Ideal duration: 2-3 days
Best Time: July - October Read More
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
Aberdare National Park, located in the central highlands of Kenya, is renowned for being home to the famous Big Five - elephants, lions, leopards, buffalos, and rhinos, as well as some very rare and elusive game species such as the endangered bongo, giant forest hogs, servals, and colobus monkeys. Aberdare National Park is also a bird lover's paradise, with over 290 recorded bird species, including the striking Jackson's francolin and the endangered Aberdare warbler.
The majestic Aberdare Range, the park's moorlands, and bamboo forests add to its unique beauty. Additionally, the Ol Pejeta Conservancy within the park, serves as a sanctuary for endangered white and black rhinos, including the well-known rhino called Morani. Apart from its remarkable wildlife, Aberdare National Park boasts breathtaking attractions like Chania and Karuru Falls and Kikuyu Village.
Park Entry Fee Per Person:
Citizen: Adult – KSH 300, Child – KSH 215
Resident: Adult – KSH 300, Child KSH 215
Non-Residents: Adult – USD 52, Child – USD 26
Vehicle Fee Per Day:
Less than 6 seats - KSH 300
6 to 12 seats - KSH 1030
13 to 24 seats - KSH 2585
25 to 44 seats - KSH 4050
45 seats and above - KSH 5000
Special Activity Charges:
Night Game Drive (per person per trip) – KSH 2155
Guided Tours (per guide up to 4 hours & over 4 hours) – KSH 1720 / KSH 3015
Horse Riding (without rider) – KSH 2585
Private horses (per day) – KSH 1030
Walking Safaris (per person per day) – KSH 1500
Cycling (per day) – KSH 215
Entrance Gates and Timings:
Aberdare National Park offers multiple entrance gates for convenient access to its diverse landscapes and wildlife.
1. Main Gate (Kiandongoro Gate): The Main Gate is located near Nyeri town, approximately 150 kilometres north of Nairobi. It is the main entrance point to the park allowing visitors to enter and exit the park.
2. Treetops Gate: The Treetops Gate is situated near the famous Treetops Lodge, known for its unique location overlooking a watering hole. It is the nearest gate to the Mweiga airstrip.
3. Ark Gate: It serves as an entry point to the park from the eastern side and is closer to the town of Nyeri.
4. Karuru Falls Gate: The Karuru Falls Gate is located close to Karuru Falls, a stunning waterfall within the park. This gate allows visitors to access the Karuru Falls area.
5. Mutubio Gate: The Mutubio Gate is situated near the southern end of Mutubio Swamp, known for its rich biodiversity. It is close to the town of Ruhuruini.
6. Ruhuruini Gate: The Ruhuruini Gate is located near the Ruhuruini River, on the eastern side of the park. It is the lesser-used gate and can be avoided during rain.
7. Shamata Gate: This gate is closer to the eastern side of the Aberdare Ranges. It provides entry to the park from the town of Shamata.
8. Rhino Gate: It serves as an entry point to the park from the western side and is closer to the town of Njabini.
9. Wandere Gate: It serves as an entry point from the western side of the park and is closer to the town of Naivasha.
All the gates are open throughout the year, typically from 06:00 AM to 06:00 PM.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free