Here is the list of 10 shopping centres and malls for shopping in Georgetown:
1. 1st Avenue MallOne of the busiest and the most popular shopping malls in Georgetown, this multilevel center is found in the heart of the city showcasing the latest and trendiest fashion collections in town. H&M, Hush Puppies, Giordano, and Pierre Cardin are some of the popular fashion brands. Sporting accessories are found in Level G, L1, and L2 while food and dining outlets are found in Level G, L3, and L4. This is also a great place to buy Health and Beauty products. Note that this mall is linked to Prangin Mall and Komtar Mall through two overhead bridges.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: 1st Avenue 182, Jalan Magazine 10300, Georgetown, Penang, MalaysiaTelephone: +60 4-261 1511What to Buy: Fashion Accessories, Branded Clothes, Health & Beauty productsCost: Expensive
2. Penang Times SquareSituated a km away from Komtar Mall, in the heart of the city, this is a popular hub for fashion apparel and is often found crowded with shopaholics and fashionistas. There are also plenty of entertainment options available here including theatre, live shows, events, and dance practices. Nail spas, Salons, techy shops, cafes, and restaurants are other major highlights of this place.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: 144, Jalan Dato Keramat, George Town, 10150 George Town, Pulau Pinang,MalaysiaTelephone: +60 4-226 4100What to Buy: Fashion apparels, Beauty products, electronic gadgets, sports accessoriesCost: Premium
3. Gurney PlazaLocated along the Gurney drive, this is a popular 2nd largest waterfront shopping mall in Georgetown housing more than a range of 380 retail stores in a nine-story building. Armani, Marks & Spencer, Coach, Calvin Klein, Omega, and Swarovski are a few of the well-known names here. The luxurious Golden Cinema experience on the top floor along with 57 extensive Cafes and restaurants has made it a favorite entertainment spot amongst youngsters. Apart from luxury items, it also houses an extensive supermarket named Cold Storage in the basement for plenty of home accessories.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: K-7F-O6, Gurney Dr, 10250 George Town, Penang, MalaysiaTelephone: +60 4-222 8222What to Buy: Branded Fashion accessories and clothes, luxury goodsCost: Expensive
4. Gurney Paragon MallGurney Paragon is a famous residential and retail complex that opened in 2013. With over 8 levels of shopping arcades, it houses plenty of fashion boutiques, including international labels. Toy World, H&M, Aldo, and Adidas, Samsung, Crocs, and Sephora are a few of the notable brands found here. This premium shopping mall is best known for fashion, health, and beauty salons, and spas. The mall’s top-level houses IMAX as major showbiz.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: 163-D, Gurney Paragon Mall, Gurney Drive, 10250 George TownTelephone: +60 4-228 8266What to Buy: Health and Beauty products (Level 7), Fashion products, gadgetsCost: Premium
5. Prangin MallThis is one of the affordable places to buy cheap goods and home accessories in Georgetown for those who are looking for bargains and discounts. This is a 5 story retail complex that comprises departmental stores, supermarkets, and other electronic gadget stores. Many local brands and small stores can be found here. Vision Five Optics and Lotus Five Star, an 8 screen theatre is a major attraction here. Look out for discounts and offers during festivities!
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: Prangin Mall, No 33, Jalan Dr Lim Chwee Leong, George Town, 10100 George Town,Pulau Pinang, MalaysiaTelephone: +60 4-262 2233What to Buy: Home appliances, cheap clothes, electronic gadgetsCost: Affordable
6. Komtar MallThe oldest shopping mall in Georgetown, Komtar is a 65 storey high rise tower, both a tourist attraction as well as a shopping destination. There are 4 main levels here that house plenty of fashion showrooms, accessories, cosmetics, digital gadgets, cameras, and other departmental stores and marts. Both local boutiques and international branded labels can be found here. Some of the major brands found here include Nike, McDonald, Thai Odyssey, KFC, and Dior. Note that the mall’s extended strip named Komtar Walk is connected to the Prangin Mall in the vicinity.
Opening Hours: 11 AM to 8 PM (Monday to Friday), 11 AM to 9 PM (Saturday and Sunday)Location: Lebuh Tek Soon, George Town, 10100 George Town, Pulau PinangTelephone: +60 4-263 8301What to Buy:Fashion Accessories & Boutiques – Level 3 & Level 4Electronic Accessories – Level 2Cost: Little Expensive
7. Penang PlazaWith just about 2 floors of retail outlets, Penang Plaza was the first mini shopping complex founded in Georgetown. A lot of furniture showrooms, electronics, and supermarkets can be found here to purchase everyday necessities and goods. Level 2 comprises various Cafes and local eateries catering to various age groups and local residents. Guardian pharmacy and bookstores are a major highlight here.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 10 PMLocation: 1st Floor, Penang Plaza, Unit no.111, 126, Jalan Burma, 10050 George Town,Penang, MalaysiaTelephone: +60 4-210 6060What to Buy: Books, Furniture, Home appliancesCost: Affordable
8. Little Penang Street MarketOrganized under the Penang street council, this is a non-profit community venture that promotes local niche handicrafts and artworks. Antique decors, beaded shoes, traditional artworks, painted tiles, tainted glasses, hand-painted Batik, Kebaya, and rattan baskets, are just a few of the products available in the exhibit. They also conduct cultural festivities and events such as live music and dance shows and theatre performances promoting the local culture. With more than 80 stalls in the arena, this market is always packed up by thousands of tourists and locals attending the event. At times, book-reading activities and art galleries are also conducted here.
Opening Hours: 10 AM to 5 PM (Last Sunday of every month)Location: Upper Penang RoadTelephone: +60 12-475 9079What to Buy: Hand-painted Batik, Home Decors, Woven Baskets, Bamboo crafts and ArtworksCost: Premium
9. Chowrasta BazaarAlso known as Pasar Chowrasta, this is one of the trusted go-to local markets for the folks of Georgetown. Local vegetables and groceries, fresh food, everyday objects, and cheap clothes are mainly found here. There is also a downstairs market, leading you to dry fruits, local delicacies, fresh fruits, nutmegs, and biscuits. This is a jam-packed market occupied by an array of small scale vendors and stalls. Note that you are free to bargain here to get the best possible price!
Opening Hours: 6:30 AM to 6 PMLocation: Lot 26, Jalan Chowrasta, George Town, 10100 George Town, Pulau PinangWhat to Buy: Spices, Clothes, Groceries, and dry fruitsCost: Affordable
10. Lorong Kulit Flea MarketFor those looking for the cheapest shopping in Georgetown, this Flea market is the right spot! This is one of the biggest flea markets in Penang with plenty of tourists, locals, and budget-travelers bargaining over the perfect piece of antiques and décor items. You can collect the best memorabilia, antique pieces, toys, and home goods at the roadside stalls displayed here. Household pets can also be found here at affordable prices. Though the prices are cheap here, you can also bargain for a better price.
Shopping is always a fun activity to do and can never get boring! Visit the above hotspots for shopping in Georgetown for a memorable and fun-filled shopping experience!Opening Hours: 6 AM to 1 PMLocation: 625 Jalan Dato Keramat Georgetown, 10460 George Town, Pulau Pinang, MalaysiaWhat to Buy: Antique items, cheap clothes, home décor, hardware, and second-hand electronicsCost: Very Cheap