a huge camping site where trekkers camp and enjoy the beauty of nature.
7. Ancient Fort at Gondla: As the name suggests this fort was built in the 18th century and is situated 18 km away from Keylong. The fort is eight stories long with intricate architecture. The best part about this fort is that it is situated near the Chandra River.
8. Lahaul and Spiti Tribal Museum: Lahaul and Spiti Museum is rich in artefacts relating to the rich culture of this area. Many beautifully woven clothes, old masks, utensils, handmade carpets, treasures and archaeological artefacts are on display. This is a must visit as you will be able to explore and learn about the history and culture of local people.
9. Pin Valley National Park: This is a haven for many endangered flora and fauna in Himachal Pradesh. A trip into the dense forest is a must to see the wildlife including the snow leopard, blue sheep and ibex. Safari rides are also available, and you can even hire a tour guide to explore the national park. The best part about this park is that you can even indulge in a camping tour.
10. Deepak Tal: This is a tranquil lake in Keylong that provides splendid scenic beauty. The water of the lake is fresh, cold and clear. Sit by this lake and dip your feet in Crystal clear water to enjoy it at its best.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
Ask a question from the travellers who have experience.
Q. Howz this place ?n how was ur experience..? Is it worth visiting this placeAnswer this question